NCL bumps passengers off February 2014 Med. sailings.

marlia

Our 21 day east and west Mediterranean cruise on NCL Jade was just cancelled ! We were told NCL has chartered the entire ship out and all passengers have been cancelled. We were given three dates that we could transfer too for the same price ! Not even the exact same cruise and a month from the original date ! All Feb. Med. cruises disappeared off their website...sounds fishy to me ! Anyone else affected ??? Oh, and the closest date with the same itinerary they won't let us have !!!!:mad:

Sorry, a passenger or passengers were not bumped. The entire cruise was cancelled due to a charter.

I feel bad, but, it happens.

I don't want to get into a semantics argument but of course they were. Its true that it wasn't an individual passenger bumped but it was all of them.

The only people sorrier than you & the other folks booked on these cruises will be sitting in the NCL corporate offices.

The pier isn't finished, anti-gay thugs and even athletes have been encouraged by the laws recently enacted, Snowden is sitting in Moscow, and $25-50 BILLION has disappeared from the whole Olympic project. The IOC had emergency meetings twice this summer & realize they are stuck. Too late to pull out & move the games.

Check this out from the Russian gold medalist & "mayor" of the Olympic village.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more-sports/russian-pole-vault-champ-condemns-homosexuality-article-1.1427596

Our 21 day east and west Mediterranean cruise on NCL Jade was just cancelled ! We were told NCL has chartered the entire ship out and all passengers have been cancelled. We were given three dates that we could transfer too for the same price ! Not even the exact same cruise and a month from the original date ! All Feb. Med. cruises disappeared off their website...sounds fishy to me ! Anyone else affected ??? Oh, and the closest date with the same itinerary they won't let us have !!!!:mad:

Are any of the options you were given better than the one that was cancelled?? Three options doesn't sound like a lot...Are they offering any OBC to lessen the blow?

I'm truly sorry your cruise was pulled out from under you?

we also were going on this cruise been booked for over a year so not happy also given 3 options and $50 OBC would have been our 4th cruise with ncl was going to book our flights in the next week otherwise would have more out of pocket had booked hotel for a night before cruise so $50 per cabin doesn"t seem a lot

The only people sorrier than you & the other folks booked on these cruises will be sitting in the NCL corporate offices.

The pier isn't finished, anti-gay thugs and even athletes have been encouraged by the laws recently enacted, Snowden is sitting in Moscow, and $25-50 BILLION has disappeared from the whole Olympic project. The IOC had emergency meetings twice this summer & realize they are stuck. Too late to pull out & move the games.

Check this out from the Russian gold medalist & "mayor" of the Olympic village.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more-sports/russian-pole-vault-champ-condemns-homosexuality-article-1.1427596

You're exactly right. NCL will be regretting getting involved in this mess. The IOC is in crisis mode to figure out what to do.

We had made a booking on Celebrity's Black Sea cruise next year, which overnights in Sochi, but just cancelled due to the Snowden situation and the frightening anti-gay laws recently enacted. This country doesn't deserve our money right now.

Michael

I think that it's okey that the cruiselines charter their ships out but I think that they shall do it before they sell cruises on them! Once they start to sell cruises on a ship, it should no longer be possible to charter it out.

Thats one way to look at it, here is another...

If a booked guest can simply make a 1 sided decision to cancel the cruise contract without penalty before final payment, then it is only fair that the other party in the contract (the cruise line) can also cancel before final payment without penalty, right? I don't see why one party should be allowed to cancel if the other party doesn't have the same rights.

If a booked guest can simply make a 1 sided decision to cancel the cruise contract without penalty before final payment, then it is only fair that the other party in the contract (the cruise line) can also cancel before final payment without penalty, right? I don't see why one party should be allowed to cancel if the other party doesn't have the same rights.

Only if both parties are in the same position as they were before the cancellation. If all deposits are returned and all non-refundable expenses are covered for example.

This charter was done less than six months before the sailing date. Some people booked air fare to Europe in the last few weeks if they got a good price. They may have also arranged for time off that cannot be changed.

Those people should be compensated .

I'm sure the Russians dangled large $$$ in front of NCL. The IOC is breathing down their neck. Things are not done & money is disappearing left & right. They probably knew the cruise was not selling briskly, since that is not prime time for a Med cruise, & it looks likes nobody's going to Egypt in the near future. They also had the experience of chartering the Star to the Canadians for Vancouver, which worked out nicely for them.

They should endeavor to take care of the customers they displaced.

Only if both parties are in the same position as they were before the cancellation. If all deposits are returned and all non-refundable expenses are covered for example.

This charter was done less than six months before the sailing date. Some people booked air fare to Europe in the last few weeks if they got a good price. They may have also arranged for time off that cannot be changed.

I'm sure the Russians dangled large $$$ in front of NCL. The IOC is breathing down their neck. Things are not done & money is disappearing left & right. They probably knew the cruise was not selling briskly, since that is not prime time for a Med cruise, & it looks likes nobody's going to Egypt in the near future. They also had the experience of chartering the Star to the Canadians for Vancouver, which worked out nicely for them.

I think we agree except for the non-refundable expenses. You really can't hold one party responsible for money spent by the other party outside of their original contract....unless you believe that the passengers should have to reimburse NCL for any expenses they have incurred as well.

