Celebrity Summit Review- 7/15-7/22

Marleycruiser

Just returned from the Celebrity Summit cruise to Bermuda and had a good time. It was myself and wife in one room, and my brother in law and his wife/child (17) in another room. While I won't do a full review, I will give you some thoughts on our trip as I always thoroughly enjoyed when others reported back. If you have any specific questions, I will be more than happy to answer. Here is my take:

Positives

Pier Check In - As usual, pier check in was an absolute breeze and we were on the sip within 15 minutes of going through security and checking in for our SeaPass cards.

Suite Experience - We have mixed thoughts about doing a suite again but there are really nice perks by being in a suite such as, express check in/check out (which was a huge bonus when getting back to NJ), Michael's Club (always nice to just get away from the masses), and Luminae were definitely a highlight of our cruise where the food and service were top notch.

Michael's Club Staff- Anastasia and the other bartender from Eastern Europe were top notch. Anastasia was a huge upgrade from the previous host we had on the same sailing/ship nearly a year ago. Anastasia was engaging, helpful, and it was the little things that really made her shine. An example of this would be when we first got on the ship and how she took the time to set us up with internet. Another example is how we chartered a boat in Bermuda to go Marlin Fishing and reached out to Bermuda while on the ship to make sure things all went smoothly. The other bartender was FANTASTIC, remembered our name and our drink order by day 2. Truly remarkable.

Luminae Host- He is from Eastern Europe and was absolutely fantastic. He led by example, ensured things went smooth for the dining room, and when things got busy, you saw him clearing plates and a true team player.

Service - I would say the service overall was fantastic. This is a smaller ship (one of the smallest we have ever sailed on), but there is a certain vibe of the crew that make this work. Practically everyone on the ship always greets you with a smile and this is one of the few ships that you actually feel like the workers are actually happy.

Food: The food in the buffet was great. There was a great amount of variety and always something to please everyone. I also think the grill in the stern of the ship on deck 10 was AMAZING. You can have a cooked to order steak, pork chop, or salmon cooked ot order and then eat it 20 feet away while watching the wake of the ship with a drink in hand.

Martini Bar - This was a huge hit on the ship this year and last year. Poput is a great bartender, who not only makes great drinks, but gets to know his clientale. By day 2 he had our drink orders ready, and was just a great pre and post dinner bar to have a cocktail.

Bermuda: We love Bermuda and have done it now 4X. We decided to go to Elbow Beach and it was nothing short of breath taking. We really loved the fact there were absolutely no crowds (contrary to Horshoe Bay). We loved the fact the ship docked here for 2.5 days.

Ship Design: I never really felt crammed on the ship and we thought the Summit really handles traffic well. We spoke to multiple people who were on the NCL Escape and all had very nasty things to say about their cruise. Most of the issues all dealt with the fact there were too many people. I was on the NCL Breakway a few years ago, and it was by far the worst cruise ship we have ever been on, but not because of too many people, but because of poor ship design. We have been on the Oasis and Allure of the Seas and there are far more people that are on these ships, and never once did it feel crowded. The NCL Escape/Breakaway are terrible in design and I will not sail them unless I am in the Heavan.

Negatives

Wine Selection - We had the UBP and were really dissapointed with the wine selection this cruise. There were only two red wines (yes I counted) that we were able to select that were either in stock or within our $15 per glass alottment.

Sommelier in Luminae - Or shall I say experienced waitor. This individual is not a sommelier but claimed to be one. Last year we had Maggy, who was an absolute delight and a highlight of our cruise. She always paired our meal, made helpful selections which expanded our pallets, and was nothing short of fantastic. This go around, our sommelier was not well trained, asked if we wanted red or white, and was nothing more than a waitor. We did not make mention of it to anyone as we just went with the flow but we believe Celebrity's cut back in wine selection coupled with little to no training is the result we obtained.

