Atlantis passenger busted for dealing drugs from his cabin

squidward

with 5000+ passengers on board the alpha calls are a routine event every week not just on Atlantis charters. We did not have any deaths this year thankfully.

Hopefully Atlantis will put this guy on the no sail list.

It was an awesome week regardless!

Oh, come on. Even the crew and Atlantis were making fun of how many Alpha codes were being called. Don't you recall Malcomb's "t-dance, t-dance, t-dance" announcement that drew laughs? I'm sure with that many passengers, alpha codes are bound to happen - but not for the reasons we were hearing them.

And honestly I'm not trashing the ship, the crew or Atlantis. I loved the trip and have already booked for next year (which will be my 11th trip with Atlantis). I'm just saying the drugs were out of control, as evidenced by the arrest and the number of passengers who were thrown off the ship (which hasnt been in the AP, unless I've missed it).

with 5000+ passengers on board the alpha calls are a routine event every week not just on Atlantis charters. We did not have any deaths this year thankfully.

Hopefully Atlantis will put this guy on the no sail list.

It was an awesome week regardless!

We didn't have any the week we were on Oasis in September. I also think it's sad that a good Atlantis cruise is one without a death. Just saying...

We didn't have any the week we were on Oasis in September. I also think it's sad that a good Atlantis cruise is one without a death. Just saying...

Nope. Don't recall any "alpha alpha alpha's" on my OASIS sailing either. I'm sailing on ALLURE this Sunday and I'll be sure to keep my ears open.

Ernie

This type of thing is going to continue until such time as 'WE' meaning The Gay Community stand up and say we are no longer going to patronize Atlantis. Iv'e been on 5 gay cruises 3 RSVP(Prior to Atlantis owning them) and 2 Atlantis crusises in the past. I have also been on 6 regular crusies and trust me the Alpha, Alpha, Alpha thing does happen on rare occasions usually because something unexpected has occured. On an Atlantis cruise an overdose is not something accidental it is pretty much expected. Sad from reading the number of responses below who actually imply that they are 'Thankful' nobody died this time. Do we actually think it is normal for 5,000 men to go on a vacation expecting that it would not be a suprise that someone just dies from an OD? I am not an 'Old Prude' not by any stretch of the imagination but honestly the only way it will change is when we stop buying into the "This is how we Play' BS that Atlantis and Rich put forth as the image of our community. Maybe things would be different if there was a Bilboard on Sunset Blvd in the heart of WeHo with the face of one of the past cruisers who have unfortunately lost their life while sailing with Atlantis. Run that type of Billboard with the tag line "Hi I'm..... and I lost my life with Atlantis. This is how we Play" Or " I was infected with HIV because when was high on an Atlantis Vacation- This is how we Play". I have opted to take other Gay vacations or regular cruises until the times change and Atlantis starts to act responsibly or goes out of business . I expect the latter will occur eventually if they keep killing off their client base.

Wow! I'm not sure how you can blame Atlantis for the actions of idiots. You can't cure stupid. Just sayin...

And it was my impression that the real reason the Alpha calls were done ship wide was to set an example that drug use would not be tolerated. After the disembarks in Nassau, Captain Johnny wanted to enforce the message. Later in the week, while they had emergencies, the Alpha calls were not all done publicly. They have Alpha calls on every cruise, it just depends on the nature of the incident, and the Captain, as to how they are conveyed.

We love Atlantis, however, when we heard about the Allure we decided not to book because it was taking the place of the January cruise. The January cruise has become a circuit party, we did it in Jan 2008 and decided it wasn't our thing. We now go on the March cruise, which we've always loved and the Med cruises because they are much different.

It's too bad that a few people can spoil the reputation of an entire group, however, this is what makes headlines "Gay Cruise Drug Seller gets busted". You hear about people jumping off ships or starting fights because they are drunk but no one blames the entire heterosexual community.

I am not an 'Old Prude' not by any stretch of the imagination but honestly the only way it will change is when we stop buying into the "This is how we Play' BS that Atlantis and Rich put forth as the image of our community.

The image of "our community"? Which community would that be - the gay community? He and Atlantis does not represent the gay community (who actually does?); they represent Atlantis Events, that's it.

We love Atlantis, however, when we heard about the Allure we decided not to book because it was taking the place of the January cruise. The January cruise has become a circuit party, we did it in Jan 2008 and decided it wasn't our thing. We now go on the March cruise, which we've always loved and the Med cruises because they are much different.

It's too bad that a few people can spoil the reputation of an entire group, however, this is what makes headlines "Gay Cruise Drug Seller gets busted". You hear about people jumping off ships or starting fights because they are drunk but no one blames the entire heterosexual community.

