What is the difference between Sauna & Steam Room?

IMKTDQT810

I know there is a different thread right now on what to "wear" in these rooms. But I have never gone to either and didn't know what the difference was. Also, WHEN to you find yourself using them? Do you go to the pool and then stop by here before heading back to your room to change? And how long are you supposed to be in the rooms for? I know with a jacuzzi they post a time limit....is there one for these also and how do you know when your time is up?

I'll be on the Pride and pulled out my "ship layout" from the catalog and see both types of room listed.

Thanks!!

Sauna is normally a dry heat room whereas the Steam Room is moist heat. They are a great place to go after coming back from port or before dinner. Very relaxing.

You really shouldn't spend more than 15 minutes max in either at any one time. Some people will spend 5 - 10 minutes, then go for cool shower then return to the room. And if you can, bring some water to drink.

Sauna pushes out a dry heat while the steam room has bursts of steam. You can use either or both

I tend to do a sauna / pool sandwich and possibly mix in some time on a lounger as well.

How long to stay in depends on how hot it is. If you have not used one before I would say anywhere between 10 and 15 minutes.

Any benefits of one over the other? Why would someone choose the steam room over the sauna or the other way around?

Basically, the way it works is if you are in the mood for a dry heat, you chose the dry room. If you prefer steam, then you would go for the steam room.

Edited by ehfl

Thanks for the info.

Never ever doing either I guess I would not have a clue on which one i would prefer more. I did read something that someone posted "after the steam room your face will feel great" or something along those lines...not sure why....but ok. =-)

Thanks for the info.

Never ever doing either I guess I would not have a clue on which one i would prefer more. I did read something that someone posted "after the steam room your face will feel great" or something along those lines...not sure why....but ok. =-)

Skin pores are opened after using sauna/steam, and muscles are relaxed. Some hardy souls do 15 mins sauna, 2min cold shower, and 15 mins steam for a complete conditioning.

Make sure you never use these rooms after drinking alcohol, and always drink water before and after. The steam rooms can become very hot very quickly while I find the saunas generally heat up slower, especially if you are the first one in there. We never went to one show on the Dream and spent two hours every night in the spa area relaxing. It's nice after breakfast too or in the afternoon so you can look out the windows. You can get great views if you are in some of those rooms while arriving/leaving port, and there is never anyone there at those times because most people are on deck. We generally don't run off the ship when we arrive and have enjoyed the spa at this time. Jut try a few different times to see what fits you.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

• 1 year later...

Saunas and steam rooms are heat rooms that people use for relaxation but what is the difference between the two? Saunas provide dry heat in a wood-paneled room from a wood or electric stove.

Also there are sufficient differences which is better in a contest of sauna vs steam room. Steam rooms may be more comfortable for people with allergies or congestion in the chest or sinuses. Saunas are the better choice for people with conditions that can be aggravated by humidity, such as rheumatoid arthritis.

Hope this helps :)

I know there is a different thread right now on what to "wear" in these rooms. But I have never gone to either and didn't know what the difference was. Also, WHEN to you find yourself using them? Do you go to the pool and then stop by here before heading back to your room to change? And how long are you supposed to be in the rooms for? I know with a jacuzzi they post a time limit....is there one for these also and how do you know when your time is up?

I'll be on the Pride and pulled out my "ship layout" from the catalog and see both types of room listed.

Thanks!!

What do you wear? I cannot find the other thread. And I believe the saunas and steam rooms are free.

Yes, steam and sauna are free. I wear my bathing suit or a towel, or both. Some of the wooden seats get very hot. Clean towels can be picked up as soon as you enter the locker rooms.

Some ships also have hot tubs in the middle of the exercise rooms too. Some that had hot tubs there converted the space to a cycling/spinner room or some other form of exercise. Those hot tubs were rarely found by young kids, so they used to be a hidden secret for adults. Skylight was above and windows to the front that gave me an impression of floating ......

Any benefits of one over the other? Why would someone choose the steam room over the sauna or the other way around?

I'm sure if you Google these you'll find lots of useful info and all the warnings.

I prefer steam. But it just depends. Sometimes I go for sauna instead.

I found out on the Breeze last year, that the Sauna actually had an Air Conditioning Vent in the room. So the Heat would be cooled????????. Found out when I noticed a small vent putting out a fog. Held my hand to it and it was cold air blowing in. Next time I was in, someone had put toilet paper in the vent. Also hated the push buttons that shut off the heat. Got so I would push the button to start, go do my workout in the Gym, come back and push the button again to heat it up. Seemed like it worked best midday when people have been using it all morning. Then it would be hot enough to break a sweat.