Butler - We never met our Butler until day 5 of the cruise (yes day 5). She was absolutely the worst Butler (Tatyana) we have ever experienced on any cruise line. My wife met her while entering the room and she introduced herself to her while I was in the shower. About 30 minutes later, we were having a drink in Michaels when my wife told me that was our butler. Thinking she owuld introduce herself, she never did until the night before we arrived in NJ and her asking me how it is important she gets a 10 for service and to please fill out the survey. I responded with, "Do you really want me to fill out that survery card?" I think she realized I wasn't quite happy, she smiled and walked away. Our Room Steward on the other hand, was fantastic (Fransico). We really don't ask for much, other than ice around 6PM. The second night there was no ice, and I saw Fransico who said he told Tatyana but then said "I will take care of it myself." I tipped him early on in the cruise, and after the cruise as he was great. Tatyana on the other hand was horrendous.

Understaffed - Last year we saw multiple people roaming the decks asking for drink orders etc. This year it was a complete ghost town. We would see one of the bartenders rotate and make 3 rounds per day with their drink cart and that was it. We know this because we sat near the bar. I guess with all the drink packages bought, there is little incentive for the cruise line to push more product on patrons which have already paid.

Deck Police (Or lack there of) - Chair hogs were in full swing and Celebrity really needs to do a better at montioring this. In the solarium there were guests that would leave personal belongings for hours at a time without any reprucssions. Others we saw take multiple seats in the solorium and then take a second set of seats in the sun out on the pool deck. Given there was no deck enforcement, there did this multiple days.

Ship Condition - While in most public areas the ship looked fine, she is looking very tired. There was rust all throughout our balcony, on the outside of the ship, and in our bathroom there was a mold issue. In the buffet area there were chairs which should have been thrown away, and the bedding/mattresses have seen better days. She is up for refurbishment in March of 2019 where she will undergo a major renovation. I spoke with the captain about this and he said they were going to add at close to 50 suites and redo Michaels and Luminae.

In conclusion, we had a good time on the Celebrity Summit. While not as good as last year, we thought it was a solid 7 out of 10 stars. We think we will take a break from the Summit as the value for us simple isn't there. We were charged a 5 star price with our Suite while receiving 3.5 star service. If there was another ship (Solstice Class) that would come to Bermuda, I would give it a shot for the sheer reason we love BErmuda and enjoy Celebrity, unfortunately, the Captain confirm the Summit will not be going anywhere until at least 2020.

Hope this helps, as I tried to give an honest review of the Summit.

We're heading out on Aug. 5, so a couple of questions:

Did you do Elbow Beach on your own? Was there a charge, and were their chairs and umbrellas available?

We have stayed at Elbow Beach and loved it, but we have never gone to the beach for the day while on a cruise.

How was the music entertainment around the ship?

Ken

Did Elbow Beach on our own and it was pricey.

Cab to Elbow Beach was 60 with tip (the guy at the pier told us it would be 40).

Once there, we went to Elbow Beach Hotel (look for Navy blue umbrella's) and rented two chairs and an umbrella for $100. The place itself is really nice, clean, and there were very few people there. To us, it was worth it as they had both indoor and outdoor showers.One thing to note, is they made everyone buy a chair (so in my brother in laws instance he had to spend $150).

We then had lunch and for the 5 of us came out to mid $200's for a sandwich and a drink.

On the way back to the ship, we went to the center of town where the cab ride was only $20 + a ferry ride ticket back to the ship. We calculated it to be slightly cheaper but we had to wait for the ferry to arrive, offload, and onload.

Ship entertainment/music was not good. There was no calypso music near the pool and I wish Celebrity stepped up their game on entertainment in general which was lacking. The flip side to that argument is there was only one shipwide announcement per day compared to other cruise lines that are constantly trying to push Bingo etc...

Thanks! I'm not surprised that it is pricey. In season rooms are 750 - 850 and up for higher categories.

We usually rent scooters, so would not have the cab cost.

Were you in a Sky Suite? Which one?

Sorry the entertainment was not too good. Celebrity's pool area music is too often just an exceptionally loud mess, but we have been fortunate to have some pretty good duos and small groups.

Thanks for your help.

