Just off the Grandeur... pros/cons, and willing to answer any questions!

#21
East of the Sun, West of the Moon
5,527 Posts
Joined May 2004
Thanks for the review. Grandeur is the perfect size ship for us. I do miss the observatory at the bow though.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature


#22
United States
3,147 Posts
Joined Jul 2014
Originally posted by Kamlhj
One more question - do you know who the captain is? Thanks again!
An impossible to spell Norwegian name in August.

Staff Captain was Rune something (not around my cruise takeaways).
#23
Central Florida
1,705 Posts
Joined Sep 2008
Originally posted by Canadianmama3
Thanks for the post. I'm taking my kids on grandeur in march.

I'm a bit concerned about the comments about the teens. I have a 16 and 15 year old and don't want them to be bored. But then it hit me that teenagers can be so different it may have been those particular teenagers that weren't into anything being offered. I plan on bringing card games, Yahtzee etc and know my kids will enjoy just hanging out with me doing things like that. And they are excited about the rock wall.

Do they do things like trivia, bingo, or the silly things where they teach you a dance? I know it sounds funny but my kids would get a kick out of it. They are pretty laid back and can have fun doing most things.



Sent from my iPhone using Forums
My son was 15 on his second cruise, on Enchantment. He immediately made friends and wanted very little to do with us except for meal times. He loved the teen club!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
@cruisin_keto
Gina & Chris
Kindness matters!




Future:
Adventure OTS - 9 day Southern Caribbean - 1/2019
Symphony OTS - 4 day Bahamas Sampler - 5/2019
Carnival Elation - 5 day Caribbean - 2/2020
Alaska - Celebrity - 2023
Hawaii - Pride of America - 7 day RT 2025


Past:
RCL Freedom - 12-17-2017 Preview- Semi-live report
RCL Majesty - 12-12-2016 Review
RCL Enchantment - 10-25-2013
RCL Monarch - 12-12-2008
RCL Sovereign - 10-6-2008
#24
Maryland
83 Posts
Joined Mar 2013
Originally posted by SRF
An impossible to spell Norwegian name in August.

Staff Captain was Rune something (not around my cruise takeaways).
Pulled this off the "Current Captains Con't" thread: Grandeur OTS - Capt Yngvar Knutsen (started rotation 9-9-17)
#25
mass.
148 Posts
Joined Dec 2009
Loved the Grandeur and hope to sail her soon. Did they have Zumba and other dancing? Who's cruise director? Was food and service still outstanding?
We're looking at Anthem which we sailed a few years ago great ship but poor food and service. Did Grandeur last year loved the food and service and activities. Wonderful fellow passengers. But Bayonne is much closer to our home in New England. Any activities schedules would be appreciated.
Thanks. Gotta keep my wife happy!
#26
265 Posts
Joined Jan 2016
Originally posted by cementhands
Loved the Grandeur and hope to sail her soon. Did they have Zumba and other dancing? Who's cruise director? Was food and service still outstanding?
We're looking at Anthem which we sailed a few years ago great ship but poor food and service. Did Grandeur last year loved the food and service and activities. Wonderful fellow passengers. But Bayonne is much closer to our home in New England. Any activities schedules would be appreciated.
Thanks. Gotta keep my wife happy!
  • They had dance classes almost every day in the Centrum
  • "Cruisin" Susan Adams was the CD in July, but you should check out the running thread for the latest information (they rotate every four months or so)
  • The food and service was pretty good almost everywhere except for Giovanni's Table, but Chops was outstanding
  • I have all of the Cruise Compasses saved from our nine day Bermuda and Bahamas cruise, but I am not home right now, I will post them later if you want
  • For us, the cruise was 10/10, I would highly recommend EXCEPT if you want a balcony cabin
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Coming up:
  • Celebrity Summit- August 2018 Bermuda
  • Freedom of the Seas- August 2018 Southern Caribbean
126 nights at sea (so far!):
  • Regal Princess- 2017 Eastern Caribbean
  • Norwegian Breakaway- 2017 Bermuda
  • Grandeur of the Seas- 2017 Bermuda and Bahamas
  • Carnival Pride- 2016 Bahamas
  • Adventure of the Seas- 2016 Southern Caribbean
  • Norwegian Gem- 2015 Florida and Bahamas
  • Carnival Pride- 2014 Florida and Bahamas
  • Celebrity Summit- 2013 Bermuda
  • Disney Magic- 2012 Florida and Bahamas
  • MS Veendam- 2011 Bermuda
  • Celebrity Mercury- 2011 Eastern Caribbean
  • Explorer of the Seas- 2009 Bermuda and Eastern Caribbean
  • Caribbean Princess- 2008 Bermuda and Eastern Caribbean
  • Norwegian Spirit- 2007 Bermuda and Eastern Caribbean
  • Norwegian Dawn- 2006 Bermuda and Bahamas
  • MS Amsterdam- 2005 Alaska
  • Carnival Legend- 2004 Eastern Caribbean
  • Norwegian Sea- 2003 Bermuda
#27
Baltimore,MD
46 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
Originally posted by SRF
An impossible to spell Norwegian name in August.

