Do kids get seasick like adults?

aznrice

It seems such a silly question but I have not read anything about babies/kids get seasick except for adults. We are cruising for the first time with two toddlers, 2 and 4 year old. I am worried that they will get seasick because we have a forward cabin. I should have read this board first before booking our cruise. Do you know if there is any over-counter medication for kids? thank you.

seasickness is the same as carsickness, motion sickeness. I started getting carsick when I was around 15 months old, and it lasted until I was nearly 5. So yes, babies/toddlers/children can get seasick. Ask your doctor for appropriate meds, just in case it happens.

Seabands! They work SO well for children and no medication is needed.

My daughter who is now 4 gets carsick when we drive for over an hour. She wears her writs bands and has NO problem. I was very skeptical but as long as they are on in the correct position they do work.

They have Adult and Children size seabands. Check drugstores or you can find them online.

Seabands! They work SO well for children and no medication is needed.

My daughter who is now 4 gets carsick when we drive for over an hour. She wears her writs bands and has NO problem. I was very skeptical but as long as they are on in the correct position they do work.

They have Adult and Children size seabands. Check drugstores or you can find them online.

I totally agree!! We do 12 hour road trips a couple of times a year and my kiddos used to get car sick if they did not stare straight out the front window. I bought sea bands and now the can read or watch their DVD players with no problem! They work great.

Nope...stop worrying! They'll be fine.

Are you saying kids can't get seasick? If so, you are giving very BAD advise. :rolleyes:

Kids most certainly can get seasick.

To the op, I've found that a placebo can work very well with kids and seasickness. A big part of seasickness in some people is mental. If they think they'll get sick, it'll happen. If it is not mental, and if they are prone to other forms of motion sickness, like in a car, try giving them otc ginger tablets.

I've had problems with motion sickness since I was very little so yes, it is possible. But I think it's very important to consult your doctor for medications and dosages. Chances are that if they don't get car sickness, they won't get sea sickness, but it can't hurt to have something just in case. If nothing else, there are some non-medicinal remedies. You can try ginger, either candied or pills. I've also heard that green apples work well. Gingerale or sprite can help settle the stomach too. Also, I find that when I star to notice motion sickness, I need to get fresh air and be able to see outside. I also prefer to sit facing the way the ship is moving (instead of sideways or backwards.

In the car, I can't read or look at anything for an extended period of time. I have to be able to look out. Otherwise, my inner ear is messed up because I can feel that I am moving but I can't see that I am moving.

For the record, I've had problems with it since I was a toddler and, while I'm in my twenties now, it is better but not gone. I'm still more susceptible to motion! I don't have problems on cruises very much. It's usually only if the seas are really rough.

A waiter told me once that kids never get seasick. Is this true? I don't know, but it would be wise to talk to your doctor ahead of time about what they could take in case they DO get seasick.

And don't forget that staying hydrated with plenty of water (not soda) goes a long way towards avoiding seasickness.

A waiter told me once that kids never get seasick. Is this true? I don't know, but it would be wise to talk to your doctor ahead of time about what they could take in case they DO get seasick.

And don't forget that staying hydrated with plenty of water (not soda) goes a long way towards avoiding seasickness.

That waiter doesn't know what he's talking about. On a recent cruise, it was pretty bumpy and the kids at the table next to us were very seasick, even the toddler in the high chair. If kids can get car sick, they can get sea sick

I don't think the young kids I saw getting sick on the lido deck one day would agree with that waiter's statement!

Archived