Cococay- cabana vs bungalow

Lmm79

sorry to beat a dead horse but I have both of these booked for an upcoming cruise and I need to drop one.

I am having a heck of a time figuring out which to keep. We have 2 kids -8 and 4. They want to be in the water. Us adults have the drink package. We want the attendants to keep us hydrated. Any thoughts?

I guarantee that the kids will not be using the cabana or bungalow...they will be out and about in the water/sand playing and splashing! So, you really don't need a huge space. You will be with the kids while they're in the water, too...so even you won't be spending a huge amount of time inside whatever structure you pay for!

I guarantee that the kids will not be using the cabana or bungalow...they will be out and about in the water/sand playing and splashing! So, you really don't need a huge space. You will be with the kids while they're in the water, too...so even you won't be spending a huge amount of time inside whatever structure you pay for!

Ok. We are going in June and we want a guaranteed shaded place. We have rented on Labadee before. I don’t need opinions about whether we should have a structure-I need opinions on which one to keep. A lot of the information about the differences between them seems like before they moved things around.

Assuming the cabanas haven't moved again since November, the current location is great. It's on a small peninsula right on the main beach area so it's not a far walk, and has its own roped off beach section for cabana use only.

We've not gotten one before, but we've had access at lunch time while staying in a GS.... and the food menu is better than the regular lunch served on the island.

I'm not familiar with the location of the bungalow area.

If you're looking for shade then I would go with the Cabana's. The bungalows are open on the sides so it's not always shaded. I just returned from having a cabana and while the bungalow area was nice, with kids and wanting shade I would go with a cabana.

Cabanas r now in a new position by the jet ski area. I booked a cabana bc my girlfriend wanted to be in one but if it were for me bungalow are in a better position n better part of the beach.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Bungalows are limited to the number of people. I think 6 max. Cabanas for up to 10 (IIRC).

Cabanas have an upgraded buffet and a bar right there (and cabana side service). I think the bungalows get the special menu, you order in advance, and it is delivered to the bungalow.

The bungalows are a ways from most of the activities.

Ten in a Bungalow??? Where did you see this? My Cruise Planner (Enchantment - December) limits both the Cabanas and Bungalows to 6 people. I had heard the limit for Bungalows was 8 (and was hoping the website was incorrect with the 6), so I called RCI last night to see what the "real" limit was, as my under 12 granddaughter would be the 7th in our group. The Representative said no-- the limit was 6.

Just got off the Anthem last week and we had a cabana last week at Coco Cay. The max people is supped to be6 but we saw several families tipping the cabana attendent and they gave families more then 6 VIP bracelets. (One family had at least 10 people in their cabana.)

The cabanas had great shade (this is why we booked one). The upgraded buffet was horrible (undercooked meats, cold cut and cheese trays that had been out in the heat too long and were sweating or discolored 🤢). There was a bar with the buffet, where you had to go to get drinks. Unlike in Labadee where the cabin attendant got them for you.

Overall, I’m grateful we had the shade (I’m a melanoma survivor and very precautious in the sun.). They are located right by where the jet skis go in and out of.

One other perk was that we didn’t need to get a tender ticket to get off the ship, we were allowed to go with the first tender group off the ship.

Ten in a Bungalow??? Where did you see this? My Cruise Planner (Enchantment - December) limits both the Cabanas and Bungalows to 6 people. I had heard the limit for Bungalows was 8 (and was hoping the website was incorrect with the 6), so I called RCI last night to see what the "real" limit was, as my under 12 granddaughter would be the 7th in our group. The Representative said no-- the limit was 6.

Just got off the Anthem last week and we had a cabana last week at Coco Cay. The max people is supped to be6 but we saw several families tipping the cabana attendent and they gave families more then 6 VIP bracelets. (One family had at least 10 people in their cabana.)

The cabanas had great shade (this is why we booked one). The upgraded buffet was horrible (undercooked meats, cold cut and cheese trays that had been out in the heat too long and were sweating or discolored 濫). There was a bar with the buffet, where you had to go to get drinks. Unlike in Labadee where the cabin attendant got them for you.

Overall, I’m grateful we had the shade (I’m a melanoma survivor and very precautious in the sun.). They are located right by where the jet skis go in and out of.

One other perk was that we didn’t need to get a tender ticket to get off the ship, we were allowed to go with the first tender group off the ship.