Staff Captain was Rune something (not around my cruise takeaways).
Thank you very much. I just didn't want it to be that Klaus guy.
#29
Baltimore,MD
46 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
Originally posted by Oslo
Pulled this off the "Current Captains Con't" thread: Grandeur OTS - Capt Yngvar Knutsen (started rotation 9-9-17)
Thank you very much!
#30
Baltimore,MD
46 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
So, does anyone know how much karaoke there is on RC? The last trip I took (about 4yrs ago) they only had 3hrs over a 7 day cruise (this cruise will be 9 day).
#31
Central Illinois
135,278 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
Originally posted by Kamlhj
So, does anyone know how much karaoke there is on RC? The last trip I took (about 4yrs ago) they only had 3hrs over a 7 day cruise (this cruise will be 9 day).
Varies with activity manager/cruise director. Some cruises I see it every night, some just a night or two.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Bob

Past Cruises

Celebrity: Mercury
RCCL: Adventure, Allure, Brilliance, Enchantment, Explorer, Freedom, Independence, Jewel, Legend, Liberty, Majesty, Mariner, Monarch, Navigator, Oasis, Radiance, Rhapsody, Serenade, Sovereign, Vision, Voyager
#32
United States
3,147 Posts
Joined Jul 2014
Originally posted by coolcruiser777
  • They had dance classes almost every day in the Centrum
  • "Cruisin" Susan Adams was the CD in July, but you should check out the running thread for the latest information (they rotate every four months or so)
  • The food and service was pretty good almost everywhere except for Giovanni's Table, but Chops was outstanding
  • I have all of the Cruise Compasses saved from our nine day Bermuda and Bahamas cruise, but I am not home right now, I will post them later if you want
What was wrong with Giovanni's?


The service was great, the food tasted great. I got the oso buco, and they brought me half a cow.


I would have liked some more traditional Italian offerings.
#33
265 Posts
Joined Jan 2016
Originally posted by SRF
[/list]What was wrong with Giovanni's?


The service was great, the food tasted great. I got the oso buco, and they brought me half a cow.


I would have liked some more traditional Italian offerings.
Our waiter was one of the rudest servers we have ever had on a cruise and the food was definitely not up to par. We went to Giovanni's on the Adventure and it was one of the best meals we have ever had on a cruise ship. We were glad to go back and were met with lukewarm food that tasted like plastic and a snarky inattentive waiter (he had TWO tables). The manager was helpful, at least. Maybe it was just an off night for them, but it was by far our worst meal of the entire cruise.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Coming up:
  • Celebrity Summit- August 2018 Bermuda
  • Freedom of the Seas- August 2018 Southern Caribbean
126 nights at sea (so far!):
  • Regal Princess- 2017 Eastern Caribbean
  • Norwegian Breakaway- 2017 Bermuda
  • Grandeur of the Seas- 2017 Bermuda and Bahamas
  • Carnival Pride- 2016 Bahamas
  • Adventure of the Seas- 2016 Southern Caribbean
  • Norwegian Gem- 2015 Florida and Bahamas
  • Carnival Pride- 2014 Florida and Bahamas
  • Celebrity Summit- 2013 Bermuda
  • Disney Magic- 2012 Florida and Bahamas
  • MS Veendam- 2011 Bermuda
  • Celebrity Mercury- 2011 Eastern Caribbean
  • Explorer of the Seas- 2009 Bermuda and Eastern Caribbean
  • Caribbean Princess- 2008 Bermuda and Eastern Caribbean
  • Norwegian Spirit- 2007 Bermuda and Eastern Caribbean
  • Norwegian Dawn- 2006 Bermuda and Bahamas
  • MS Amsterdam- 2005 Alaska
  • Carnival Legend- 2004 Eastern Caribbean
  • Norwegian Sea- 2003 Bermuda
#34
United States
3,147 Posts
Joined Jul 2014
Strange, we had great service and the food was quite good.