Just returned from the Celebrity Summit cruise to Bermuda and had a good time. It was myself and wife in one room, and my brother in law and his wife/child (17) in another room. While I won't do a full review, I will give you some thoughts on our trip as I always thoroughly enjoyed when others reported back. If you have any specific questions, I will be more than happy to answer. Here is my take:

Positives

Pier Check In - As usual, pier check in was an absolute breeze and we were on the sip within 15 minutes of going through security and checking in for our SeaPass cards.

Suite Experience - We have mixed thoughts about doing a suite again but there are really nice perks by being in a suite such as, express check in/check out (which was a huge bonus when getting back to NJ), Michael's Club (always nice to just get away from the masses), and Luminae were definitely a highlight of our cruise where the food and service were top notch.

Michael's Club Staff- Anastasia and the other bartender from Eastern Europe were top notch. Anastasia was a huge upgrade from the previous host we had on the same sailing/ship nearly a year ago. Anastasia was engaging, helpful, and it was the little things that really made her shine. An example of this would be when we first got on the ship and how she took the time to set us up with internet. Another example is how we chartered a boat in Bermuda to go Marlin Fishing and reached out to Bermuda while on the ship to make sure things all went smoothly. The other bartender was FANTASTIC, remembered our name and our drink order by day 2. Truly remarkable.

Luminae Host- He is from Eastern Europe and was absolutely fantastic. He led by example, ensured things went smooth for the dining room, and when things got busy, you saw him clearing plates and a true team player.

Service - I would say the service overall was fantastic. This is a smaller ship (one of the smallest we have ever sailed on), but there is a certain vibe of the crew that make this work. Practically everyone on the ship always greets you with a smile and this is one of the few ships that you actually feel like the workers are actually happy.

Food: The food in the buffet was great. There was a great amount of variety and always something to please everyone. I also think the grill in the stern of the ship on deck 10 was AMAZING. You can have a cooked to order steak, pork chop, or salmon cooked ot order and then eat it 20 feet away while watching the wake of the ship with a drink in hand.

Martini Bar - This was a huge hit on the ship this year and last year. Poput is a great bartender, who not only makes great drinks, but gets to know his clientale. By day 2 he had our drink orders ready, and was just a great pre and post dinner bar to have a cocktail.

Bermuda: We love Bermuda and have done it now 4X. We decided to go to Elbow Beach and it was nothing short of breath taking. We really loved the fact there were absolutely no crowds (contrary to Horshoe Bay). We loved the fact the ship docked here for 2.5 days.

Ship Design: I never really felt crammed on the ship and we thought the Summit really handles traffic well. We spoke to multiple people who were on the NCL Escape and all had very nasty things to say about their cruise. Most of the issues all dealt with the fact there were too many people. I was on the NCL Breakway a few years ago, and it was by far the worst cruise ship we have ever been on, but not because of too many people, but because of poor ship design. We have been on the Oasis and Allure of the Seas and there are far more people that are on these ships, and never once did it feel crowded. The NCL Escape/Breakaway are terrible in design and I will not sail them unless I am in the Heavan.

Negatives

Wine Selection - We had the UBP and were really dissapointed with the wine selection this cruise. There were only two red wines (yes I counted) that we were able to select that were either in stock or within our $15 per glass alottment.

Sommelier in Luminae - Or shall I say experienced waitor. This individual is not a sommelier but claimed to be one. Last year we had Maggy, who was an absolute delight and a highlight of our cruise. She always paired our meal, made helpful selections which expanded our pallets, and was nothing short of fantastic. This go around, our sommelier was not well trained, asked if we wanted red or white, and was nothing more than a waitor. We did not make mention of it to anyone as we just went with the flow but we believe Celebrity's cut back in wine selection coupled with little to no training is the result we obtained.

Butler - We never met our Butler until day 5 of the cruise (yes day 5). She was absolutely the worst Butler (Tatyana) we have ever experienced on any cruise line. My wife met her while entering the room and she introduced herself to her while I was in the shower. About 30 minutes later, we were having a drink in Michaels when my wife told me that was our butler. Thinking she owuld introduce herself, she never did until the night before we arrived in NJ and her asking me how it is important she gets a 10 for service and to please fill out the survey. I responded with, "Do you really want me to fill out that survery card?" I think she realized I wasn't quite happy, she smiled and walked away. Our Room Steward on the other hand, was fantastic (Fransico). We really don't ask for much, other than ice around 6PM. The second night there was no ice, and I saw Fransico who said he told Tatyana but then said "I will take care of it myself." I tipped him early on in the cruise, and after the cruise as he was great. Tatyana on the other hand was horrendous.

