Oasis vs NCL Getaway?

Trying to compare these two ships, and convince family we need to cruise again next summer and try a new line.

Anyone cruised both ships, and can tell me pros and cons?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hope you get a response- we are considering same with getaway being less $$ for next fall- right now about 700 less for 2 in a balcony ( ocean view balcony) i wanted to try allure or oasis but geez 700 can go towards next cruise....lol may be worth it but ........ oh well i am game if dh willing to go for it ;)

I have cruised Oasis and Breakaway (Getaways sister). Itinerary will be different on getaway so I will only give you my opinion how the ships compare. Both ships are gorgeous. Both have a lot of innovative features. Both have fantastic entertainment options. In my opinion, Oasis is much better at crowd control than Breakaway was. There was always a lot of crowding issues on Breakaway when there were special events and such.

Loved Central Park and the diving and ice shows on Oasis. Loved Slam Allen on Breakaway. Overall the experience on Oasis was a little more refined than Breakaway. If you can afford a suite on Getaway for the same price as a balcony on Oasis then it might be a wash in my mind.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I haven't been on Getaway, but based on average passenger load versus space the NCL ships would have higher passenger density.

Oasis would have 5500 passengers and 225,000 tons, NCL would have 4100 and is 146,000 tons. Oasis is about 50 feet wider which gives it a completely different feeling of space.

Since Breakaway may now be my best option out of NY, I may be forced to give NCL a try to Bermuda.

Here is a review from Blonde 34" from March 2014

"Disappointed Cruisers"

"We were excited to travel from home and see the new ship, we are former Royal cruisers I guess we should have stayed with Royal they truly are loyal to the people who cruise and service is the main priority. Don't get me wrong the ship is beautiful and top quality amenities but everything has a fee the restaurants that were complimentary didn't have good food or service, the main room the Manhattan had terrible tasting food and tough steak the desert was even very small an bad tasting.

Our room a balcony and the bathroom were very nice except for the TV only two channels no satellite TV. I had to ask every time I needed the mini bar replenished even though I filled out the order form. Just very disappointed I guess if you are used to being waited on without looking for your room attendant you shouldn't cruise on this ship."

I haven't been on either ship but we were just on the IOS docked next to the Getaway in St Martin and if you value your balcony space I would not book the Getaway. 90% of the balconies could only hold the chairs and the people sitting sideways, they were that narrow. If you dont care about that the Getaway looked pretty cool especially the waterfront.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Forums mobile app

I was on the Breakaway (sister ship) when she was new last year and I have been so far on 52 cruises (I am 50) and the Breakaway was my worst ship I been on in the past 15 years!! There were too many negatives on this ship, not only did I feel this way but my other half and my father in law felt the very same thing. We found ourselves in many "traffic jams" and did feel crowded, again, too many negatives to this ship that I don't even want to remember. RCI is the choice, if you want to try a different cruise line, try Celebrity or Princess, much much better than NCL.

I've been on the Oasis 4 times and the Allure two times and the Getaway once. And I've been on over 50 cruises. I like both ships so I don't think you can go wrong with either one. I think they are both different from each other which is a good thing. We usually don't each in the main dining rooms and more because they seem to big and noisey but what I really likes about the Getaway is they had two smaller dining rooms that we ate in that were very good. Also maybe because we have cruised so many times on the Oasis I really enjoyed the entertainment more on the Getaway. We did have a large balcony on the Getaway and had plenty of room on our balcony. You mention family I do feel the Oasis might be a better choice for a family depending on your ages because of activities. Just my opinion but I'd go back on either ship.

I'm giving Getaway a try this summer due to their promo + pricing deal they had going on in February. Not only was the pricing amazing for a Haven suite for 3, they threw in drink packages for all of us (daughter only got soda of course) and unlimited specialty dining for my wife and I. The price was only about 20% more than a regular balcony for 3 on Oasis during the same week, and almost 20% less than a Oasis JR suite for 3.

Don't get me wrong I'm not complaining about Oasis class prices (heck I have a JR suite for 3 booked next summer, and just got off one on the Allure last week), but for the price and perks I'm willing to deal with the issues I've read about.

I really had no plans to sail NCL again since I'm collecting Royal C&A points, but it was worth it in this case as I want to see if their extra suite perks are worth it plus how their most recent innovations compare.

I'd sail nothing but Oasis class boats if they had more of a variety of itineraries. That is their only downside, in my opinion.