Must have been a bad night that you went.
#35
Baltimore,MD
46 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
Originally posted by Host Clarea
Varies with activity manager/cruise director. Some cruises I see it every night, some just a night or two.
Thank you Clarea. Hoping its a lot!
#36
259 Posts
Joined Aug 2001
Originally posted by coolcruiser777
  • I have all of the Cruise Compasses saved from our nine day Bermuda and Bahamas cruise, but I am not home right now, I will post them later if you want
Hi coolcruiser, yes please post the Compasses from your cruise when you have time. We are going in January and I would love to read them. Thanks, Carley
#37
Ohio
93 Posts
Joined Jan 2015
Thanks for posting about your cruise. We have this same cruise booked for May 24, 2018. We have never sailed on RC and I am really excited to give them a try. What kind of things did you do in Bermuda? We are looking at a sunset/rum tasting tour for the first evening and maybe an island tour for the next morning. Do you have any suggestions? What is the cost of RC specialty restaurants? Thanks again for your help. I am sure I will have more questions in the coming months.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
#38
265 Posts
Joined Jan 2016
Originally posted by luv2cruiseeverywhere
Thanks for posting about your cruise. We have this same cruise booked for May 24, 2018. We have never sailed on RC and I am really excited to give them a try. What kind of things did you do in Bermuda? We are looking at a sunset/rum tasting tour for the first evening and maybe an island tour for the next morning. Do you have any suggestions? What is the cost of RC specialty restaurants? Thanks again for your help. I am sure I will have more questions in the coming months.
The one bad thing about this itinerary is that the port times aren't good. In Bermuda, we went to Horseshoe Bay on day one. If you are doing Horseshoe Bay definitely do it day one because you will be the only ship in port and chairs/umbrella rentals are half price by the time you get there. Keep in mind that both days you are there are weekends. On day two the Norwegian Dawn pulls in and we just hung around the Dockyard. Island tour does sound like a good idea though. Do not feel like you have to book excursions through RCCL. We tried to go to Hamilton but the ferry did not come for unknown reasons...

I believe Giovanni's is around $20 and Chops is around $30. We did the BOGO package where you pay half price for two nights but you have to go on the first two nights. If you want to book anything, wait. A sale will pop up in your online cruise planner with discounts on dining, beverage packages, excursions, etc.

I will try to post the compasses soon.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Coming up:
  • Celebrity Summit- August 2018 Bermuda
  • Freedom of the Seas- August 2018 Southern Caribbean
126 nights at sea (so far!):
  • Regal Princess- 2017 Eastern Caribbean
  • Norwegian Breakaway- 2017 Bermuda
  • Grandeur of the Seas- 2017 Bermuda and Bahamas
  • Carnival Pride- 2016 Bahamas
  • Adventure of the Seas- 2016 Southern Caribbean
  • Norwegian Gem- 2015 Florida and Bahamas
  • Carnival Pride- 2014 Florida and Bahamas
  • Celebrity Summit- 2013 Bermuda
  • Disney Magic- 2012 Florida and Bahamas
  • MS Veendam- 2011 Bermuda
  • Celebrity Mercury- 2011 Eastern Caribbean
  • Explorer of the Seas- 2009 Bermuda and Eastern Caribbean
  • Caribbean Princess- 2008 Bermuda and Eastern Caribbean
  • Norwegian Spirit- 2007 Bermuda and Eastern Caribbean
  • Norwegian Dawn- 2006 Bermuda and Bahamas
  • MS Amsterdam- 2005 Alaska
  • Carnival Legend- 2004 Eastern Caribbean
  • Norwegian Sea- 2003 Bermuda
#39
West Hempstead, NY
5,770 Posts
Joined Jan 2003
We were on the Grandeur last December for her 20th birthday, before she went into dry dock. Now we are scheduled to do a 9 day in February.
So how does she look after the rehab?


Cheers
Len
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
There are No bad cruises, just bad cruisers

You have seen bits and pieces of our Baltic adventure, now see the entire album.
http://s834.photobucket.com/albums/z...fan13/baltics/

We have also cruised to wonderful Hawaii, check out our wonderful time in this paradise. will be happy to answer any questions if anyone is interested
http://s834.photobucket.com/albums/z...tfan13/Hawaii/

Check us out touring the great Northwest and then our marvelous cruise to Alaska. Again, any questions, just ask away
http://s834.photobucket.com/albums/z.../new%20alaska/
#40
Ballinger - Bucks UK
836 Posts
Joined Feb 2011
Originally posted by luv2cruiseeverywhere
Thanks for posting about your cruise. We have this same cruise booked for May 24, 2018. We have never sailed on RC and I am really excited to give them a try. What kind of things did you do in Bermuda? We are looking at a sunset/rum tasting tour for the first evening and maybe an island tour for the next morning. Do you have any suggestions? What is the cost of RC specialty restaurants? Thanks again for your help. I am sure I will have more questions in the coming months.
Hi there. I am also booked on this cruise and it is my first RCI as well. Am looking forward to it. Hopefully we will meet up. Have cruised many times and different lines.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature


Sailed - Regent Seven Seas 8 cruises, Seabourn Odyssey, Pullmantur, Crown Princess, Celebrity Eclipse, P& O Arcadia, Cunard Queen Victoria (2), Queen Elizabeth (Round the World,) Queen Mary 2 (Transatlantic)