To be fair, buddy, I don't think the press is playing up the gay angle so much as the drug angle, which seems perfectly valid. Still, while we all understand that Atlantis is not the gay community, a lot of people do not and so the next time a sterotype of the gay community (mindless, shirtless, drugged out party boys) is floated, Atlantis should understand they are part of the reason for this.

...Maybe things would be different if there was a Bilboard on Sunset Blvd in the heart of WeHo with the face of one of the past cruisers who have unfortunately lost their life while sailing with Atlantis. Run that type of Billboard with the tag line "Hi I'm..... and I lost my life with Atlantis. This is how we Play" Or " I was infected with HIV because when was high on an Atlantis Vacation- This is how we Play"...

There are people in the US that would like to put up similar billboards, but they would say "Hi I'm..... and I lost my life because I'm gay," or " I was infected with HIV because I'm gay."

Atlantis is not responsible for these people's drug use. Atlantis does not distribute drugs. The idiots are responsible for themselves. They do drugs all year long, in clubs and bars all over the country. I'm sure there are a number of people on board who bought from this dealer back in LA.

I do not condone any illegal drug use, never have. Maybe I am a prude. The US has a drug problem, it isn't just those on the Atlantis cruise.

I only mention the no death because the last January cruise and an La - Mexico cruise in the past couple years did have deaths on board for what ever reason (Drug related or otherwise) With the Allure having about double the number of passengers and no fatalities was notable with all the drug talk going on. Drug use is not isolated to the gay community whatever that is. This ship had a diverse group of people and its a damn shame that a small number of them have tainted to whole experience.

I would imaging that all the large land based party events such as gay days, white party etc have just as many drug related incidents, it is not isolated to Atlantis cruises.

With your average cruise passenger being 50 or older there are definitely alpha calls going on maybe they just are not as obvious, they have morgues on board cruise ships for a reason.

I am not a party animal, don't even drink for that matter. But did enjoy my last 2 Atlantis cruises, it is hard to describe the atmosphere, but being able to let your guard down and be who you are in an accepting environment for a week is a great feeling - Kinda of "You are not alone"

And I do believe the press it playing the gay card on this one.

In what way? It seems every cruise related mishap is reported in the press these days. The fact that this ship had people put off in two ports for drugs and somebody arrested for dealing is newsworthy. I don't see the press harping on the gay angle. The fact that they mention it was a full charter is a simple fact.

To be fair, buddy, I don't think the press is playing up the gay angle so much as the drug angle, which seems perfectly valid. Still, while we all understand that Atlantis is not the gay community, a lot of people do not and so the next time a sterotype of the gay community (mindless, shirtless, drugged out party boys) is floated, Atlantis should understand they are part of the reason for this.

I completely agree with you, that was the point I was trying to make about the news articles. Before I sailed with Atlantis I had the same reservations but it was quickly dispelled after our first cruise.

Unfortunately for Atlantis this is only one issue from the Allure cruise. On the Atlantis Alumni board there are scores of guys from the cruise that are really ripping the whole week apart from the food to the RCC service to the venues for the parties. This must be especially troubling for Atlantis since they are chartering the Allure again next year.

I disagree. The media has not played any angle of it. Most recent major arrests on cruise ships for drugs have been covered. This guy just wasn't carrying around stuff for personal use and therefore got the media coverage. The fact that it occurred on an Atlantis charter or otherwise didn't factor into the media's coverage of it.

Overall, I agree with other posters who state Atlantis is responsible for it's own image. The image they portray to others will dictate if people continue to sail on them or not. The first cruise of the year usually turns out to be a circuit party. The European ones, while drugs are present, are nothing like Caribbean cruises. Even the March itineraries don't usually attract that large of a drug crowd in comparison. It's really sad and I do hope that Atlantis does do a no-cruise list for people caught. It might deter others!

I disagree. The media has not played any angle of it. Most recent major arrests on cruise ships for drugs have been covered. This guy just wasn't carrying around stuff for personal use and therefore got the media coverage. The fact that it occurred on an Atlantis charter or otherwise didn't factor into the media's coverage of it.

Overall, I agree with other posters who state Atlantis is responsible for it's own image. The image they portray to others will dictate if people continue to sail on them or not. The first cruise of the year usually turns out to be a circuit party. The European ones, while drugs are present, are nothing like Caribbean cruises. Even the March itineraries don't usually attract that large of a drug crowd in comparison. It's really sad and I do hope that Atlantis does do a no-cruise list for people caught. It might deter others!

Thats a real good idea "no-cruise list" I wonder if cruise line companies do that sort of thing also

Thats a real good idea "no-cruise list" I wonder if cruise line companies do that sort of thing also

They do. There was a news story a few years ago about RCL saying they'd not sell to a couple anymore. Seemed like the couple was on a cruise they got for free by complaining so loudly about their previous one and they were trying to complain their way into another freebie. I thik RCL had enough.

Archived