Viking Deeply Offends and Insults Their Most Loyal Guests

CrusinSubMan

Today in Bergen, Viking managed to insult and offend a hundred or more of their guests on the Star by "uninviting" them to a special ceremony that they had accidentally invited them to. The callous and careless way in which Viking disrespected these people (including me) was humiliating and embarrassing.

Viking arranged a special dinner excursion for their "VIP" (not paying) guests before the Christening event tonight. This sequence of events is actually tremendously typical of the biggest problem Viking has: communication and leadership.

I am so offended by this that I never want to do a Viking Cruise again. Maybe I will feel different later, but right now I (and many many of us sitting on the ship now watching the privileged people) are so furious, humiliated and embarrassed.

What happened was that Viking, yesterday, delivered a wonderful letter to all the staterooms having the 50 day guests on board that they were invited to go to a special dinner at 5:00 PM. Many of those guests thus made such plans and showed up today at the Theatre at the appointed time. About 10 minutes into the waiting in the theatre,the Cruise Director went to microphone and announced to the room that the only guests invited to the dinner were those guests that were getting on in Bergen and getting off in Oslo. All these 50 days were then forced to stand up in front of the VIP guests and walk out of the room in humiliation. I saw tears and anger on so many faces.

What has happened is really typical of Viking's biggest problem: poor management and communication. Its systemic throughout upper management and I think it is the fault of the highest level of ownership of this company. I keep trying to say its just learning curve kinks or something, but it just keeps happening. Viking seems to be pretending that their leadership and management of the company is fine and does not need repair. But it does.

I am appalled at what Viking did. I am also surprised that the group did not say anything while be asking to leave. Requesting to speak to senior management at this time would have been appropriate. It would have been a great forum to express displeasure.

Viking Oceans is getting great press. Perhaps it is now time to contact the various travel magazines and travel advocates and let them know what is actually go on.

So the latest is a letter that has apparently arrived on some (but not all) beds saying oops we are sorry and please accept a $500 credit. And this is before the ceremony has even gotten going.

But its not throwing money at the problem that people want. They have been doing that over and over again. What people want is for them to acknowledge their problems and commit to fixing them instead of not talking openly about it and continuing to just do business the same way.

I am appalled at what Viking did. I am also surprised that the group did not say anything while be asking to leave. Requesting to speak to senior management at this time would have been appropriate. It would have been a great forum to express displeasure. ....

They were so embarrassed and humiliated. It was like being told you were a lower class citizen and not worthy of participating with these more important people. Or, like being a kid again and being told you were not cool enough to hang out with everyone else.

The Cruise Director himself seemed like he was reading a script because no one else, such as the Owner Tors, had the courage to confront the situation. Senior management was there and are probably furious. But they have no one to blame but themselves.

I just sent a email to Jeff T. who is all over twitter today covering this event.

I told him to visit Cruise critic and watch the real story unfold.

I also tweeted at least three of the press to cover what happened to passengers today.

If anyone has a twitter account or instagram, send out a message of this horrible event.

If this owner had any sense, he would meet with all of you , personally apologize and listen to all your suggestions for improvements.

Unbelievable that Viking handled things so ineptly. I just cannot imagine what is was like to have to stand up and walk out after being "uninvited".

And the attempt to redress the problem by offering $500 is really insulting.

In some respects this seems to personify the way that Viking perceives its guests...when we first heard of the rigid hierarchical structure imposed on the booking system for dining and excursions we were really appalled but it was simply a harbinger of things to come.

They say they are going after the Oceania, Azamara and Regent past passengers. If so they seem to have no idea what types of guests typically book on those cruises.

The way you were treated today you might as well have been in steerage.

Wow, I am just appalled at the way Viking is treating its best paying customers. Talk about a slap in the face!

No explanation given as to why they saw fit to invite you and then figured it was too much bother to have passengars in the mix?

How many people are we talking about? But regardless of the number, when you organize something like this, you do your best to accomodate those you have invited.

This leaves a very bad taste in my mouth. Maybe Viking never heard of word of mouth advertising? They'll get lots of new passengars after all the 50 day crazies go home and tell all their friends and family that Viking is the line that humilitates and embarrasses you!

If this owner had any sense, he would meet with all of you , personally apologize and listen to all your suggestions for improvements.

That is what good management would do. Viking does not have good management.

....If this owner had any sense, he would meet with all of you , personally apologize and listen to all your suggestions for improvements.

A group of about 20 guests around me right now agree with this opinion, but not me. Tors is pretty accessible on the ship (or at least he has been the last two days) and may get confronted in the Explorers Lounge about it tomorrow if he dares to show his face. But the issue is that the anger is pretty high. It might get out of hand and not really accomplish anything. I think the best course would be an open apology from him for his and his company's failings and a commitment to change things up.

But I doubt any of that will happen. Sadly though, I am also convinced that if things do not change, then the company will fail to achieve what they want to achieve: being a high-end, smaller-size ocean cruising company offering a smooth and luxurious cruising experience. They will instead, peak and then decline with lower occupancy rates and greater and greater discounts.

So it really does need to happen. Really today's event is just another example of how badly they manage excursions. Just a real deep and offensive example.

I think the root problem lies in that the Viking Ocean management structure is about having no one in charge and accountable to customers and a culture of suppression of open communication. That is what needs to be fixed. There should be a clear person in charge and responsible for all experiences and a clear chain below that person. Then, when, say a lousy manager fails to deal with a problem or failing, his or her boss finds out about it and fixes it. Right now, issues just into the black holes between various managers and get poorly acknowledged and usually not responded to. Endemic to this is that really is no one in charge. There are a few big wigs but they each have certain limited roles. And there is no one above them offering himself or herself up as the person to go to when everything else fails. And again, Tors and corporate management have no one to blame but themselves for creating such a culture and management system on board.

