Viking Air -Please share your experience

Cairn Mom

We are planning to arrive the day our pre-cruise in Prague begins. However, at cruise end, we are thinking of flying from Budapest to Amsterdam and staying for a few days before flying back to the states. We would leave Budapest as scheduled so I’m assuming we’d have a transfer to the airport. We just wouldn’t have a transfer in Amsterdam, correct?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

However, be aware that there is a stopover-fee of $200pp when you break up your trip like that. I learned this by accident when I made our flight arrangements for our upcoming trip. And, you will have to ask about transfers in Budapest because I'm not sure how that works and assuming can get you into trouble.

If we plan to arrive on the scheduled day of cruise but stay a couple of extra days at end of cruise (and pay the $100 deviation fee pp), can we still get the transfer from airport at the start? Also, if we pay the $100 deviation fee, do we have to pay an additional $50 to book our own flights? Thanks!

If we plan to arrive on the scheduled day of cruise but stay a couple of extra days at end of cruise (and pay the $100 deviation fee pp), can we still get the transfer from airport at the start? Also, if we pay the $100 deviation fee, do we have to pay an additional $50 to book our own flights? Thanks!

The $50pp is the Custom Air fee and you pay it in order to talk with the folks in Viking Air. Then if you choose to deviate from arrive on Day 1 and/or depart on Day Last, there is a deviation fee of $100pp. If you choose flights that are not on Viking's list of flights, you may also incur additional airfare (imposed by the airlines). Normally, you still keep your transfers on any leg where you don't deviate.

I opted to pay the $50 pp fee to ensure we had seats on the only non stop from Chicago to Amsterdam for our first river cruise in late Nov. and was happy with the experience. I did not upgrade to premium economy at that time. Is Vikings price the same as the airlines or do they offer a discount?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Please keep in mind Viking Air resells the bulk rate fares from airlines so the airlines generally have nothing to do with your reservations should you run into an issue like flight delays or cancellations. Viking Air claims you are "protected" if you book your flights thru them especially if you buy their flight protection plan. However, in reality, you are on your own especially if you can't make the embarkation due to flight delays or cancellation. Viking Air will provide you instructions on how to catch the train or transportation so you can get to the next port to enable you to board the ship but Viking Air won't take care of any of that arrangement. You are on your own. So be sure to add in plenty of cushion in your arrival or better still sign up a pre-cruise so you won't be "late".

I opted to pay the $50 pp fee to ensure we had seats on the only non stop from Chicago to Amsterdam for our first river cruise in late Nov. and was happy with the experience. I did not upgrade to premium economy at that time. Is Vikings price the same as the airlines or do they offer a discount?

Sometimes it it a bargain and sometimes you can do better on your own. For each offer, you have to do the math. The air deals are always changing (usually once a month) and if you are not in a hurry to book and if you are willing to choose your cruise by air deal rather than itinerary, you can score some pretty good deals, including free air on some itineraries. Check prices on the first or second of the month.

For example, we did the same cruise, two years in a row. The first year, airfare was $445; the second year, it was $750. We took the air deal the first year but canceled the air portion the second year after we found that we could do it for less on our own. You can do that, sign up for the Viking air and then cancel after you have had a chance to check prices.

Thanks f0r the additional information. I should have been more specific in my question. Is Viking’s charge to upgrade to premium economy the same as the airline’s?

I’ve been trying to determine the same for my own Rhine cruise next April. Short answer - it’s hard to tell.

I’m also flying ORD -> AMS. Currently, only two airlines offer direct flights on this route and neither have PE. Return flights out of Basel would be on partner airlines which do have PE.

For me, and with the cities I’m flying in/out of, it does not appear possible to book one flight on KLM in Economy and a return on Air France in PE (or United/Lufthansa). Maybe a TA can do it - Viking Air quoted me $400 to upgrade my return flight to PE.

If I flew Lufthansa/Air France the whole way (and gave up a direct flight to AMS), I think it would cost $2,500-$3,000.

Edit: most airlines will offer up an upgrade prior to departure, at check-in, at the gate - or on board. Lufthansa allows you to bid on an upgrade ahead of time. I can’t find concrete details about much these upgrades cost. I’m sure an algorithm figures out the optimal price for the airline. I’m not unhappy with paying $400 to guarantee PE on a return flight but your (air) mileage may vary.

Edited by 3rdCoastFan
Additional info.

I called Viking and since my flights are already ticketed , they referred me to Lufthansa. PE would be $290 pp one way - not sure if I’ll do that; as you mentioned, there are other opportunities to upgrade before the flight.

I am planning to book premium economy right from the get-go. I am very grateful to the the knowledgeable posters who helped me make this decision. I will research what I want and price it. If Viking Air can do better I’ll use them, if not, I’ll get my money back and do it myself. For a different of a few hundred more, I will leave it with Viking. The transfers are worth it.

This thread is great. I hope many people will benefit from it. I have. Particular thx to Peregrina651 and Jeff for sharing their knowledge and expertise.

I am planning to book premium economy right from the get-go. I am very grateful to the the knowledgeable posters who helped me make this decision. I will research what I want and price it. If Viking Air can do better I’ll use them, if not, I’ll get my money back and do it myself. For a different of a few hundred more, I will leave it with Viking. The transfers are worth it.

This thread is great. I hope many people will benefit from it. I have. Particular thx to Peregrina651 and Jeff for sharing their knowledge and expertise.

And, if your timing is right, you will have your air arrangements before you have to make final payment and not have to worry about being reimbursed.

I called Viking and since my flights are already ticketed , they referred me to Lufthansa. PE would be $290 pp one way - not sure if I’ll do that; as you mentioned, there are other opportunities to upgrade before the flight.

$290 isn’t bad, really. I’d pay that for the peace of mind of knowing I had a PE seat. An offer at the gate or on board would likely be more. You could get lucky with a bid of $200 or less - but you’re at the mercy of the bidding system.

A good reminder, too, that not every PE product is the same. Air France has a very unique seat that appears to be love it or hate it. Many airlines offer an improved economy seat with more leg room and maybe even more recline (KLM’s Economy Comfort, for example) but that is not the same as premium economy. SAS gives you lounge access with PE while Lufthansa charges you €35 - other benefits could include priority security lines or boarding.

So before you pay extra, via Viking, a TA or on your own, make sure that the seats and attendant benefits are worth it.

That actually seems pretty reasonable to me, for the difference between true PE and regular economy. Future offers to upgrade will depend entirely on cabin availability, and could be for a much higher price. If it was me, I'd jump on that $290 while it's available!

Viking states that you can purchase airport transfers from them even if you purchase your own airfare. This way you are staying with the Viking group.

Purchased separately those transfers would almost certainly cost much more than a cab, or Uber, for two. Plus you wouldn't have to wait around for them to round up others from different flights. The transfers seem like a good deal if they are included with one of their flights which is itself a bargain.

Of course if not having to deal with transportation from a strange airport is a strong point than go with it at just about any cost.