Jewel March 26 - April 2, from a different point of view

For a long time I've wanted to do the Southern Caribbean itinerary out of San Juan on Jewel. After "sampling" Allure and Anthem, we decided that the Radiance class is the right size for us.

I've carefully checked the 2 alternate itineraries, and decided (following Bob's advice) to go with the one which included Dominica and Grenada, which are less on the "beaten" track.

Since we have to pass through NY on our way to SJ, I've also tried to cruise as late as possible in the season, to avoid adverse weather in NY. Also, not to find ourselves flying on Passover/Easter and pay "premium" for holidays.

Found a good deal on Jewel, with reduced deposit and 300$ for the March 19th.All set in November 2015, for a cruise in March 2017.

Didn't manage to book a hump cabin, but kept looking everyday. And that's how I've found out, in April 2016, that our cruise is suddenly "waitlisted".Asked our TA, who couldn't find a satisfactory answer re: the whereabouts of our cruise.

Again,on Bob's advice, I didn't cancel the cruise, but put a hold, and then, when it expired, a deposit for the following week cruise.

After 6 weeks of incertitude, RC finally let us know that our cruise was chartered and offered 200$ OBC for our "disappointment" + 2 other price protected cruises, which were either on Passover eve or Easter eve.

We "stuck" with the 26th March one, and I continued looking for a hump cabin and affordable flights to SJ.

In July I was lucky to see that 2 humps became available (#8594 & 8596), and immediately booked the first one. For the first time in our cruising history,we had a hump cabin.

Flights to SJ – a "painful" item. Delta, AA, United – were "hovering" around 550-600$ pp round trip. Through Kayak I"discovered" JetBlue, and booked for 410$ pp. The hours and the price were the most "reasonable" I've found.

We were very satisfied with this company – new aircrafts, plenty of leg room, and even wifi for almost 30 min after departing JFK. Punctual too.

Taking into consideration adverse weather (blizzard Stella a week before our flight proved me right) and jet lag (12 hours from Tel Aviv + 4 hours to SJ), we decided to arrive 4 days before the cruise. In the end, it took us about a week to "return to normal".

Since DH had a "close encounter" with melanoma back in 2000, no beaches for us (almost like Seinfeld "soup-****" – "no soup for you").It comes with long sleeves, long pants and "high-octane" SPF.

Looking for an affordable SJ hotel pre-cruise, being on the beach was not a consideration.

Best Western Condado ticked all the boxes for us – in a lively neighborhood with plenty of restaurants to choose from, 2 local buses right on the corner going to Old SJ, free b'fast (mother taught me not to leave home on an empty stomach)and wifi. Highly recommended.

We enjoyed OSJ, were lucky enough to have not so hot cloudy days, took the free trolley to the forts, spent time people watching.

Embarkation – we travel light, carry ons only. On arrival (10.45AM), we saw a line "no baggage" and asked one of the workers if that's the right line for us. It was a group of 4-5, chatting. They looked at me like I've spoken Swahili, and after repeating my question, deigned to reply – "embarkation hasn't started yet"…. So we joined others online, for "baggage drop offs". After 30 min, I finally saw a RC employee, who was also not so happy to reply, but in the end sent us to the"suite"/"no baggage" line…

First time I've witnessed a "don't give a damn" attitude at pier.

In the end, they opened the doors, and we were among the first to enter, and even got to chose the check in counter. DH said "let's go to the older lady, I bet she's more experienced". Wrong. The young one next her processed 3 couples by the time we were still at the counter. She didn't know how to screen our passports, and then she couldn't find our entry stamp. Brand new passport –only stamp "in town"…. In the end, another young guy came to her rescue…

From that on – we only met smiling and helpful staff the whole cruise. Also, didn't witness any hard sell. We weren't even approached !!!

I"parked" DH at the GS, and rushed to book a RC excursion with my OBC. Our cruise didn't qualify for the "use OBC before the cruise".

We also had a massage for one and a dinner for 2 from our TA, besides free grats.