I now have Gene Sloan following me on Twitter after I sent them a tweet. LOL

He is the cruise log blogger for USA Today.

Also please send emails or tweets to him , Jeff Titelius, , Ann Tran.

The web sites " Avid Cruiser "and "On the Open Deck "guys were also on board had have written long articles about the Viking Star. They need to hear about the mismanagement of today and also the in other areas.

Your responses need to be beyond CC if you want Viking Ocean Cruises to really respond and improve their management.

A group of about 20 guests around me right now agree with this opinion, but not me. Tors is pretty accessible on the ship (or at least he has been the last two days) and may get confronted in the Explorers Lounge about it tomorrow if he dares to show his face. But the issue is that the anger is pretty high. It might get out of hand and not really accomplish anything. I think the best course would be an open apology from him for his and his company's failings and a commitment to change things up.

But I doubt any of that will happen. Sadly though, I am also convinced that if things do not change, then the company will fail to achieve what they want to achieve: being a high-end, smaller-size ocean cruising company offering a smooth and luxurious cruising experience. They will instead, peak and then decline with lower occupancy rates and greater and greater discounts.

So it really does need to happen. Really today's event is just another example of how badly they manage excursions. Just a real deep and offensive example.

I think the root problem lies in that the Viking Ocean management structure is about having no one in charge and accountable to customers and a culture of suppression of open communication. That is what needs to be fixed. There should be a clear person in charge and responsible for all experiences and a clear chain below that person. Then, when, say a lousy manager fails to deal with a problem or failing, his or her boss finds out about it and fixes it. Right now, issues just into the black holes between various managers and get poorly acknowledged and usually not responded to. Endemic to this is that really is no one in charge. There are a few big wigs but they each have certain limited roles. And there is no one above them offering himself or herself up as the person to go to when everything else fails. And again, Tors and corporate management have no one to blame but themselves for creating such a culture and management system on board.

In my real life I do mediation, crisis management, and involved in local politics.

Your analysis is spot on. The "culture of suppression" might also be cultural for Norwegians tend to say less, an economy of words is typical.

With anger still high, I would find a way to center upon and keep to the actual experiences that can be changed, fixed,improved. Make a list, keep to facts and find someone to present them either the owner, or the most upper management around.

Good night sleep and a hearty breakfast will give you all a new day to continue your vacation and leave this on the ship as you venture out for another day of exploration.

...I think the root problem lies in that the Viking Ocean management structure is about having no one in charge and accountable to customers...

THIS.

And, especially, THIS:

...and a culture of suppression of open communication. That is what needs to be fixed...

Jeff T has favourited my tweet regarding your humiliating experience and is getting Viking's take on it - keep posted!

*************** would like to hear about it on their forum http://***************/forum

my twitter is @pukekolive if you want to see the tweets

Thanks to all.

As I suspected, it appears some people got a letter on their bed and some people did not. Some people also got a $500 credit already posted and some people did not. We, for example, have neither a letter nor a credit. Another couple have a credit had no idea what it was for until they came up and mentioned it. Others had the sorry letter on their bed. So generally, they are not even handling the pathetic attempt to buy off our humiliation well either.

But this will get worked out over the next two days (for good or bad).

The ceremony was pretty fantastic seeming. Too bad they marred it so badly for some of us.

I'm sorry this happened and by all means they owe a public apology. I have been a little upset by all the petty complaints by some but I have to admit this one was by far not petty. Don't let it affect the rest of your trip.

I'm sorry this happened and by all means they owe a public apology. I have been a little upset by all the petty complaints by some but I have to admit this one was by far not petty. Don't let it affect the rest of your trip.

Most of us won't. We have had and are having a great trip. My blog shows that well. But this has arisen to a level that I am determined to make them suffer equally or make proper amends.

In the end, even this is "petty": it is just our humiliation about something we did not know we wanted to do until they offered it. Pride and self worth are a big part of the human's positive psyche but it does heal better than physical or economic injuries do. I got over not being picked for flag football in the 3rd grade by the time I was in high school. :D

Most of us won't. We have had and are having a great trip. My blog shows that well. But this has arisen to a level that I am determined to make them suffer equally or make proper amends.

In the end, even this is "petty": it is just our humiliation about something we did not know we wanted to do until they offered it. Pride and self worth are a big part of the human's positive psyche but it does heal better than physical or economic injuries do. I got over not being picked for flag football in the 3rd grade by the time I was in high school. :D

As pureolive said, Jeff T has been responding.

He would like to help about the lack of response and communication. I left a post on your latest article on your blog with his email address. He would like some more information about the letter and the uninvited.He has some ideas.

Edited by Azulann

We got the letter - and the credit which we will happily spend. But I do wish he had left out the sentence claiming they were only trying to do a good thing by offloading the VIPS so their presence would not detract from our 'valued guest' dining experience. Having a hard time swallowing that one. Think it's much more likely an 'oops' so now having more angst where there wasn't any. But maybe I'm just too cynical.

To answer someone's question, there are 125 of us 50 day (now) crazies. All cabin categories equally effected.

Speaking of communication - did those folks who are signed up for the Pulpit Rock cruise happen to notice that the departure time for that optional tour got changed from 2:00 pm to 10:30? It was in the fine print of the Viking Daily. Hope everyone caught that...