Understaffed - Last year we saw multiple people roaming the decks asking for drink orders etc. This year it was a complete ghost town. We would see one of the bartenders rotate and make 3 rounds per day with their drink cart and that was it. We know this because we sat near the bar. I guess with all the drink packages bought, there is little incentive for the cruise line to push more product on patrons which have already paid.

Deck Police (Or lack there of) - Chair hogs were in full swing and Celebrity really needs to do a better at montioring this. In the solarium there were guests that would leave personal belongings for hours at a time without any reprucssions. Others we saw take multiple seats in the solorium and then take a second set of seats in the sun out on the pool deck. Given there was no deck enforcement, there did this multiple days.

Ship Condition - While in most public areas the ship looked fine, she is looking very tired. There was rust all throughout our balcony, on the outside of the ship, and in our bathroom there was a mold issue. In the buffet area there were chairs which should have been thrown away, and the bedding/mattresses have seen better days. She is up for refurbishment in March of 2019 where she will undergo a major renovation. I spoke with the captain about this and he said they were going to add at close to 50 suites and redo Michaels and Luminae.

In conclusion, we had a good time on the Celebrity Summit. While not as good as last year, we thought it was a solid 7 out of 10 stars. We think we will take a break from the Summit as the value for us simple isn't there. We were charged a 5 star price with our Suite while receiving 3.5 star service. If there was another ship (Solstice Class) that would come to Bermuda, I would give it a shot for the sheer reason we love BErmuda and enjoy Celebrity, unfortunately, the Captain confirm the Summit will not be going anywhere until at least 2020.

Thanks for the great information. We are sailing on the Summit Sept,23 and are in a SS what cabin did you have with the terrible butler, we are in 6119.

Joe

Handicap accesible. I absolutely loved the cabin location as it is one floor below the buffet/bar.

Many are concerned with common space above, but we heard no noise as the cabin is located above the ping pong table/smoker section.

Hope that helps.

Handicap accesible. I absolutely loved the cabin location as it is one floor below the buffet/bar.

Many are concerned with common space above, but we heard no noise as the cabin is located above the ping pong table/smoker section.

Hope that helps.

It does, thanks.

One last question, I hope.

If you drove to Port, how was the parking situation?

Thanks for the review. But I am very disappointed about the butler because we are booked in the wheelchair accessible suite next door. :eek: Do you know if there is any chance that she did not have that suite too? I know there is a cut off of cabins where one butler serves and the next one takes over. If not, I'm hoping that her contract will be up by the time of our cruise. :evilsmile:

While I knew from the deck plans that the cabin was below the ping pong tables, I didn't realize that smoking was allowed up there. Did you smell any smoke on your balcony or in your room?

Could you please tell me more about Elbow beach? Was there any beach wheelchairs there or a boardwalk out to the water and/or down the beach?

Also, did Luminae serve lunch on Bermuda departure day (Friday)? And by any chance do you have copies of the dailies?

Thanks for the review. But I am very disappointed about the butler because we are booked in the wheelchair accessible suite next door. :eek: Do you know if there is any chance that she did not have that suite too? I know there is a cut off of cabins where one butler serves and the next one takes over. If not, I'm hoping that her contract will be up by the time of our cruise. :evilsmile:

While I knew from the deck plans that the cabin was below the ping pong tables, I didn't realize that smoking was allowed up there. Did you smell any smoke on your balcony or in your room?

Could you please tell me more about Elbow beach? Was there any beach wheelchairs there or a boardwalk out to the water and/or down the beach?

Also, did Luminae serve lunch on Bermuda departure day (Friday)? And by any chance do you have copies of the dailies?