Booked the massage for 6PM, told the masseuse that I'm not interested in any products (still, she gave me a list at the end, "to consider"). The free massage was 21$ grats and I gave her a ten on top of that.

For the "free dinner" we went to Chops and also made a reservation to Giovanni's, to use some of the OBC.

I'd say the first day set the "food-mood" for the remaining week. Muster was at 8PM, and we don't eat early. Decided to eat dinner at WJ after muster.We were still tired. Liked the ability to eat quickly.

2nd day - Dinner at Chops was 2 long hours, I had 2 scallops, DH – 1 scallop and one crab cake. The scallops were very good. DH prefers not to eat meat – he had the fish (Barzini?) and I had the 12oz NY strip. I guess I had high expectations from the steak – in Israel, all the beef meat is"kosher" – salting it takes all the flavor away. My only opportunity to eat a good beef is abroad. Tried Peter Luger in NY…

Chops' disappointed. The fish was just OK. Side dish I've ordered "truffle fries" – got your garden variety French fries…. Also, the temperature was freezing. That's my big "beef" with the ship – very cold everywhere.After this, we decided to cancel the Giovanni's res.

We ended up dinning (and b'fasting and lunching) only at WJ.

B'fast was OK – we always managed to find places outside (and not to suffer from the AC), placed order at the omelette station, got the pager – very efficient.

Lunch– was the biggest disappointment. I like to try different dishes and make several rounds. Take very small portions, and if I like, I go for seconds, even thirds. Until this cruise, I could rely on a good soup if nothing catches my"attention". They always have 2 kinds of soup at lunch, and at dinner. This time, found the soups salty, watery, tasteless.

One day I saw "minestrone" – yay, I said to myself – vegetables galore.I'm taking a spoon – beans… Beans? Yes, only beans in "minestrone",and under cooked to boot. Went back to try the other soup, and saw the chef.Told him about the beans. He said "we'll look into it". After a few minutes he came to thank me for the "feedback".

Definitely a big food downgrade – no seafood, almost no beef. Chicken, Indian food (a whole station!). Mashed potatoes, shepherd's pie, only one kind of steamed vegetable. We started cruising only 7 years ago (also on Jewel) and I remember the riches of choices.

Also,if a tray was half empty, another full tray magically appeared from behind the counter.

One evening they had lasagna bolognese, which I've found tasty, went for seconds –empty. It was a few minutes past 8, not the end of the shift. I asked "no more lasagna?". The girl behind the counter was very embarrassed –"actually, there was, but Giovanni's kind of finished theirs, so they took ours…" "WHAT??"

The one thing I liked in the evenings was the waffle/crepes station. I had a ball.

Our cabin location on the hump was everything I've dreamed of. I could see both sides and down. Surprise (huge) – after reading that noise from the Centrum bothered pax, I was afraid that my "hunting" for a hump cabin will have the "two-edged sword" effect. Also, there was almost no traffic near it.

The only downside – which I've already mentioned in the "cabin compilation" sticky – the balcony divider with #8592 was "see through" and didn't go down "all the way". No privacy from this side. The other divider to #8596 was the standard one. BUT, given the opportunity – I'll book this cabin again, or may be #8596.

Excursions – as I said long time ago, at the beginning,no beaches for us. Booked only excursions with the option to skip the beach at the end, or private ones.

St. Thomas – the only excursion we took through the ship, mainly because it involved a "coastal cruise" to St. John, and also used some OBC.

It was a bust. We were supposed to see the National Park at St. John, but the driver was rushed – he had another group from X – so, when we saw a scenic view, he said "Don't worry, I'll stop on our way back", but on the way back he stopped the car, but we were not allowed to descend.

It was an "open" bus, with 4 seats on every row. On the"scenic" side we had a very overweight woman, who blocked our view,took her sweet time to take pictures, and couldn't care less that others also wanted this.

Actually,the driver didn't let us out at all, because "he had to be back by 11 fort he other group". Very disappointing.

