Cost of Wifi packages?

I am going on Freedom of the Seas next month and I'm thinking of taking my laptop with me as I am taking a couple online classes and really should keep in touch with it while I am gone?

I tried searching but I'm having trouble finding info about how much the Wifi packages are.

Anyone?

I believe these are the current prices:

60 min.....$35.00

100 min...$55.00

150 min...$75.00

250 min...$100.00

500 min...$150.00

On the Freedom class ships WI-FI is available everywhere even in your cabin. Also depending on your C&A level there should be a discount coupon in your Value Booklet...

Was looking for this also. Thanks for posting. It's good to know that wi-fi is available in the cabins. I think I'll still go to the internet cafe, as the service may be faster.

Service is very slow on their computers. Think early-dial up service speeds! You don't want to be surfing and burning up minutes at those rates. Best way to keep in touch with your laptop is to set up your email account in Outlook Express (or similar) as a POP3 account. And uncheck "send and receive at start up" in the options as well as "send messages immediately."

Once onboard you have to set up your wifi account on their computer but don't use it there. Go to your laptop, sign onto your account and then open O. E. and hit Send/Receive. As soon as all messages come onto your computer sign out of your account. (Do that at the website url provided. I bookmark it.)

Once you are offline, reply to your messages that need it. When yoiu have them all in your Send box, sign on again and click Send/Receive and then sign off. Usually I wait and reply back in my cabin and I also get messages ready to send for the next day with attached photos or whatever I'm going to send.

The entire process might take 2 or 3 minutes of online service each time. I can stretch a free internet coupon (what is it now? 20 min?) out to last for a 7 day cruise!

Q: Is Internet access available from the ship? s.gif A: Yes, depending on the ship there are two options for staying connected while onboard.

Wireless Internet Access (Wi-Fi)

There will be six designated *"Hot Spots" which vary from ship to ship.

To use our WI-FI access, you'll need:

A laptop

Windows operating system

802.11b Wireless networking capability

The cost for Wi-Fi access through your own laptop is:

Base rate is $.65 per minute or choose from one of our prepaid packages:

$35 for 60 minutes

$55 for 100 minutes

$75 for 150 minutes

$100 for 250 minutes

$150 for 500 minutes

All prices are subject to change without notice.

The Internet Cafe/Workstation

These stations provide access to e-mail and the Internet, plus direct connections to favorite websites for stock, sports and entertainment updates. You can also send virtual postcards while at sea, and in ports-of-call worldwide. If you don't have an e-mail account, you can also establish one onboard.

The cost is $.65 per minute or you can choose a prepaid package:

$35 for 60 minutes

$55 for 100 minutes

$75 for 150 minutes

$100 for 250 minutes

$150 for 500 minutes

Available onboard all ships.

Prices are subject to change without notice.

Service is very slow on their computers. Think early-dial up service speeds! You don't want to be surfing and burning up minutes at those rates. Best way to keep in touch with your laptop is to set up your email account in Outlook Express (or similar) as a POP3 account. And uncheck "send and receive at start up" in the options as well as "send messages immediately."

Once onboard you have to set up your wifi account on their computer but don't use it there. Go to your laptop, sign onto your account and then open O. E. and hit Send/Receive. As soon as all messages come onto your computer sign out of your account. (Do that at the website url provided. I bookmark it.)

Once you are offline, reply to your messages that need it. When yoiu have them all in your Send box, sign on again and click Send/Receive and then sign off. Usually I wait and reply back in my cabin and I also get messages ready to send for the next day with attached photos or whatever I'm going to send.

The entire process might take 2 or 3 minutes of online service each time. I can stretch a free internet coupon (what is it now? 20 min?) out to last for a 7 day cruise!

Or just sign up for a free gmail account and use that...

Or just sign up for a free gmail account and use that...

How do you get to the mail in your gmail account? Yep... the internet. At how much a minute? And those minutes start when page starts trying to load, then as you read and reply to each messagre the clock is ticking! It might seem fast at home but try it on a computer with internet so slow it could make your eyes bleed! (Well, not quite that bad but it seems like it.)

So I'm sorry Northern Bear but a free gmail account won't help save you any money.

a free gmail account won't help save you any money.

I was thinking ease of use, not saving money. If you are watching your pennies then your suggestion is a good one.

My last cruise on Princess the wifi in my cabin was almost as quick as at home. Is RCI really that slow?

I was thinking ease of use, not saving money. If you are watching your pennies then your suggestion is a good one.

My last cruise on Princess the wifi in my cabin was almost as quick as at home. Is RCI really that slow?

Yes, it's slow and worse at different times of day depending on how many other people are attempting to log on at the same time.

Oh... I understand now! Sorry.

Yes, their computers are very slow. It must be the way the bandwidth is configured because wifi is not that bad. But, as I said, I avoid trying to use the internet unless I absolutely have to. I have even emailed a TA and/or a relative on land to look something up online rather than have to deal with it on the ship. Email is usable. We're self-employed and our customers don't know the difference when we're cruising. I check messages once or twice a day and apologize for the delay in responding. If something needs immediate attention I forward it to someone back on land and head back to the solarium and my book!

Archived