Coffee Card questions

bichonsx2

I've been reading posts about coffee cards. I feel really naieve not understanding the purpose as we've never purchased them before on any of our cruises. I believe I read that brewed coffee is not served in the MDR?? What the heck is it that you're drinking? Maybe I don't really want to know...lol. Thanks for any input.

We're on the 4/6/14 Royal cruise. :cool:

Nan_Sea is correct, it is from a syrup base, the syrup is from coffee beans but is definitely not freshly brewed from beans, but is freshly made from syrup, boy that sounds weird.

Some people love it some people don't. I always get a coffee card for the espresso drinks that I need daily for my own sanity and the safety of all those on board. And hubby loves the speciality teas that come complimentary with the tea.

I've been reading posts about coffee cards. I feel really naieve not understanding the purpose as we've never purchased them before on any of our cruises. I believe I read that brewed coffee is not served in the MDR?? What the heck is it that you're drinking? Maybe I don't really want to know...lol. Thanks for any input.

We're on the 4/6/14 Royal cruise. :cool:

The coffee in the buffet and MDR's is prepared from a liquid concentrate similar to Burger King. This coffee is free. It isn't bad tasting, but it isn't fresh brewed. Many like it. If you are going on the Royal they also have a coffee machine that prepares coffee from beans it is outside of the buffet and free. Hot tea, ice tea, lemonade and juice are also available in the Buffet at no charge. The coffee card is explained below. This is how you get lattes, etc. You can purchase by the drink or get the card. Unused punches can be used on your next cruise, but the complimentary option expires at the end of the current voyage.

Enjoy 15 espresso-based hot or cold specialty coffee drinks with complimentary brewed coffee and premium tea for the duration of your cruise.

Item #524$31.00

The coffee in the buffet and MDR's is prepared from a liquid concentrate similar to Burger King. This coffee is free. It isn't bad tasting, but it isn't fresh brewed. Many like it. If you are going on the Royal they also have a coffee machine that prepares coffee from beans it is outside of the buffet and free. Hot tea, ice tea, lemonade and juice are also available in the Buffet at no charge. The coffee card is explained below. This is how you get lattes, etc. You can purchase by the drink or get the card. Unused punches can be used on your next cruise, but the complimentary option expires at the end of the current voyage.

Enjoy 15 espresso-based hot or cold specialty coffee drinks with complimentary brewed coffee and premium tea for the duration of your cruise.

Item #524$31.00

An accurate description of the coffee options & I can confirm that at the Royal's Gelato (menu states "premium ice cream") it's 1 coffee card punch for a wide variety of ice cream delights or 2 punches for alcoholic ice cream drinks.

I'm told that on the Royal you can also use the coffee card to get your gelato fix. Either one or 2 punches.

I just read above regarding fresh ground coffee by the Buffet? How does that work? Is there a long wait for that, and then are there auto drip machines to brew your own stuff? Totally confused. Please elaborate. I will be on the Royal in a couple of months-- I don't have to have lattes, just regular brewed decafinated coffee.

I just read above regarding fresh ground coffee by the Buffet? How does that work? Is there a long wait for that, and then are there auto drip machines to brew your own stuff? Totally confused. Please elaborate. I will be on the Royal in a couple of months-- I don't have to have lattes, just regular brewed decafinated coffee.

Only on the Royal are there machines at the buffet showing coffee beans. Yes, it tastes a little better than the usual sludge (a/k/a concentrated syrup), but IMO, not much better. There is no line and you don't brew your own. It's just there.

If you are going on the Royal they also have a coffee machine that prepares coffee from beans it is outside of the buffet and free.

This may be a clue as to what happened last week on the Ruby.

I took my 2 yr old coffee card with about 5 unused punches down to the IC for a nice cup of brewed coffee. When I tried to give my card to the barrista(?) to be punched, he just waved me away.

It happened more than once on different days.

Maybe brewed coffee is (or will be) included in the future.

note: While the brewed coffee is better than the syrup based stuff, it still isn't as good as McD's or Starbucks.

We basically purchase the coffee cards because we enjoy a fresh brewed coffee that is strong. If I were to just use my card for the complementary brewed coffee at the IC I would still not be happy with it because it's still not strong enough. The kind people behind the counter told us that if we wanted a "strong" brewed coffee to ask for what is called a "black eye." You can order a large or a regular and it is basically regular brewed coffee (ground coffee) with an espresso added. It has become our regular cup of coffee when on the Princess and it is perfect for our morning eye opener.

We basically purchase the coffee cards because we enjoy a fresh brewed coffee that is strong. If I were to just use my card for the complementary brewed coffee at the IC I would still not be happy with it because it's still not strong enough. The kind people behind the counter told us that if we wanted a "strong" brewed coffee to ask for what is called a "black eye." You can order a large or a regular and it is basically regular brewed coffee (ground coffee) with an espresso added. It has become our regular cup of coffee when on the Princess and it is perfect for our morning eye opener.

Just order an Americano; double shot. Have never heard of black eye terminology.

What is the price (non-card holder) of a regular cup vs this black eye?

What is the price (non-card holder) of a regular cup vs this black eye?

Fresh brewed coffee is $1.25 regular, $1.75 large. Add 15% gratuity to whatever you purchase.

Double shot espresso, a/k/a Americano or black eye is $2.50 for large. One shot is regular size $l.75.

With coffee card, Americano double shot is only one punch.

Edited by Pia1913

Just order an Americano; double shot. Have never heard of black eye terminology.

Well, no, not exactly. An Americano is a double shot of espresso with hot water poured over it and a black eye is a double shot of espresso with brewed coffee poured over it. It's a bit stronger than the Americano. Since we enjoy heavy cream in out coffee, it works perfectly. Not sure if I would drink it black.

Well, no, not exactly. An Americano is a double shot of espresso with hot water poured over it and a black eye is a double shot of espresso with brewed coffee poured over it. It's a bit stronger than the Americano. Since we enjoy heavy cream in out coffee, it works perfectly. Not sure if I would drink it black.

Why would anyone want to mess with good espresso by pouring yucky Princess coffee over it? Since I use no milk/cream ever, hard for me to understand.