Norwegian's Upgrade Advantage Program

ehcruise

Hello everyone - I just received the upgrade email from Norwegian yesterday. I am set to sail on the Getaway on April 9. We are booked in a Guarantee Oceanview. I would like to upgrade to either a balcony or a mini-suite. The email said that bids start at $25 pp for the balcony and $50 pp for the mini suite. Just curious - anyone out there bid on an upgrade and had their offer accepted? I was wondering how high you actually have to bid to be accepted? Is it really worth it to purchase an upgrade through the bidding process? Seems like you would get a better deal if you just went to your travel agent or NCL and requested an upgrade directly. It might be a good deal if you are interested in the Haven cabins, but for regular balcony or suite upgrades, seems like NCL is making money on the bidding process. I checked NCL and with my travel agent and upgrading to a balcony would cost me about $200 more. However, the graphic on the NCL bid upgrade link said that a bid of $200 is just an average bid. Seems like this would be a good only if I won a bid that was under $200?

Anyways, a lengthy post to simply find out what other people's experience has been with the bidding process - how high or low did you bid to get accepted and how long it took to hear back from NCL.

• 3 weeks later...
Hello everyone - I just received the upgrade email from Norwegian yesterday. I am set to sail on the Getaway on April 9. We are booked in a Guarantee Oceanview. I would like to upgrade to either a balcony or a mini-suite. The email said that bids start at $25 pp for the balcony and $50 pp for the mini suite. Just curious - anyone out there bid on an upgrade and had their offer accepted? I was wondering how high you actually have to bid to be accepted? Is it really worth it to purchase an upgrade through the bidding process? Seems like you would get a better deal if you just went to your travel agent or NCL and requested an upgrade directly. It might be a good deal if you are interested in the Haven cabins, but for regular balcony or suite upgrades, seems like NCL is making money on the bidding process. I checked NCL and with my travel agent and upgrading to a balcony would cost me about $200 more. However, the graphic on the NCL bid upgrade link said that a bid of $200 is just an average bid. Seems like this would be a good only if I won a bid that was under $200?

Anyways, a lengthy post to simply find out what other people's experience has been with the bidding process - how high or low did you bid to get accepted and how long it took to hear back from NCL.

Does your TA give OBC? I am looking for one that participates in Upgrade Advantage and gives OBC

• 1 month later...

For what it's worth, here's what little I know about the program. We booked 2 balconies for the June 2nd Dawn to Bermuda. I received the upgrade email the next day and it says I can bid on a mini-suite and above. If I were to upgrade to a aft penthouse right now, it would cost me $1150pp. The bids under the upgrade advantage program for the same cabin start at $500pp and go to $2000pp. At a bid $1150pp; the same it would cost me to outright upgrade now and get all the suite perks (which you don't get if you win the bid), the meter is at the high fair point of the bid meter. So, while I think there are some good upgrades to be had, people need to know what it would cost to upgrade now and the benefits versus what they want to bid and the benefits or negatives of not getting full suite benefits. In my case, the only thing I am really interested in would be the 3 bedroom garden villa. But, I haven't decided whether to bid on it yet or not.

For what it's worth, here's what little I know about the program. We booked 2 balconies for the June 2nd Dawn to Bermuda. I received the upgrade email the next day and it says I can bid on a mini-suite and above. If I were to upgrade to a aft penthouse right now, it would cost me $1150pp. The bids under the upgrade advantage program for the same cabin start at $500pp and go to $2000pp. At a bid $1150pp; the same it would cost me to outright upgrade now and get all the suite perks (which you don't get if you win the bid), the meter is at the high fair point of the bid meter. So, while I think there are some good upgrades to be had, people need to know what it would cost to upgrade now and the benefits versus what they want to bid and the benefits or negatives of not getting full suite benefits. In my case, the only thing I am really interested in would be the 3 bedroom garden villa. But, I haven't decided whether to bid on it yet or not.

Hi. Are you sure about this - not getting the suite perks if you win a bid for a suite? Mind you I'm no expert but from what I've read, you would get the benefits of the suite / Haven if you win the respective bid. You would not, however, receive any new promos associated with the new bid. For example, if you book a suite / Haven originally, you get all of the promos at the time of booking whereas if you book a balcony, you would only get 1 or 2 of the promos.

I called my TA today and they confirmed this with NCL. We're booked in the Haven (H5) in November and I am hoping to move up to an H3 or an H2 suite and I wanted to confirm whether we would get the perks afforded to H2 or H3 Haven suites. I confirmed that yes we would get the perks associated with an H2 or H3 Haven suite if we bid and win the bid.

I'm hopeful. We've sailed the Haven on the Epic and the Getaway and have decided that we will only sail the Haven. Given that, if we bid and lose, we're still okay with that. I know what we paid for our suite and I know what the cost is of the H2 and H3 and I won't bid unless I know that I would get a great deal.

Cheers!

