Looking for travel purse suggestions

Twitchly

Probably more for the ladies ... what purse/handbag/etc. do you carry while on shore? What works for you and why?

I use the same handbag on a cruise that I would use at home. I mean, if it works for me at home why shouldn't it work for me on vacation? I also wear the same clothing and jewelry that I wear at home. I don't buy into the idea that I need specialty items just because I'm away.

I think I am in the minority but I rarely carry a purse on vacation, and never if we are doing an excursion. I like having my hands free and not worrying about a handbag. Plus I like nice bags and they draw the wrong attention.

DH is kind enough to carry a small backpack that is large enough to fit umbrella, my small cosmetics bag and things like hand sanitizer, small sunscreen, ibuprofen, sunglasses, and tissues. Nothing valuable in the backpack, so if it were stolen we wouldn't care.

We each carry a different credit card and small amount of cash for the day in our front pockets (cash in one pocket and CC in other pocket), so no wallets for either of us.

I would do a very small cross-body theft-proof travelon if I were to carry a purse.

I will be honest that I am leery of anything with a strap because I don't care if my stuff gets stolen, but I don't want to be yanked to the pavement or down stairs in the process!

An injury would be much more upsetting to me than losing a credit card or some cosmetics.

I use the same handbag on a cruise that I would use at home. I mean, if it works for me at home why shouldn't it work for me on vacation? I also wear the same clothing and jewelry that I wear at home. I don't buy into the idea that I need specialty items just because I'm away.

Traveling presents some interesting differences, at least for me. For example, at home I don’t usually carry a water bottle or umbrella while trying to keep my hands free to take pictures. I’m also less likely to carry my phone in an unsecured outer pocket of my purse while in busy, pickpocket-friendly ports like Barcelona.

Traveling presents some interesting differences, at least for me. For example, at home I don’t usually carry a water bottle or umbrella while trying to keep my hands free to take pictures. I’m also less likely to carry my phone in an unsecured outer pocket of my purse while in busy, pickpocket-friendly ports like Barcelona.

Fair enough. I will clarify. Like you, I usually carry a water bottle--especially because Viking hands them out at the gangway at every shore excursion--and an umbrella when the weather requires it (mini size), and my cell phone because I seem to take a photo a minute. ;p On vacation I prefer to use one of my tote bags, the ones that run about 14" x 10". I use fabric (such as Vera Bradley or Longchamp) in the summer and leather ( such as Arcadia) in other seasons. Both the brands I mention have interior side pockets in which I place my cell phone so it's handy. Sometimes, too, I use a Baggallini cross-body bag because the colors are bright and cheerful and they're machine washable. But really, any bag that I carry on vacation is also a bag that I use at home.

I find this Travelon purse the right size for carrying water bottle, umbrella, small camera and all the little things you want with you on a shore excursion. It has some different zippered pockets to keep all organized and secure.

42857 Anti-Theft Classic Light Slouch Hobo

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Forums mobile app

I have a cross body purse made by Baggallini.

I have used it on my last four vacations to Europe and Central America.

Lots of zippers and little pockets. Carry my cell phone for pictures, reading glasses, some money, one credit card and a neat little roll up pouch that turns into a nice tote for all my treasures!

I have been traveling for years with bags made by this company. They are beautiful, tough as nails, can be thrown in the washing machine, and come in all shapes and sizes. I'm considering downsizing to a newer smaller bag like this http://mapleleather.com/handsfree_tapestry/t15.html.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I use what I would use everyday... I lived in a city so it’s rare that I’d go anywhere more or less crime filled on vacation. Just as I wouldn’t have my wallet hanging out of an open-top bag here at home I don’t see the need to duct tape my possessions to my body when anywhere else.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't see the need for all these purses with safety features.

I like Kipling bags for travel. They are lightweight, sturdy, cute -- well cuter than Travelon or Pac-Safe -- and come in a variety of colors and sizes.

One thing no one has mentioned is rain. I have taken several tours where it rained buckets (Glanum, outside of Arles, comes to mind) and we were all soaked after walking around outside for a couple of hours. Kipling bags have good zippers and a waterproof lining so my stuff doesn't get wet, unlike a lot of other peoples things. My camera and phone appreciate that.

Do NOT wear a purse with reinforced strap or with an embedded cut-proof wire. One of the favorite ways thieves use grab-n-go is from a motorbike, and if your strap doesn't break....something in you will as you are knocked down and dragged along the pavement.