Your argument seems to favor one party only...I believe that BOTH parties should have the same rights and responsibilites in the matter. NCL didn't tell people to purchase non-refundable air...they were probably never even consulted about the purchase...I don't see any fairness in expecting them to foot the bill.

I think we agree except for the non-refundable expenses. You really can't hold one party responsible for money spent by the other party outside of their original contract....unless you believe that the passengers should have to reimburse NCL for any expenses they have incurred as well.

Your argument seems to favor one party only...I believe that BOTH parties should have the same rights and responsibilites in the matter. NCL didn't tell people to purchase non-refundable air...they were probably never even consulted about the purchase...I don't see any fairness in expecting them to foot the bill.

NCL is being well compensated, they think, by ROSCOM.:rolleyes: To fulfill their part of the contract, passengers must get to the port of embarkation, so they must spend $$ outside the original contract. Often airline tickets are non-refundable or have penalties for changes. In this circumstance, since the cruisline canceled to increase their revenue, they should compensate those that are out of pocket

Why would NCL ever cancel a cruise for a charter if it meant less revenue?

Hah, another line that just chartered a ship for Sochii is Costa. I sure wouldn't think NCL would want to be in that company:eek:

NCL is being well compensated, they think, by ROSCOM.:rolleyes: To fulfill their part of the contract, passengers must get to the port of embarkation, so they must spend $$ outside the original contract. Often airline tickets are non-refundable or have penalties for changes. In this circumstance, since the cruisline canceled to increase their revenue, they should compensate those that are out of pocket

Why would NCL ever cancel a cruise for a charter if it meant less revenue?

Hah, another line that just chartered a ship for Sochii is Costa. I sure wouldn't think NCL would want to be in that company:eek:

You do realize that the same can be said for both parties, right? NCL has to get the ship to the embarkation port too...and that requires contracts and it is not free. They also might be out money for airfares that they have arranged for arriving/departing crew members as those will have to be cancelled and rebooked to the new ports.

Again...nobody twisted the guests' arm...they don't HAVE to buy non-refundable air, they could CHOOSE to by refundable air and/or could get insurance to cover themselves. You can't go through life expcting others to suffer so you can save money by taking a risk.

I'm not advocating a side here...I just think that BOTH parties should have the same rights and benefits. Party A can cancel, then so can Party B. Party B can reach into Party A's pocket for "lost money", then Party A can reach into Party B's pocket too.

What is so bad about wanting fairness?

You do realize that the same can be said for both parties, right? NCL has to get the ship to the embarkation port too...and that requires contracts and it is not free. They also might be out money for airfares that they have arranged for arriving/departing crew members as those will have to be cancelled and rebooked to the new ports.

And what exactly do the cruise fares pay for if not to run the ship. As far as any additional expenses due to the charter, they should be well compensated by the charter fee. Again why charter the boat if it costs them money.

Again...nobody twisted the guests' arm...they don't HAVE to buy non-refundable air, they could CHOOSE to by refundable air and/or could get insurance to cover themselves. You can't go through life expcting others to suffer so you can save money by taking a risk.

Again, who would suffer if NCL would compensate the few people with non-refundable expenses. I couldn't even buy refundable tickets for my Med cruise, though I did have insurance.

Besides isn't the idea of any business to retain customers?

I'm not advocating a side here...I just think that BOTH parties should have the same rights and benefits. Party A can cancel, then so can Party B. Party B can reach into Party A's pocket for "lost money", then Party A can reach into Party B's pocket too.

What lost money? Do you think the suits at NCL are that bad at business. I sure hope not or the Russians are going to take them to the cleaners.

What is so bad about wanting fairness?

Life is not fair.:rolleyes:

I want to correct some mis-information about the Star being chartered by the Canadians. It did NOT work out nicely for NCL.

The charter was cancelled a few days before the Star was scheduled to be there, and NCL was left holding the bag. They scrambled to get the drydock scheduled in Victoria and made some miraculous maneuvers to get the supplies , material, and contractors lined up to do the conversions that had been planned for a later date.

I want to correct some mis-information about the Star being chartered by the Canadians. It did NOT work out nicely for NCL.

The charter was cancelled a few days before the Star was scheduled to be there, and NCL was left holding the bag. They scrambled to get the drydock scheduled in Victoria and made some miraculous maneuvers to get the supplies , material, and contractors lined up to do the conversions that had been planned for a later date.

Thanks for clarifying what I meant to say. I was on her the year before and during the fall after the retrofit & knew things didn't go as planned.

I don't know what the bottom line was for NCL, since I assume there were cancellation penalties in the contract, but if that charter went south dealing with Vancouver that had a pretty good handle on things, why would they want to get involved with the mess in Sochii?

As an aside, I really miss the Spinnaker with the great views on the Star. That was my place to hang out.

I can not cancel without penalty, the deposition is lost if I cancel a booked cruise. Why shall NCL be able to cancel without penalty when I can't do it?

I can not cancel without penalty, the deposition is lost if I cancel a booked cruise. Why shall NCL be able to cancel without penalty when I can't do it?

As you know by the previous threads about the subject, you could choose to book without that limitation through a different NCL office like many other Europeans already do.

Archived