Hi. Are you sure about this - not getting the suite perks if you win a bid for a suite? Mind you I'm no expert but from what I've read, you would get the benefits of the suite / Haven if you win the respective bid. You would not, however, receive any new promos associated with the new bid. For example, if you book a suite / Haven originally, you get all of the promos at the time of booking whereas if you book a balcony, you would only get 1 or 2 of the promos.

I called my TA today and they confirmed this with NCL. We're booked in the Haven (H5) in November and I am hoping to move up to an H3 or an H2 suite and I wanted to confirm whether we would get the perks afforded to H2 or H3 Haven suites. I confirmed that yes we would get the perks associated with an H2 or H3 Haven suite if we bid and win the bid.

I'm hopeful. We've sailed the Haven on the Epic and the Getaway and have decided that we will only sail the Haven. Given that, if we bid and lose, we're still okay with that. I know what we paid for our suite and I know what the cost is of the H2 and H3 and I won't bid unless I know that I would get a great deal.

Cheers!

I got the same response from my TA and NCL...You WILL get the suite perks, just won't get any extras on stuff like the Free at Sea promo.

I got the same response from my TA and NCL...You WILL get the suite perks, just won't get any extras on stuff like the Free at Sea promo.

I was talking about the fact that when you book a suite outright, you get all of the promos. But when you bid, you keep what you originally had and don't get all of them as is currently offered. Guess I used the wrong term.

In our case, we already get priority boarding and I don't really care about the butler or concierge because we don't use them anyways. I would much rather get the promotions than those

"perks".

• 4 weeks later...

It appears that folks think these two things are the same and are using the terms interchangeably. Using the term perks when you actually mean "Free At Sea" is going to result in problems.

Suite Perks

Free At Sea

Yes, if you NORMALLY book a suite, you get most or all the FREE AT SEA.

Yes, anyone that is in a suite gets the suite perks.

Two different things. Sounds like the "FREE AT SEA" stuff (not perks) stay at the level you originally paid - balcony, etc.

It appears that folks think these two things are the same and are using the terms interchangeably. Using the term perks when you actually mean "Free At Sea" is going to result in problems.

Suite Perks

Free At Sea

Yes, if you NORMALLY book a suite, you get most or all the FREE AT SEA.

Yes, anyone that is in a suite gets the suite perks.

Two different things. Sounds like the "FREE AT SEA" stuff (not perks) stay at the level you originally paid - balcony, etc.

Incorrect. If you follow this forum, you will see that MOST people call Free at Sea promotions "Perks".

Yep... but if you were to talk to NCL would you get the same understanding?

Some suite perks include line privileges, special seating, boarding early, butler, concierge, eating at Cagneys, coffee maker in room, etc.

These are totally different than "Free At Sea"

I agree that folks say it different, but see confusion.

• 4 weeks later...

Cheers!

When they tell you that you will get the perks associated with a suite in the Haven they are talking about Butler Service concierge and dining in the restaurant associated with the Haven. They are not talking about beverage packages or Internet Packages Etc.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Forums mobile app

When they tell you that you will get the perks associated with a suite in the Haven they are talking about Butler Service concierge and dining in the restaurant associated with the Haven. They are not talking about beverage packages or Internet Packages Etc.

Jana, you are responding to a question posted and answered on April 10th.

I,m Confused here cuz I,m in the same boat. If The GTY has not been asigned yet , It could turn into a Balcony Or Better anyway for free.

I would want to see what your dealt first before throughing in What is in your hand Blindly. :confused:

I received the email to upgrade to an ocean view for $20 or more or to a balcony for $50 or more per person. I did bid $75 per person for a balcony. Do we have any chance of winning this upgrade?

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Forums mobile app

Chances of winning?

It depends if others bid more than you.

It depends on how many cabins they have available to upgrade.

It depends....

If I'm a solo passenger is the bid of $50 just $50 or $50 x2?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As per the rules posted by NCL and confirmed in the upgrade thread - it is $50x2. Does not matter if there is one, two, three or four occupants in the cabin.

• 1 month later...

Just cancelled our Upgrade Advantage for NCL Breakaway 8-27 to Bermuda, as I upgraded us from Mid Ship Mini to Courtyard Balcony. The only room I wanted to win the bid on was the aft facing Haven Penthouse, but because I upgraded to the Courtyard it was removed from my choices! I don't need a 2 bdrm and there are no Owners Suites left, the only room I really wanted to upgrade to was the aft facing and the Upsell Dept said because it is a lower category I can't bid (even though it costs more money).

That just doesn't make sense to me..

Just cancelled our Upgrade Advantage for NCL Breakaway 8-27 to Bermuda, as I upgraded us from Mid Ship Mini to Courtyard Balcony. The only room I wanted to win the bid on was the aft facing Haven Penthouse, but because I upgraded to the Courtyard it was removed from my choices! I don't need a 2 bdrm and there are no Owners Suites left, the only room I really wanted to upgrade to was the aft facing and the Upsell Dept said because it is a lower category I can't bid (even though it costs more money).

That just doesn't make sense to me..

What was your winning bid to get the Courtyard Balcony?