Cruise director on Regatta?

crowpro

Unless something has recently changed, Dottie told us she will be the CD on Marina on the Tahiti/South Pacific/New Zealand/Australia cruises starting on 1/27/13. Not sure about before that or who will be on Regatta.:)

Once you get your cruise personalizer booklet 4-6 weeks prior to the cruise it will have the information

But that can change also before the cruise, one cruise we were to have one CD but when we got on the ship we had someone else

Unless someone has insider knowledge sometimes you just have to wait & see ;)

Lyn

Just had it confirmed by the man himself, the inimitable Mr. Jon joins the Regatta in early December of this year, so you are IN!

Jim, sorry about barging in on this thread, but we've been worried about you. Sent you an email -- you might not have gotten it because of the storm. Let us know how you and Stan are doing...

New to Oceania....

Please share why Mr. Leslie Jon is soo fantastic

We will be onboard the Regatta January 5th

Obviously, everyone has their own opinion, but in my opinion Leslie is wonderful because he works so hard at his job, while at the same time he obviously loves every minute of it.

You see him from very early in the morning until late at night (sometimes even performing at the evening shows), and he is constantly moving around talking to both passengers and crew, making sure everything is humming at the right pitch.

He is a people person, and when you talk to him you feel you have his undivided attention, whether it's planning, organizing, taking care of a problem, or just visiting. He is also a wicked trivia leader. He has a good sense of humor, but he's always using it in a serious way to accomplish his job.

It's a pleasure to see people in any field who are consummate experts at their job. Leslie is one of those folks.

Enjoy your cruise.:)

Kay

New to Oceania....

Please share why Mr. Leslie Jon is soo fantastic

We will be onboard the Regatta January 5th

Leslie Jon has been the CD on each of our previous cruises. He remembers us from cruise to cruise and it's always wonderful to see him. He loves people, has an incredible amount patience, great sense of humor...an all around great person.

Last year we cruised with him over Christmas. He conducted the Christmas Eve service which was very special and took the time to make a copy of the music/carols from the service for us which we will play this year in our home....before heading off to Miami to join him 5 Jan on Regatta!

VERY happy and pleased that he will be the CD for our voyage around South America....am sure the other CDs are terrific too but I can't imagine a cruise without him.

I also thought the cruise just wouldn't be the same without Leslie. He was CD on our first two O cruises. But then we had Willie Ames on our last cruise, and he was great too. Both men are outstanding at what they do.

I also thought the cruise just wouldn't be the same without Leslie. He was CD on our first two O cruises. But then we had Willie Ames on our last cruise, and he was great too. Both men are outstanding at what they do.

Each of us has our favorite CD, but Leslie Jon seems to be Oceania's Top Gun.

He brought out, or introduced, or whatever you want to call it all four of their present ships as well as the dear, departed Insignia.

b_163021.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

We just came from a cruise with Mr. Jon as the CD. He definitely impressive dramatic and comedic skills. We thoroughly enjoyed his rapping and singing in the cruises' last show. He is also very well-organized and a great personality. However, as a "cruise director", we are less that impressed. The daily activities planned for the ship paled in comparison to any other ship we have been on--Holland, Regent, etc. Shuffleboard, bingo, golf, bridge---old and passee. we would have loved more diverse enrichment lectures, more enrichment courses (photography), tours of the galley, culinary courses, language and even dance classes. Even the entertainment needs a little sprucing up--how about folklore type troupes? On Regent, which was also a port intensive cruise, they held block parties to know your neighbors and had the singers perform on outside the venues to entice a warm familyfeeling. We were disappointed and part of the reason we may not book Oceania again.

We just came from a cruise with Mr. Jon as the CD. He definitely impressive dramatic and comedic skills. We thoroughly enjoyed his rapping and singing in the cruises' last show. He is also very well-organized and a great personality. However, as a "cruise director", we are less that impressed. The daily activities planned for the ship paled in comparison to any other ship we have been on--Holland, Regent, etc. Shuffleboard, bingo, golf, bridge---old and passee. we would have loved more diverse enrichment lectures, more enrichment courses (photography), tours of the galley, culinary courses, language and even dance classes. Even the entertainment needs a little sprucing up--how about folklore type troupes? On Regent, which was also a port intensive cruise, they held block parties to know your neighbors and had the singers perform on outside the venues to entice a warm familyfeeling. We were disappointed and part of the reason we may not book Oceania again.

Having cruised multiple times on Oceania with threee different cruise directors, I can affirmatively say that most of your comments are the result of policies and instructions set by the cruise line, not any individual cruise director. Having also sailed twice on Regent, I can also say that not only were those activities no different on my Regent cruises, but I can't even remember who wass cruise director on either cruise. There were no block parties on either of our Regent cruises, for which I'm grateful.

There are some differences between Cruise Directors -- their Equator Crossing activities vary, as do their ability to handle Trivia. Some are better at the administrative and leadership tasks required of a good CD, while others have more entertainment skills.

Oceania, and to a slightly lesser extent Regent, cater to an older, more traveled clientele, generally those who have "been there and done that". They tend to be VERY happy to be rid of the silliness and sometimes humiliating activities of the mass market cruise lines, and are content with lower key activities on board, as well as the casul dress code and less formal dininjg on both Oceania and Regent.

Also, your cruise must not have been aboard Marina or Riviera, both of which have an Artist Loft with instruction in photography, fabric arts, painting and much more, and have the world's only hands-on culinary center with actual kitchen work stations for up to 24 students, sponsored by Bon Appetit.

Sorry but the block party was a great way to know my fellow cruisers. Maybe you haven't experienced them? It was 10 fun minutes of our time and fostered some long-lasting relationships. Opportunities on Oceania are few and far between--its a rather cold atmosphere compared to any other cruising. No sailaway gatherings...well no gatherings at all for that matter.

"rayjames7;36154514]Sorry but the block party was a great way to know my fellow cruisers. Maybe you haven't experienced them? It was 10 fun minutes of our time and fostered some long-lasting relationships. Opportunities on Oceania are few and far between--its a rather cold atmosphere compared to any other cruising. No sailaway gatherings...well no gatherings at all for that matter."

Perfect! Isn't that great? ;)

Just wanted to say that we are in our early 40's and I would call us older.

We are well traveled both by land and sea.

Oceania seems to speak to us for the very reasons you mentioned above

I have been cruising about 2 months a year since 1974 ( I was 9 years old)

I think what Don was trying to say was the most Oceania cruisers are in the 55 to 70 age range but of course there will be younger & older age ranges

I am sure someone in the know have the statistics for the ages & other demographics they are marketing to for the cruise line

Some younger people have booked Oceania only be be disappointed by the OLDER folks :)

We were in our mid 50's when we started with O & quite content with the ships & people we met young & old

Enjoy your cruise

Lyn

Hi all,

We also were on a recent Oceania cruise and had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Jon...a really dashing, talented figure. However, we are in total agreement with rayjames7. They need to have more interesting activities on board--shuffleboard, bridge are vestiges of days past. More culinary activities, dance, even kitchen galley tours...anything would have been better!

We even tried the library...the travel section was only one section wide (maybe 5% of library) and lots of the books were old. Holland America, by contrast, had an up-to-date library with a huge travel section and thats with lots of activities to boot. Disappointed in Oceania.

Another aspect not mentioned is the lack of a proper welcome aboard..we had champagne or juice cocktails served by a legion of staff on every ship..be it the Star Clipper, Regent, Celebrity. Here we were ushered into the lounge and checked in...no formal reception. It doesn't take much to make a passenger feel special...we certainly didn't.

Archived