St. Kitts – booked the Grand Island Tour with ThenfordGrey. Got his brother, Sackville – engaging personality and excellent guide. We saw the highlights – Caribbele Batik, Romney Manor, Brimstone Fortress, Timothy ill. Beautiful view, lots of poverty.

Antigua – booked a private tour with Elmo Safari Tours. Best tour. Saw everything on my list – Betty's hope, Devil's bridge,Nelson's Dockyard, Shirley Heights (where we had lunch with a million dollar view) and Fig Tree drive.

St. Lucia - booked a private tour with James Touring Service, almost missed the "all aboard". Wrote another thread about this stressful adventure.

Barbados - After 4 days of intensive touring, we decided to play it by the ear. DH is an art and photography buff, and I wanted something for him, and for me – to at least swim once in the Caribbean sea,while he's waiting for me in the shade, preferably air conditioned…

Negotiated a taxi (we r from the Middle East, aren't we?), outside the port – 70 $ for a 3 hour trip – to Bathsheba for photo opp, and then to a beach with wifi… Near the ship they assured me that I'll be back – "No way I'll find a taxi for less than 100$".

To Bathsheba we went, took pics, and then he took us to Harbor Lights. Beautiful beach, paid 20$ for 2 chairs and umbrella, which I used to leave my things, go swimming in the amazing water, while DH checked emails and FB with high speed wifi. A good day and fit ending.

No M&M.

As platinum, went to the "high tier welcome party". Very poor attendance. More officers than guests. We "got" the revenue officer.

We don't drink, gamble and didn't go to any entertainment, mainly because the language barrier.

Disembarkation – With our carry ons, we don't bother and chose to leave the ship as later as allowed. We had a 1.15PM flight back to JFK, and the last guests were allowed to stay until 10AM. There was a 30 min delay starting at 9AM, and we left the ship around 10.30.

I'm glad we've done this itinerary, once. It was tiresome. I think another sea day or 2 would be best.

Bottom line – this is an itinerary best for beaches – mainly for those escaping the harsh winter.

Edited by dani negreanu
the robot

I'vecarefully checked the 2 alternate itineraries, and decided (following Bob'sadvice) to go with the one which included Dominica and Grenada, which are lesson the "beaten" track.

Next year I'm doing Jewel for the 3rd time, 2nd southern Caribbean on her and picked an itinerary with those same ports for the same reason. I will look forward to what you have to share!

Thanks,

Next year I'm doing Jewel for the 3rd time, 2nd southern Caribbean on her and picked an itinerary with those same ports for the same reason. I will look forward to what you have to share!

Thanks,

Hi Bill,

That's it. That's what I had to share, enjoy, and pls. let me know if you have any questions. I tried to keep it [the post] reasonably short....:D:D

• 4 weeks later...

Dani, I am in this cabin for the TA next year, and would like if you could elaborate on see through divider. Is it not the standard frosted glass that separates all of the other cabins? Do you happen to have a picture of this?

Dani, I am in this cabin for the TA next year, and would like if you could elaborate on see through divider. Is it not the standard frosted glass that separates all of the other cabins? Do you happen to have a picture of this?

Sorry, didn't take a pic.

What I can describe in my "broken" English is that it was not as frosted as the other side (#8596) and it was narrow, meaning I'm a "whooping" 5 feet and I could easily see the whole neighboring balcony. Think those tavern-wood doors in Western movies :D

Nevertheless, we'll be traveling with a couple of friends in Radiance next January and I've booked them in #8594 (while we'll enjoy our first JS). Since it's before your cruise, I'll make sure to take a picture of the divider and post it for you :D

Sorry, didn't take a pic.

What I can describe in my "broken" English is that it was not as frosted as the other side (#8596) and it was narrow, meaning I'm a "whooping" 5 feet and I could easily see the whole neighboring balcony. Think those tavern-wood doors in Western movies :D

Nevertheless, we'll be traveling with a couple of friends in Radiance next January and I've booked them in #8594 (while we'll enjoy our first JS). Since it's before your cruise, I'll make sure to take a picture of the divider and post it for you :D

Awesome! I'd really appreciate it!!