We had a bungalow at CocoCay in December and loved it. There is a roof and a back wall, and there are curtains on the sides and in the front. Getting shade wasn't a problem. Here is a portion of my review:

The waters were rough today, so it was a rocky tender ride, but we had perfect beach weather. We had pre-booked a bungalow ($195 for up to six people), so tender tickets weren’t required as that is considered a shore excursion which includes priority tenders. Despite the fact that the bungalow holds six, the eight of us who got off of the ship were permitted to tender together. When we got off of the tender, we walked a short distance and boarded a shuttle that took all of us to the bungalow area where we checked in and were given six bracelets. The bungalow employees were watchful and didn’t hesitate to ask our non-bracelet-wearing kids to leave the bungalow.

The bungalows were great. They had curtains you could leave down or tie back, and most of the day there was a nice breeze. There was U-shaped cushioned seating and a nice table in the bungalow, and we were provided two lounge chairs as well for the beach. We were also provided four big bottles of water (in a cooler with ice) and floating mats. Our bungalow was very close to a restroom and also to a bar. Our previously ordered food was delivered to us. We also could have gone to the buffet as well, had we chosen to. The swim-up bar was lively, and there were a lot of fish, small sharks and a stingray hanging around.

Edited by KelJ

Wow, Kelly, $95? Right now, with 10% off, the Bungalows are $251. I'm going to go ahead and reserve one anyway, and hope the price goes down. What were your choices when you ordered lunch?

Ooops! It was $195. I corrected it. Yes, $95 would have been a great price!

We were asked to go to Wonderland to make our bungalow lunch choices, and I wish I would have taken a picture of the menu. Maybe someone else has a picture of it?

I believe there were nachos, hamburgers, tacos, fish, fruit, cookies, and many other things that I can't recall.

There is a picture of some of the food and how it's served if you Google "RCCL CocoCay bungalows" on a RCCL blog. I can't copy and paste the link.

Edited by KelJ

I have a cabana booked for May, & right now, my only concern is that the bathroom is not nearby -- it looks like it's better for the bungalows. Here is a link to the map--

Section 19 (lower right corner) are the cabanas, section 32 (lower left) are the bungalows, which also appear to be closer to the bars :).

http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/shared_assets/images/ports/pages/cococay-2017-map.pdf

DH & DD are doing the Jet Ski, & at least 2 of us are snorkeling, so the cabanas are in a good area for that. Both hold 6, per my cruise planner, but the cabana has solid sides in the back on a raised platform, an open area with a couple of loungers, & a sofa/ table underneath. Also has the floating mats, water, towels & snorkeling equipment.

Bungalows have open sides (with curtains), & everything else except the snorkeling equipment, but I don't know if it comes with lounge chairs in addition to the other seating.

I wanted the cabana for the coverage (other DD has medical conditions where overheating is a bad idea) & its location is convenient for the other things we wanted to do. Did not know that it automatically gets you in an early tender -- that's very good news!

I have a cabana booked for May, & right now, my only concern is that the bathroom is not nearby -- it looks like it's better for the bungalows. Here is a link to the map--

Section 19 (lower right corner) are the cabanas, section 32 (lower left) are the bungalows, which also appear to be closer to the bars :).

http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/shared_assets/images/ports/pages/cococay-2017-map.pdf

DH & DD are doing the Jet Ski, & at least 2 of us are snorkeling, so the cabanas are in a good area for that. Both hold 6, per my cruise planner, but the cabana has solid sides in the back on a raised platform, an open area with a couple of loungers, & a sofa/ table underneath. Also has the floating mats, water, towels & snorkeling equipment.

Bungalows have open sides (with curtains), & everything else except the snorkeling equipment, but I don't know if it comes with lounge chairs in addition to the other seating.

I wanted the cabana for the coverage (other DD has medical conditions where overheating is a bad idea) & its location is convenient for the other things we wanted to do. Did not know that it automatically gets you in an early tender -- that's very good news!

The bathrooms are a little bit of a walk on uneven sand from the cabanas to get to. It also sounds like the bungalows have a much better lunch menu!

Will try to attach the photo that I took from last Tuesday’s Coco Cay Bungalow menu.

It sounds like a Bungalow would be perfect for you. We shared one with our adult kids and our 16 month and 3 1/2 yr old grandsons.

