New Port Everglades Security Checkpoint

DanJ

Haven't seen this mentioned in this forum (might have missed it), and only passing reference in the Princess forum (which this change affects most). Port Everglades has opened a new security checkpoint on Eisenhower Blvd south of 17th St, replacing the former checkpoint that was closer to the intersection. Previously, people attending events at the convention centre had to clear port security to access the parking garage shared by the convention centre and terminals 1 and 2. Princess is the primary user of terminal 2. With the new checkpoint, vehicles going to the convention centre or terminals 1 and 2 do not clear security. Cruise guests will clear security in the terminal.

Not quite as recent, but still news to many, is that neighbouring terminal 4 was recently renovated and is no longer accessed from the same road that terminal 2 is. You go through the new security, and just south of that (just north of the 24th St intersection), a new road to the left takes you back to the terminal. What I'm not sure of is how passengers using terminal 4 are supposed to use the Northport parking garage, which is now outside of the secure port area and the port website doesn't specify anything, other than the garage is used for terminals 1, 2 and 4. I imagine once the pier is extended at terminal 4 that Princess will start to use it as it's overflow terminal when they have multiple ships in port.

I was puzzled about how they could move the Eisenhower Blvd security gates south of Terminals 1 and 2. According to an article I read in the Sun-Sentinel a couple of weeks ago, the security isn't for the cruise ships after all...what they are securing is the oil refinery!

Thank you very much for posting this information. This change could have an impact on how my traveling companion will get out of there in a couple weeks. There is (or was) a wheelchair accessible route going through the garage from Terminal 2 all the way to SE 17th St. I took it last year. If that route is blocked, going out by Terminal 4 could be a problem for her.

Because of your posting, I did send an email to my contact with the Port Authority. He has assisted us through the handicap unfriendly conditions in the past. He will let us know exactly what route to take.

Betty

Edited by raindropsalways

I was puzzled about how they could move the Eisenhower Blvd security gates south of Terminals 1 and 2. According to an article I read in the Sun-Sentinel a couple of weeks ago, the security isn't for the cruise ships after all...what they are securing is the oil refinery!

Port Everglades is a rather unique port due to the mixture of cargo and passenger services throughout the port. There aren't defined, separate cruise and cargo areas there. Most other "cruise" ports we have been to don't have the same type of security entering the port as Port Everglades. Most are like an airport, where you can drive up to the terminal. Hopefully removing Terminal 2 traffic from the mix will somewhat speed up the traffic entering the port on Eisenhower.

Thank you for posting this information. I will be parking in the garage at terminal 2 on Jan.10. In the past the security guard provided a card to hang on your mirror which I believe had the return date of your cruise on it. Am I correct in assuming that these are no longer required since you don't have to pass through security on Eisenhower Blvd prior to entering the garage?

Thank you very much for posting this information. This change could have an impact on how my traveling companion will get out of there in a couple weeks. There is (or was) a wheelchair accessible route going through the garage from Terminal 2 all the way to SE 17th St. I took it last year. If that route is blocked, going out by Terminal 4 could be a problem for her.

Because of your posting, I did send an email to my contact with the Port Authority. He has assisted us through the handicap unfriendly conditions in the past. He will let us know exactly what route to take.

Betty

Hello,

The route has not changed from Terminal 2 to 17th Street.

The new checkpoint is farther back on Eisenhower, closer to the new entrance to Terminal 4.

Thank you for posting this information. I will be parking in the garage at terminal 2 on Jan.10. In the past the security guard provided a card to hang on your mirror which I believe had the return date of your cruise on it. Am I correct in assuming that these are no longer required since you don't have to pass through security on Eisenhower Blvd prior to entering the garage?

If you enter the Port from 17th Street/Eisenhower, you will not receive a hangtag or pass through the checkpoint.

Edited by foflocruiser

We will be disembarking from a Royal Caribbean cruise, taking an inter-port taxi to board a Princess cruise.

After dropping off our bags at Princess' Terminal 2 we'd like to walk to Total Wine.

Can we walk from terminal 2 along SE 20th Steet? It appears on the map to be a much shorter walk than taking 17th St which most here seem to suggest.

We will be disembarking from a Royal Caribbean cruise, taking an inter-port taxi to board a Princess cruise.

After dropping off our bags at Princess' Terminal 2 we'd like to walk to Total Wine.

Can we walk from terminal 2 along SE 20th Steet? It appears on the map to be a much shorter walk than taking 17th St which most here seem to suggest.

You'll have to walk along 17th Street since there are fences along the edge of the Port Everglades property bordering the backs of the strip malls along 17th Street.

