Tauranga not Rotorua, NZ

When we were there last summer off the Diamond we walked just out side the port gates and there was an Information office. We went on a small bus tour with a lovely lady and she showed us all the local sights. Even went to a kiwi fruit orchard and tried the kiwi fruit ice cream( a must!!!).

Can't remember the price but it was very reasonable.

As my husband & I will be taking a New Zealand cruise early next spring, we would like to know if we choose not to take the time for the bus trip to Rotorua, are there things to do and see in Tauranga? If so, what would you say are "musts?"

Kia ora,

If you look at the tours being offered through your cruise ship you will get a feel for what's on offer. Tauranga's port of Mount Maunganui docks a short distance from the shopping area of Mount Maunganui and you can enjoy a pleasant walk around Maoa, the 'Mount'. I have lived in both cities. Rotorua is the North Island's 'must see', offering a unique combination of widespread thermal areas, vibrant Maori culture, lakes, forest and adventure activities etc. While there are worker's buses between the cities of Tauranga and Rotorua I suggest that if considering Rotorua you either go by car or on a tour. The various threads on this board should also provide useful assistance.

Aquarians

Tauranga is the Port City for Rotorua . Check your cruise lines Shore Excursion offerings they cover far more than smelly sulphurous mud springs at Rotorua. We went white water rafting up country which was just sensational, and we are not spring chickens .

Don't take the ship's tour in Tauranga. Go see the Maori for real. Contact Indiginous Trails, they are found on the web as well as Facebook. We used them in December 2008 and they gave us a Maori experience on Christmas day of all days. There was no one available in Tauranga to take us on a tour and the ship's tours were not interesting or going where we wanted. But Des Harris of Indiginous Trails really took care of us. Small group we were, and the experience was large.

Art

Phoenix Arizona

Tauranga is a nice little beach town - well the Mount Maunganui area anyways. We spent the day strolling and taking it easy and didn't feel like we missed a thing - but then I grew up in Yellowstone Park area so bubbling mud pots aren't exactly calling me.

Tauranga is a nice little beach town - well the Mount Maunganui area anyways. We spent the day strolling and taking it easy and didn't feel like we missed a thing - but then I grew up in Yellowstone Park area so bubbling mud pots aren't exactly calling me.

kia ora,

Yes, but can you see New Zealanders living there in an area of unique Maori culture, living in the thermal areas with steam coming out of the roadside and alongside houses etc. where the hot water is used for heating, cooking etc.

Aquarians

I think for myself that the cultural part is the biger draw. I was actually not trying to minimize the experience of Rotorua as to point out that Tauranga itself is a good place to get away from the ship/tour craziness for a few hours and relax in an inviting location.

I think for myself that the cultural part is the biger draw. I was actually not trying to minimize the experience of Rotorua as to point out that Tauranga itself is a good place to get away from the ship/tour craziness for a few hours and relax in an inviting location.

Kia ora,

Thanks for comments. I know what you mean about crowds. Having lived in both Tauranga & Rotorua, for a first time visitor I would liken missing Rotorua to calling at Civitavecchia without seeing Rome!

Aquarians

Kia ora,

Thanks for comments. I know what you mean about crowds. Having lived in both Tauranga & Rotorua, for a first time visitor I would liken missing Rotorua to calling at Civitavecchia without seeing Rome!

Aquarians

... or visiting Paris without seeing the Eiffel Tower!

• 3 weeks later...

MUST SEE: Wai-o-tapu (beautiful & amazing - and I've been to Yellowstone) and Te Puia (Maori cultural experience). We loved both! Topped the day excursion off with lunch at Fat Dog's and the day became one of our favorites!

When we were in New Zealand on the Sun Princess last November we took it easy that day and stayed close to the ship and walked around the mountain in the harbor and it was very nice day. All the other days we were on long excursions so it was a relaxing day for us which we needed.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

When we were there last January, we prebooked a tour to Rotorua with Carlton Tours. They were excellent, and we ended up seeing much more than was advertised on their web site. A really nice guy, and only too obliging to fit in anything else that you may want. I highly recommend them.

Jen

Just to add a bit. Their website is http://www.carltontours.co.nz. On the left of their main page is a section for cruise ships. They offer two tours, of which we took the first one. As I said we did extra, as in, we also went to the luge, well worth it, and he got us discount tickets to get in. The views from up top are amazing, and DH said the luge ride was spectacular. I sat up top and waited for him, had a coffee and took in the sights. He also supplied drinks and snacks along the way, that we weren't expecting. A word of caution....the kiwi fruit wine is very potent, just sip it !!! Have a look at what they have to offer, it may suit your needs. One of our best tours, and cheap for what we saw.

Jen

Can you walk on the beach and maybe go for a swim? We are doing a 6 day tour once we get to Auckland so will be seeing Rotorua in depth and maybe just a day on the beach would be nice.

kia ora,

At Mount Maunganui you have a choice of two beautiful beaches very close to where your ship will dock. Both are nice sandy beaches and are an easy flat walk, one being on the inner harbour side near where your cruise ship will be and the other on the ocean side. From either beach you can access the walking track around the Mount where you will get a good view of the surrounding area. The track is easy and if you start on the inner harbour beach side you will finish on the ocean beach side (or vice versa). The ocean beaches are very popular and during our holiday season the ocean beach has a surf patrol. I'm not sure where else you will dock but would be surprised if any of the other NZ ports had safe swimming beaches so close to the ship. Depending when you are at Tauranga, if it is a little cool there is a thermal pool situated between the beaches but you won't see any actual thermal activity. You'll see plenty of that at Rotorua!

Aquarians

We hired a car and went into Rotorua. We stopped at the visitor information centre, and I found the staff to be very unhelpful. I was very disappointed, as I had emailed them before we left and never got a reply.

The town needs to improve the visitor information centre, and employ staff who are only too willing to supply information. They were more interested in selling accommodation and tickets, then giving general information.

We hired a car and went into Rotorua. We stopped at the visitor information centre, and I found the staff to be very unhelpful. I was very disappointed, as I had emailed them before we left and never got a reply.

The town needs to improve the visitor information centre, and employ staff who are only too willing to supply information. They were more interested in selling accommodation and tickets, then giving general information.

We are thinking of renting a car at this port. Do the car hire firms meet you at the port or do you have to make your way to their office independently, and if so how do you do this. Thanks

We are on the Diamond Princess, Jan. 26th in Tauranga - would there be changing rooms/ beach umbrellas to rent in the beach area if we decided to go for a dip? Just love the idea of a nice swim and relaxing on a beach especially as we will be doing lots of other organized tours.

Thanks for all the tips and info... really looking forward to seeing Aus/NZ .

We are on the Diamond Princess, Jan. 26th in Tauranga - would there be changing rooms/ beach umbrellas to rent in the beach area if we decided to go for a dip? Just love the idea of a nice swim and relaxing on a beach especially as we will be doing lots of other organized tours.

Thanks for all the tips and info... really looking forward to seeing Aus/NZ .

kia ora,

Yes, changing rooms at both beaches. You would be lucky to find beach umbrellas for hire as there are a number of trees for shade if required, particularly on the harbour side (the ocean side is the most popular and is my preference).

Aquarians

We are thinking of renting a car at this port. Do the car hire firms meet you at the port or do you have to make your way to their office independently, and if so how do you do this. Thanks

Have a look at this thread, this may answer some of your questions http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1089091&highlight=hertz+car

Archived