Plenty of shade with a cool breeze in the Bungalow. Lots of soft sand to dig in right in front of Bungalow with calm, shallow water very close. Limit is definitely 6 people, but I’m not sure how they count the 3 & unders.4e8b23c5105e1132f374164eb77c2ee1.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by JaneStarr
Fixing formating from app

Will try to attach the photo that I took from last Tuesday’s Coco Cay Bungalow menu.

It sounds like a Bungalow would be perfect for you. We shared one with our adult kids and our 16 month and 3 1/2 yr old grandsons.

Plenty of shade with a cool breeze in the Bungalow. Lots of soft sand to dig in right in front of Bungalow with calm, shallow water very close. Limit is definitely 6 people, but I’m not sure how they count the 3 &

Don’t know how to add more than one than one pic from app, so I’m quoting myself. 60c13fcee47c7700dbffdcacde1b0402.jpeg

Edited by JaneStarr

I will be at CocoCay in November with Husband and MIL. Last June, husband and I rented a "beach Bed" that was not very expensive. ($100 total) It was located near the bar, on the "other side" where we took the coco train to get to it. The lunch that came with it was lackluster for sure, but we LOVED the quiet location and the mostly enclosed area for shade.

I am disappointed that I don't see this option for our next cruise; only the more expensive Bungalow or Cabana? We may just take our chances with the beach chair side.

Anyone hear why they no longer offer the Beach Bed option?

AFAIK they still have the beach beds, but they may be sold out, they go quickly.

In August, there were attendants circulating in the cabana area taking drink orders and delivering. And the bar is right by the buffet.

The buffet was fine in August. And we go there a bit late due to jet ski timing.

One thing, the roof is NOT rain proof. We got a bit of a drizzle in the afternoon, and the grass roof did not the water.

sorry to beat a dead horse but I have both of these booked for an upcoming cruise and I need to drop one.

I am having a heck of a time figuring out which to keep. We have 2 kids -8 and 4. They want to be in the water. Us adults have the drink package. We want the attendants to keep us hydrated. Any thoughts?

We have done both the bungalow and cabana. We were just there last month. IMHO the cabana is the way to go, especially with little kids who want to be in water. Although the bungalow has a nice location, the water by the bungalow had a lot of sea grass and a rocky location there, not good for the little ones to swim. The cabana area was all sand in water, on a nice roped off area, perfect for swimming and floating on the mats that are provided. There were a bunch of families with kids there, and kids were having a Blast playing/ swimming in the water and on beach. Plus the private Buffett in cabana area was awesome! Bar for both is close. Cabana was just more private with a nicer swimming area, also a lot of fish swimming around in the water for the kids to check out! You also get a deck with the cabana.

But no matter which one you pick- you will enjoy it. They are really both nice. We just love the cabana. Coco cay is one of our favorite places to visit.

Thanks for the pics. Happy to see you could go in with the littles. It said 4 is minimum age when I booked, but I booked anyway (will have my 4 and 2 yo). Did they give you any trouble?

No trouble at all. We read the same thing, but the people we were traveling with had rented a cabana last Oct with their then 16 mo old w/o any issues.

Those tour descriptions and limits tend to be very poorly worded.

It looks to me like they used boilerplate age info from some of the other tours offered, even though Cabanas are rented “one per group of up to 6”

On the bus to Disney, there ware no tickets or charges for under age 4 (they sat on laps). It was the same for at least one other tour, so I think they just weren’t careful when they wrote the description.

They gave our tall almost 4 yr old a wrist band, but not our 16 mo old or our friends’ almost 2 yr old. (We had separate, side-by-side cabanas.)

Don’t know for sure, but maybe their intent is just to not count under age 4 in the 6 person capacity limit.

The bungalows are an IDEAL arrangement with toddlers & preschoolers. No reason I can see to logically exclude them. The location is NOT a quiet, adult area.

Jane

The bathrooms are a little bit of a walk on uneven sand from the cabanas to get to. It also sounds like the bungalows have a much better lunch menu!

Well, older DD will be using the beach wheelchair on the sand, so maybe they'll let me use it to bring her to the bathroom. How I'll fare, I'm not sure

Younger DD has celiac, so I'm hoping the upgraded lunch will have more options for her.