Great transportation solution!

Iamthesea

The entire time I was reading the following article, I was thinking..."It's too bad that there are no ships setting sail from the U.S. this season, to cross the pond."

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013...ded-in-us?lite

I was wrong! :) I didn't know that the Queen Mary 2 crosses.

Yes, she does. But not nearly often enough for us transatlantic fans.

• 2 weeks later...

There were probably several "medical security" issues that prevented him from sailing TA. He would have needed a custom life jacket. Transport to the medical center would be a problem if none of the stretchers supported his weight. And finally, the man's physical bulk may have made him unable to board a lifeboat. Any carrier is in a lose-lose situation here. Turn the passenger away and get bad press as cruel and uncaring. Accept him and run afoul with international safety regulations.

Didn't I read somewhere that he was the same weight as when he came?

David

According to various reports: he weighted slightly less than when he arrived. His weight was the result of hormone problems, and his medical problems began when he was an infant.

The AP reports the young man has arrived home safely: "PARIS (AP) - An obese Frenchman who sought medical care in the United States and was refused travel by planes, trains and even a cruise ship has returned home after an overnight ambulance ride that crossed half of France.

Roger Chenais, the uncle of Kevin Chenais, said Thursday his 22-year-old nephew and the young man's parents arrived around 9 a.m. in their home near the Swiss border, 740 kilometers (460 miles) from the port of Calais, where he arrived on a ferry..."

http://www.wtsp.com/news/article/345677/58/Man-deemed-Too-Fat-to-Fly-finally-heading-home