Asian Visa Entry Query

Jackielan

Hi All,

We have British passports and depart for Singapore in December for the Christmas and New Year cruise.

From what I have read, the Visas for Vietnam will be arranged on board by Princess for a small fee, but my concern is if we qualify for the 144 hour Visa Exemption for China, so I would like some feedback from past passengers who have been to China to see if they have had to obtain a visa or not.

The Visa requirements outlined on the Princess website are as follows :

CHINESE VISA REQUIREMENTS & 144-HOUR VISA EXEMPTION

We recommend a single-entry China visa for this itinerary. However, many guests disembarking in Shanghai may not require a Chinese visa if: 1) Your homeward flight from Shanghai goes directly to a country other than China or the last country other than China visited on the cruise; 2) Your homeward flight departs Shanghai within 144 hours of arrival in Shanghai; and 3) You do not leave the Yangtze Delta region (Shanghai, Jiangsu and Zhejiang) during that time.

YOU MUST PRESENT PROOF OF YOUR HOMEWARD FLIGHT ARRANGEMENTS FROM SHANGHAI UPON CRUISE CHECK-IN OR YOU WILL BE DENIED BOARDING WITHOUT A CHINESE VISA. You will also be required to present proof of your homeward flight arrangements to immigration officials when disembarking in Shanghai.

We disembark in Shanghai and Princess take us directly to the airport where we fly out that same day. However, we have a 4 hour stop over in Hong Kong, which reading between the lines makes me think that a Visa may be required - or am I reading too much into this ?

The previous port we are in before reaching Shanghai will be Busan South Korea.

Any feedback will be welcomed.

Thanks in Advance

Hi All,

We have British passports and depart for Singapore in December for the Christmas and New Year cruise.

From what I have read, the Visas for Vietnam will be arranged on board by Princess for a small fee, but my concern is if we qualify for the 144 hour Visa Exemption for China, so I would like some feedback from past passengers who have been to China to see if they have had to obtain a visa or not.

The Visa requirements outlined on the Princess website are as follows :

CHINESE VISA REQUIREMENTS & 144-HOUR VISA EXEMPTION

We recommend a single-entry China visa for this itinerary. However, many guests disembarking in Shanghai may not require a Chinese visa if: 1) Your homeward flight from Shanghai goes directly to a country other than China or the last country other than China visited on the cruise; 2) Your homeward flight departs Shanghai within 144 hours of arrival in Shanghai; and 3) You do not leave the Yangtze Delta region (Shanghai, Jiangsu and Zhejiang) during that time.

YOU MUST PRESENT PROOF OF YOUR HOMEWARD FLIGHT ARRANGEMENTS FROM SHANGHAI UPON CRUISE CHECK-IN OR YOU WILL BE DENIED BOARDING WITHOUT A CHINESE VISA. You will also be required to present proof of your homeward flight arrangements to immigration officials when disembarking in Shanghai.

We disembark in Shanghai and Princess take us directly to the airport where we fly out that same day. However, we have a 4 hour stop over in Hong Kong, which reading between the lines makes me think that a Visa may be required - or am I reading too much into this ?

The previous port we are in before reaching Shanghai will be Busan South Korea.

Any feedback will be welcomed.

Thanks in Advance

Hi,there's a lengthy current thread about this subject on the Asia board of this forum.Probably get your question answered there,cheers,Brian.

I believe you are on the Sapphire Princess on Dec 21 leaving Singapore to Shanghai, China? With a British Passport you should be able to fly out without a Visa under the 144 hour rule. Hong Kong while part of China is a Special Zone and no Visa is required. That is the way it should be but Princess Cruise Lines or the Government in China could read the rules in a different way. Why would you risk a possible issue over a few hundred dollars in visa fees if you are uneasy about this.

My own opinion from traveling in China several times you will not have any issues. But I have not traveled on a British Passport. Should be a great cruise.

I am doing this cruise back to back with the Diamond cruise on 7th December and we have discussed this on one of the roll calls.

You will not have any problem at all and, assuming you have an EU passport do not need any visas (Vietnam are a bit like Princess and shareholder credits in that they have not yet reconfirmed this but they soon will. Remember lots of French go to Vietnam for their hols)

Ignore the bit about me talking about my possible need to get a Visa (on one of the roll calls) my situation is complicated by the fact that I am doing back to back cruises and will visit Vietnam on both cruises thereby possibly breaking the rules of the EU exemption by returning within 30days.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi,

We cruised from Singapore to Shanghai in March, flying from Manchester via Hong Kong on the way out and the way back.

When we entered China our (UK) passports were stamped with a 72 hour waiver, and we flew out of Pudong later that day. For all of our calling points the arrival cards and instructions for completing them were supplied in advance by our Cabin Steward.

vietnam have now extended the visa free program for uk citizens until june 2021. following is from the gov.uk site, so you should have no fee to pay to Princess.

Until 30 June 2021 ‘British Citizen’ passport holders travelling for tourism or business can enter Vietnam for up to a maximum of 15 days (inclusive of dates of entry and exit) without a visa. If you have a different type of British nationality – for example ‘British national (overseas)’ you’ll need to get a visa before entering Vietnam.