FOS $369 Promenade???

sonvoltken6

OK so I am a cruise addict. Just got back from the Enchantment and have two booked over the next eight months. But I am home alone and bored so I decided to look at a cruise for DW and I next November or December. At first I thought I would look for a short cruise - 4 or 5 nights. I have really been wanting to go back to Labadee and/or Grand Cayman, as it's been a while since we have done Western.

As I was checking prices, I was not terribly happy with the prices for the short cruises. Also, I really didn't want to drive to Port Everglades, especially after realizing how easy Port Canaveral is. So I decided to check the Freedom. Much to my surprise, I found Promenade Staterooms for $369 on the Dec 7 sailing. I thought that might be a mistake, so I clicked through and was able to put a temporary hold on the sailing.

Am I the only one who is completely astounded by this price so far out? I can understand if this was 2013 and they were trying to fill up space.

Now for those of you who have been in a Promenade Room, what has been your experience? If we are trying to go to be around 11ish, will we find the room noisy? For two people, would we find the room spacious enough?

Thanks in advance. Feedback is appreciated as I have a 24 hour hold!

OK so I am a cruise addict. Just got back from the Enchantment and have two booked over the next eight months. But I am home alone and bored so I decided to look at a cruise for DW and I next November or December. At first I thought I would look for a short cruise - 4 or 5 nights. I have really been wanting to go back to Labadee and/or Grand Cayman, as it's been a while since we have done Western.

As I was checking prices, I was not terribly happy with the prices for the short cruises. Also, I really didn't want to drive to Port Everglades, especially after realizing how easy Port Canaveral is. So I decided to check the Freedom. Much to my surprise, I found Promenade Staterooms for $369 on the Dec 7 sailing. I thought that might be a mistake, so I clicked through and was able to put a temporary hold on the sailing.

Am I the only one who is completely astounded by this price so far out? I can understand if this was 2013 and they were trying to fill up space.

Now for those of you who have been in a Promenade Room, what has been your experience? If we are trying to go to be around 11ish, will we find the room noisy? For two people, would we find the room spacious enough?

That is amazing to see this price this low so far out! Thanks for sharing! We are holding out for the Explorer itinerary to the ABC islands on Dec 4th to drop. Never thought about it dropping to the low December prices this far out! We try to do an early December cruise out of Port Canaveral every year because we are local and you can hardly stay home for those prices!

Main difference with a PR is the bay window so you have to make sure curtains are closed when changing, etc.

The layout is similar to a balcony so when you walk in the room you are facing the side of the bed.

We have done many PR rooms as they are often very good value. Similar size to inside and ocean view just with the bed opposite way in the middle of the room. Deck 7, IMHO, is best, somewhere midship and if possible not a connecting room. If on deck 6 check what is below, avoid being over a bar. On deck 8 avoid being under whirlpools as noise can be an issue.

We are back in a PR on the Independence next May for the Ocean Voyage and then Norway. 21 nights and I know we will love it.

Pete & Wifey

I've stayed in PR rooms twice and love them. I'm a bit of a peope watcher and this room really lends itself to that! Just remember..... when the light is on in your room the people across the way can see straight in so shut the curtains!

This recent thread has an interesting look at FOS PR rooms....

We have been in a Promenade on several ships. Good advice about staying on Deck 7. The parades are fun to watch from your room. Most of the activities end on the Promenade around 11:30. So not a problem for us to go to sleep. Rest of the every day traffic is fun to watch from the bay window. That is a terrific price for 7 nights. We have done several Dec. cruises and yes prices are always discounted but that is fantastic so early out. We have sailed on the Freedom and we loved it.

You can see more PR feedback and location of staterooms in this thread... it also has pics of PR room. My parents LOVED it and will book it again. We spent a lot of time looking out their bay window:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1860809

That is great - I was able to get 6277 which appears to be above the perfume shop. Tried a couple other dates to see if we could snag the cow butt room but no luck.

I just booked a PR for Sept 14 cruise. Used my open booking for 100 obc plus TA gave a 50 obc. Yahoo! Just did the same cruise a few weeks ago. Great itinary and I loved FOS. Gonna get me a cabana in Labadee when they open for booking too, since I got such a great deal.

OK so I had to snag a cabin for October 26 as well because of the savings certificate. We don't have an open booking - dummy me didn't get one last weekend on the Enchantment. I probably won't transfer to travel agent in case something happens that requires us to cancel. So I will let DW decide which one (if any) to do.

Did you find this rate on the RCI website? Was it discounted because of resident of FL ? Also, did you put a hold on it via the website or did you call them? Sorry for all the questions, but maybe would want to do this! ;)

You can book on the Internet, call them or call your TA your choice. These prices are available to everyone, no resident discounts, however they were discounted yesterday when the price dropped by Appx $300. This could just be a weekend sale and prices could rise soon. If your interested I'd book now, you could always cancel later and get your deposit back.

Thanks for the info. I tried to get into it on the website, but it's not showing anything for FOS for Sept. 2014? Not sure what's wrong :confused: The site is acting funny!! Will try later, but thanks again.

I just went on no problem. Sept 14 and 28 have promenade cabins for $369.

Try clearing your browser or better yet just call RCI

With taxes, pre-paid gratuities, and trip insurance through RSI my grand total is a smidge under $600 per person. Can't beat that with a stick. These rooms were $700 p/p base rate yesterday, they won't be $369 for long.

Now I have 60 days to shop T/A's and find one who will give me OBC for flipping the res to them.

Book now, you have tons of time to cancel with no penalty.

Rate: 369

Insurance: 29

Gratuities: 84

Taxes: 114.40

Total: 596.40

With taxes, pre-paid gratuities, and trip insurance through RSI my grand total is a smidge under $600 per person. Can't beat that with a stick. These rooms were $700 p/p base rate yesterday, they won't be $369 for long.

Now I have 60 days to shop T/A's and find one who will give me OBC for flipping the res to them.

Book now, you have tons of time to cancel with no penalty.

Rate: 369

Insurance: 29

Gratuities: 84

Taxes: 114.40

Total: 596.40

If you own RCCL shares you would get $100 OBC.

If you own RCCL shares you would get $100 OBC.

You have to hold 100 shares to get the credit. I have to look more heavily into it, but I'm not big on holding individual stocks and / or trying to time the market, preferring mutual and index funds. For those that have held for a number of years though it certainly has been worth it.

One of the members of my group was holding a FCC; I wonder if they can apply it?

Archived