Venice ,Italy

Hawaiidan

I will be arriving in Venice by train ( been there before but not by train) about 7pm in the evening and the ship is spending the night to depart the next day at 5pm.

They begin boarding at 12 noon the day I arrive.

How late can I board that evening like after 7 pm ?:o

Can I take a Taxi direct from the train station to the ship ?:rolleyes:

Ideas experiences and suggestions welcome

And no, I am not taking the train from Hawaii.

We flew in on embarkation day (day before sailing) and were told that we could board anytime up to an hour before sailing.

You can just walk across one bridge (easy steps) and then take the new People Mover from the far corner of Piazzale Roma to the mid-stop Stazione Marittima for 1 Euro pp.

The People Mover route is not shown on this diagram, but it goes from P'le Roma to Tronchetto Island, nor is the new bridge from the RR station.

2844714670099632937S425x425Q85.jpg

In this next pic, building B is a baggage drop-off point for some piers, and C is a check-in point. For our cruise we had to walk our bags all the way down to a pier just beyond the bottom center of the picture. Again, the new bridge from the RR station to P'le Roma does not show.

2689308270099632937S425x425Q85.jpg

I'm almost positive land taxis can't get to the RR station, but you could take one from P'le Roma right to your ship for about 10 Euro, I believe.

Anything else I could possibly help with?

I'm almost positive land taxis can't get to the RR station, but you could take one from P'le Roma right to your ship for about 10 Euro, I believe.

Anything else I could possibly help with?

Absolutely correct. Land taxis cannot get to the train station. Keep in mind that its the equivilant of a few blocks to go from the train station, along the canal, across the new pedestrian bridge, and finally to the People Mover. You need to be able to handle your luggage, and the pedestrian bridge has steps (you can pull rolling luggage up those steps). There really is no reasonable alternative from that walk between the train station to the Pizzale Roma. But once in the P. Roma you could also take a land taxi to the port for about 10 Euros. If you cannot possibly handle your luggage for the walk, the best Plan B is to get off the train at the Mestre Station (this is the one right before you get to Venice). From Mestre you can take a land taxi directly to the port...but we understand its at least 30 Euros.

Hank

We did this a couple of years ago. You can board anytime prior to sailing (I belive the cut off was 1 and 1/2 hours then ), however, we were told that we would have to speak to security if we were after a certain time (I think it was 10 pm or midnight, not sure). No big deal, you just need to have your boarding pass (that we don't normally need) and your passport. People will come to take care of you.

You will have no problem boarding later as long as you have your docs. We were coming earlier but a lot of our people on the roll call were not and we did check it out just in case there were issues with our flights or we decided we wanted to explore Venice longer before boarding

Have a great cruise :)

CLICK HERE to see where your ship will dock, and THIS DIAGRAM will show you where the piers are.

If you're on the Nieuw A cruise boarding Sep 9 it's a very unusual situation, which we also had. You'll board at pier 110 (terminal 108) and then about 4:00a on Sep 10 the ship will move to Riva Sette Martiri. This is about 1 kilometer SE of San Marco Plaza, which makes for an easy walk along the waterfront to/from the San Marco area on sailing day, and when you get back on Sep 21 it will be to pier 117. The only bad news is that you don't to see the great sailaway view along the city past San Marco.

We flew in on embarkation day (day before sailing) and were told that we could board anytime up to an hour before sailing.

You can just walk across one bridge (easy steps) and then take the new People Mover from the far corner of Piazzale Roma to the mid-stop Stazione Marittima for 1 Euro pp.

The People Mover route is not shown on this diagram, but it goes from P'le Roma to Tronchetto Island, nor is the new bridge from the RR station.

........g[/img]

What a superb, detailed and helpful response. Thank you for the time it took to put all these maps and links together. Great work, John. Even with its slow response time lately, you make CC a go to site for excellent travel info.

What a superb, detailed and helpful response.
Thanks! I'm just repeating what it took me a long time to learn last summer before our N.A. cruise, and saved for future questions that I knew would be coming. :)

Wow.... thanks for the detailed info. I think all in all Getting off at Mestri sounds like the easiest, and smoothest transition, I can handle strps with my rolly ( 4 wheel) but suspect my wife will not be as confident.. As we will have been traveling 12 hours by then paying 20 euros more seems a bargin foer a smooth transition... and saves a lot of time and energy.

I am not crazy about Italina train stations as in the past found them to be home to the gypsy hordes of pick-pocket kids.

In Mestri I will bet the hordes at the end of the line... by an end run:o

John, et al, Thank you sir for your excellent information and more than excellent maps and the like. am in your dept

I am on the October 15 departure for the 29 days to Ft.Lauderdale so pier 110 is going to be my only destinaion

I am not crazy about Italina train stations as in the past found them to be home to the gypsy hordes of pick-pocket kids. ......

This is a wise precaution but they have upped their game. They now buy tickets on the short-hop local trains and work up and down the cars with their typical crowd and distract M.O while you are sitting in the train cars.

On one train I noticed all the Italians were getting off as soon as they got on, muttering "zingari" and I foolishly looked at the mainly empty train car celebrating how nice and quiet it was going to be.

Then came the horde of kids crowding around me when the train was underway. I immediately picked up my things and complained to the conductor who told me there was nothing he could do since they bought their tickets and had a right to be on the train.

They did use mainly the short-haul ones which most tourists going from main city to main city do not frequent, because they could keep getting on and off close to where their camps were. Which means they expected at least to get the price of their train pass returned in pilfered goods.

Thanks for the reminder to be alert and also watch out for the "helpful" men who look like they are in an official uniform who grab your bags to boost them on the train even if you don't want them to and then never leave your side until a tip of their demand is offered. Good thing no means no in both English and Italian. Vada via (go away) is another handy phrase.

Archived