She did have that suite and I have no idea when her contract is up.

Like I said, she only came around for an additional tip and a 10 rating reminder.

We were in the room next door last year and absolutely loved it. Honestly, I would not sweat the Butler, as I find it a waste. We had canapes last year but none this year (not sure if this was a Celebrity cut back or if it was due to a terrible butler). If she had been good, I would have asked for a shoe shine (in addition to the ice) and she would have gotten a nice tip, but instead she got nothing more than the tips alotted by Celebrity.

With regards to Ping Pong, never heard anything from above (now two years in a row), and never smelled smoke EVER. My wife has a big allergy to smoke and she is quite sensitive. The fact there is no smoking in the cabins is a huge plus.

There was no lunch in Luminae on Friday (day we left Bermuda), and no wheelchairs at Elbow Beach Club (although they could have had them hidden), but definitely no boardwalk leading to the beach, only parallel to the resort.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Positives

Negatives

Hello - thanks for the review. Do you have any recommendations on servers in Luminae (or ones to avoid)? I am really sorry to hear about the sommelier (and the lack of wine selection). I always enjoy good banter with a knowledgeable sommelier. Also, did you get a chance to visit the new bar (Infusions)? And as a previous poster asked, any comments on parking at the port (assuming you parked there)? Thank you again.

OP,

Thanks for the review. You addressed one of my concerns, the ships condition.

We usually rent scooters, so would not have the cab cost.

Where near the dock can you rent these? What is needed to rent them?

Let me see if I can answer some of the questions posed:

1) Parking was an absolute breeze at Cape Liberty. We drove up around 1030/11AM, dropped our bags off and parked in the parking lot across from where the ship is (not in the parking deck) which we really enjoyed when leaving the ship (it was a complete breeze).

2) No server recommendations, as our server was great. Did not hear or see any complaints either.

Thanks

Thanks Marleycruiser, for the info. So relieved about the smoking being a non-issue. The butler is of concern to us because the butler handles the room service, which we use several times a cruise. There are other things that the butler handles too. So if we are stuck with the butler on your cruise, we may be having a talk with the suite manager. I'm still hoping her contract runs out before our cruise! :D

Horseshoe Beach has a beach wheelchair but I was hoping since you used Elbow Beach, there would be some accommodation or access for disabled guests. I guess we'll have to stick with Horseshoe Beach.

For the posters concerned about which butler you get, Judas is excellent! He and the suite manager, Priscilla seem to work closely together and are committed to providing excellent service. We saw him several times daily. So sorry about the poor service the OP received but I appreciate the way you handled the request for an unearned rating!

For the posters concerned about which butler you get, Judas is excellent! He and the suite manager, Priscilla seem to work closely together and are committed to providing excellent service. We saw him several times daily. So sorry about the poor service the OP received but I appreciate the way you handled the request for an unearned rating!

LisaLeone - can you comment on the wine selection. Did you also notice only ‘two’ red wine choices within the Premium Beverage Package? Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

LisaLeone - can you comment on the wine selection. Did you also notice only ‘two’ red wine choices within the Premium Beverage Package? Thank you.

I didn't find it that limited but I prefer whites. There were several nice reds and Alex in Michael's Club worked to get us the wines we liked. As far as Siraz, the sommelier, while we liked him, we prefer Sen Sen, the one we had last year who is currently in Cellar Masters. He took the education part seriously and was quick to offer new ones to try. He definitely expanded our wine horizons!

There were more than two red wines on hand to offer if you had the premium package, the problem was alot of the selection was "sold out" and were not available for consumption because supplies had not been replenished. An example of this was with Caymus, where they did not have the $75 bottle but did have the "special anniversary" $200 bottle (which we politely declined).

There were more than two red wines on hand to offer if you had the premium package, the problem was alot of the selection was "sold out" and were not available for consumption because supplies had not been replenished. An example of this was with Caymus, where they did not have the $75 bottle but did have the "special anniversary" $200 bottle (which we politely declined).

Thanks for the clarification. So one would think that Cellar Masters must have been without supplies as well?! I will hope that they get their supplies prior to our cruise (early August).