Legend-Panama Canal B2B

Can not believe we will have the opportunity to do a B2B on the Legend through the Panama Canal in spring of 2014! What we miss seeing going westward we will be able to see coming back eastward. RCCL is also doing this in fall of 2013. Hope the majority of the Canal is finished by 2014 but nevertheless it will be exciting to see the changes in the Canal and the refurbishment of the Legend. Anyone else looking at these cruises???

Can not believe we will have the opportunity to do a B2B on the Legend through the Panama Canal in spring of 2014! What we miss seeing going westward we will be able to see coming back eastward. RCCL is also doing this in fall of 2013. Hope the majority of the Canal is finished by 2014 but nevertheless it will be exciting to see the changes in the Canal and the refurbishment of the Legend. Anyone else looking at these cruises???

Thanks for posting this info I'll probably take a serious look at doing it. I've done four partial transits and the canal is my favorite itinerary. The new lanes of the canal are slated to open in 2014 or 2015.

I am not sure what changes, if any, will be made to the existing canal other than perhaps some water conservation measures. The new set of two-lane locks will be about a half mile from the existing locks, from what I have heard.

Thanks for posting this info I'll probably take a serious look at doing it. I've done four partial transits and the canal is my favorite itinerary. The new lanes of the canal are slated to open in 2014 or 2015.

I am not sure what changes, if any, will be made to the existing canal other than perhaps some water conservation measures. The new set of two-lane locks will be about a half mile from the existing locks, from what I have heard.

You're welcome. Thanks so much for the info. The Panama Canal cruise we took years ago remains one of my all time favorites. Looking forward to doing it again. If you book, I started a thread for the April 1 leg, fyi.

Happy cruising,

Marcia

Hey, how are you doing? We are doing fine; we were thinking of doing the Legend, but not sure yet! We will be doing the crossing on BR in Sept (we are taking my ship home) and then B2B from SJ in Dec! Come and join us: we would love to see you again!!

Franca

How exciting - We've been wanting to do a Panama Canal - but work, money, etc we've had to put it off. I think 2014 would be quite doable. is that a word?

LOL, it is in my book. Worth the deposit now in my mind to have the cabin I want and give us an even bigger incentive to save for this cruise. That's my story and I'm sticking to it, lol...

LOL, it is in my book. Worth the deposit now in my mind to have the cabin I want and give us an even bigger incentive to save for this cruise. That's my story and I'm sticking to it, lol...

I was thnking about doing that, I think I have one more On Board Booking bonus, but when I went to do pretend bookings it didn't bring up the deck plans.

Actually the bulk of the changes to present Canal are fairly low impact in the visual department. It involves deepening channels, and the Gatun Lake will be held at a higher level to allow for increased draft and rounding out some turns. Gaillard Cut continues to undergo widening, but that has been the case almost since the Canal was opened. Original width was 300' and now it is more than 750'. Probably the item of the biggest visual impact is the Pacific Access Channel which will connect Gaillard Cut with the new Pacific Locks located just to the west of the present Miraflores Locks. The new single flight of locks will raise the ship up to Gatun Lake level in 3 steps unlike the split locks of Miraflores and Don Pedro;) Miguel Locks in the present system.

The new locks will be close to the present locks as you mentioned, but with the topography will probably prevent you from getting too much more than a glance. I too am looking longingly at the Vision's cruises this fall and spring and if that doesn't work well there will be the Legend! One of my favorite itineraries as well.

Hey, how are you doing? We are doing fine; we were thinking of doing the Legend, but not sure yet! We will be doing the crossing on BR in Sept (we are taking my ship home) and then B2B from SJ in Dec! Come and join us: we would love to see you again!!

Franca

Hi Franca & Bill,

I haven't cruised in a couple years but am booked on the Oasis September 1 and the Navigator from New Orleans on November 24. Will see how those go before booking any more. I will be traveling solo now as I lost Lola on Valentines Day.

Hi Franca & Bill,

I haven't cruised in a couple years but am booked on the Oasis September 1 and the Navigator from New Orleans on November 24. Will see how those go before booking any more. I will be traveling solo now as I lost Lola on Valentines Day.

Oh Pete, so sorry to hear that!! I always think about the great time we had on BR!!

We love the Oasis (cruised 7 times) and we love the NAV, also!!!

Actually, I love all the ships...Please, keep in touch: maybe some day we will cruise together again; just think at the BR from SJ (Dec 1 and 8 and maybe the 15) hope to see you soon,

Franca

Actually the bulk of the changes to present Canal are fairly low impact in the visual department... Probably the item of the biggest visual impact is the Pacific Access Channel which will connect Gaillard Cut with the new Pacific Locks located just to the west of the present Miraflores Locks.

Here is a web cam image I got from today as the Celebrity Millennium transited. She is show exiting the Pedro Miguel Locks and the Pacific Access Channel dig can be seen off to her starboard side.

ML12.jpg

...with the new Pacific Locks located just to the west of the present Miraflores Locks. The new single flight of locks will raise the ship up to Gatun Lake level in 3 steps unlike the split locks of Miraflores and Pedro Miguel Locks in the present system.

The new locks will be close to the present locks as you mentioned, but with the topography will probably prevent you from getting too much more than a glance.

Panama Canal Expansion Project Pacific Locks as of May 17, 2012

PAC1.jpg

PAC2.jpg

PAC3.jpg

PAC4.jpg

PAC5.jpg

PAC6.jpg

I plan on booking the March 17th sailing! I've never done the PC before and have always wanted to. I don't have any more

NC certs. and am trying to decide between booking now to hold onto the lowest price or waiting to book onboard the Enchantment at the end of August. How do these cruises tend to sell? I won't be doing any prime cabins or anything.

Will you be starting a roll call for the 17th sailing as well?

The Canal sailings I have been on seem to get a good play, I don't think you will have a problem if you are not real picky about your cabin. The only problem is RCI has been absent for the most part in the Canal market, so there maybe some added interest.

The 17th sailing sounds really great - that is my Birthday and looks like in the middle of the cruise would be our 40th Wedding Anniversary, I will have to give it some serious thoughts of going. I have always wanted to do a Canal cruise, this may have to be it. Oh decisions decisions.

I plan on booking the March 17th sailing! I've never done the PC before and have always wanted to. I don't have any more

NC certs. and am trying to decide between booking now to hold onto the lowest price or waiting to book onboard the Enchantment at the end of August. How do these cruises tend to sell? I won't be doing any prime cabins or anything.

Will you be starting a roll call for the 17th sailing as well?

For what it's worth, we usually book as early as possible but on itineraries that have limited sailings (2 for spring of 2014) we book asap. Not only do we book early to get the specific cabin we want but to also lock in the lowest price. The prices on PC cruises are expensive for all cabin types. The prices on our last PC cruise continued to go up and of course sell out like these 2 will sell out. If they get lots of bookings in the next week or 2, I suspect the price will start to climb, just like TA's, but that's just my opinion.....

Going west to east means we will hit those ports that are usually in the dark going east to west in the daylight, I hope. Anyone know if that is true? Not a fan of tendering in the dark to see a deserted somewhat dangerous city:rolleyes: like on our last trip.

• 2 months later...

Archived