You'll have to walk along 17th Street since there are fences along the edge of the Port Everglades property bordering the backs of the strip malls along 17th Street.

20th is open to the back of the plaza as this is where those stores get their deliveries. However there is a truck gate on 20th immediately east of the plaza and it's hit or miss whether that gate would be open or not. Given that 20th is now accessed from Eisenhower without passing security, I imagine that gate won't be open so as to avoid having people in cars deciding that would be a quick way to avoid 17th st traffic getting to the port. I believe Total Wine is at the east end of the plaza, so it would be a quick walk down to the back to see if that gate was open. There aren't any sidewalks down 20th so be careful of tanker traffic.

Thanks to both for the info. Now I understand why folks always seem to use 17th St.

Any idea how long/far the walk from Terminal 2 to Total Wine via 17th St.?

I estimate between 1 and 1.5 miles.

Thanks to both for the info. Now I understand why folks always seem to use 17th St.

Any idea how long/far the walk from Terminal 2 to Total Wine via 17th St.?

According to googlemaps it is a 1 mile/about an 18 minute walk (leaving terminal 2 go north on Eisenhower, left on 17th Street, left on Cordova, into the shopping center and Total Wine is on the left towards the end of the row of shops in front of you).

Edited by capriccio

I think this is further than I care to walk, especially schlepping two bottles of wine. Walgreens seems to be the closest, do they sell wine? If not then looks like International Market is just a little further.

I think this is further than I care to walk, especially schlepping two bottles of wine. Walgreens seems to be the closest, do they sell wine? If not then looks like International Market is just a little further.

You can always take the cheap Sun Trolley back and forth (or walk there and take the trolley back).

Where do I pick up the Sun Trolley?

Flag it down anywhere along 17th street. Check the website for the routes (http://www.suntrolley.com). When exiting Port Everglades at the intersection of Eisenhower and 17th Street, if you stay on the south side (closest to the port) of 17th Street you are picking up the trolley heading to the beach. Cross 17th Street to the north side and you'll be picking up the trolley heading to Harbor Shops.

I am just double checking on access to Terminal 4 from the Eisenhower Blvd entrance to the port.

We will have a rental car and our plan is to drop off our luggage at Terminal 4 for the Celebrity Constellation, head to the airport to return the car, then shuttle back to the Terminal.

So the question in my mind..Is Terminal 4 accessible by going in the Eisenhower Bld security checkpoint? I am pretty sure it is, but want to be sure.

I am just double checking on access to Terminal 4 from the Eisenhower Blvd entrance to the port.

We will have a rental car and our plan is to drop off our luggage at Terminal 4 for the Celebrity Constellation, head to the airport to return the car, then shuttle back to the Terminal.

So the question in my mind..Is Terminal 4 accessible by going in the Eisenhower Bld security checkpoint? I am pretty sure it is, but want to be sure.

Yes, a couple hundred feet after you go through security, you will make a left and the driveway goes back up to the front of 4. Depending on where you are coming from, you can also enter on 24th and clear security there and then turn left onto Eisenhower and into 4.

For what it's worth, we've only ever dropped luggage once before returning the rental car. Found it more hassle and time wastage than it was worth to enter the port to do that, only to leave again, and come back. But it's up to you and again, where you are coming from.

Here's the Google map image showing the new security under construction and the new roadway going up to 4.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@26.0945945,-80.124325,197m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

Edited by DanJ

Yes, a couple hundred feet after you go through security, you will make a left and the driveway goes back up to the front of 4. Depending on where you are coming from, you can also enter on 24th and clear security there and then turn left onto Eisenhower and into 4.

For what it's worth, we've only ever dropped luggage once before returning the rental car. Found it more hassle and time wastage than it was worth to enter the port to do that, only to leave again, and come back. But it's up to you and again, where you are coming from.

Here's the Google map image showing the new security under construction and the new roadway going up to 4.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@26.0945945,-80.124325,197m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

Thanks!

We are only coming from the Embassy Suites. The car has to be back at 10:30 so we figured we would have the time before the huge rush to drop the bags and go out the other exit towards the airport and still get back to the port in decent time and avoid taking the bags out of the car, onto the rental car shuttle then out to check in.

Thanks!

We are only coming from the Embassy Suites. The car has to be back at 10:30 so we figured we would have the time before the huge rush to drop the bags and go out the other exit towards the airport and still get back to the port in decent time and avoid taking the bags out of the car, onto the rental car shuttle then out to check in.

Yeah, that works. Make sure you keep your documents with you lol.

Yes, Walgreens sells wine. If you drink inexpensive wines, you'll have a selection to choose from.