Do YOU have your passport yet?

Do you have your passport yet??  

525 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have your passport yet??

• I already have mine.
    • I have applied for mine but don't have it yet.
    • I will apply for mine before the end of the year.
    • I will apply for mine in 2007 or after... whenever I may need it.

I am a procrastinator and I know it....cruise is end of April 2007, I guess I have a few days left to worry about it...I suppose that means I need to find my birth certificate too....?

I have all our birth certificates ready but have not applied yet.. I too keep putting it off but must have it for April 07 sailing... we just use the standard BC and DL currently for boarding..I know we need to get a move on and get it done..

One thing I learned was that you have to SEND IN THE ORIGINAL birth certificate, and I would never mail them in without a back up original one at any point, so I sent off to Ohio for mine, and went to local Health dept for hubby and kids certified copy. Now I have originals to send and a set to have in case they loose them or I need them while waiting for the PP to come.

I got my passport 12 years ago to go to England for a niece's christening. We got one for my husband a year later so we could go visit his family's homeland, Ireland.

We have had to renew ours but it is so much easier to travel with one. The lines for immigration on cruises were far shorter with passports. I can only imagine how long they will be once the new regulations go into effect. But, then based on other posts, many people won't spend the money so they won't cruise, so perhaps the lines won't be as long. (I know those that say they won't cruise, willl still cruise, so I am sure the lines will be longer.)

I guess for all those wanting to try a cruise before they need passports, they had better make their reservations and go soon. If they find they don't like it, then they won't have "wasted their money on passports."

I am wondering how many here have their passports already and how many are waiting until the last minute.

This October will be the last year we sail without passports (to Bermuda). I have an expired one and my husband never has had one, so first thing early next year, we will apply since we plan to cruise in 2007!

We finally decided to break down & get our's. Eventually you are going to need it to cruise & since that's the only time we leave the country we just did it. I would hate to run in to a great deal & not have the passport if needed, because it does take a while to get it once you apply.

We got ours earlier this year. We decided to go ahead and get them early when we disembarked from our cruise last November and saw how much shorter and quicker the passport line was at immigration than the birth certificate line was. We also knew we were going to Mexico twice this year and figured it would just be easier. I think it will take longer to get as the year progresses. We received ours in 3 weeks, 2 days back in March without paying extra to expedite.

Jus remember that everyone who has procrastinated about getting their passports will all be applying at about the same time...making the process go slower making a normal 6 week waiting period into possibally an 8 to 10 week period (there are only so many gov't employees in the state department)

I addition, when it comes tome to renew in 10 years, eveyone will be doing it again.

Just my $.02

I'm waiting until I turn 18 and then I am going to apply. It will be more of a birthday present than anything. Do you have to be 18 when you apply or can you apply before that? Thanks!

Derek

You can get a passport the day you are born, well your parents can get you one. I had a client that got one for her baby when he was just a few months old because they were cruising the south pacific on Silver Seas. I believe a parent or guardian has to sign but you can get one.

You can get a passport the day you are born, well your parents can get you one. I had a client that got one for her baby when he was just a few months old because they were cruising the south pacific on Silver Seas. I believe a parent or guardian has to sign but you can get one.

I was aware that I could get one now. We just figured I would not need it renewed or reissued (not sure of the exact term) as often if I got it after the age of 18. Sorry my question was unclear, but here goes again. Can I apply for a passport that says I am 18 before I am 18. Hopefully that makes sense. :p Thanks for your info Nitra!

Derek

AFAIK (and I'm canadian, but i've read this on the boards, so don't take this 100%), your US passport lasts for 5 years until the age of 16, and then any passport obtained after that lasts for 10 years from the date it's issued. It doesn't matter when your birthday is or what your age is when you apply (provided you're 16+)

AFAIK (and I'm canadian, but i've read this on the boards, so don't take this 100%), your US passport lasts for 5 years until the age of 16, and then any passport obtained after that lasts for 10 years.

I'm a dual citizen (Canadian/American) and it still ticks me off that my Canadian passport only lasts 5-years! Wish they would get on track and change that. Could you pass a word along to Mr. Harper?

BTW --- I was very active in the Tory party for many years. Our paths probably crossed in Ottawa at one time or another.

I got mine in 1995. I've had it renewed in 2005. Wife and kids got theres in 1999. Having passports have come in handy for last minute type stuff that may involve taking a trip out of the country. My daughter has done that a couple of times already.

Tim

I was aware that I could get one now. We just figured I would not need it renewed or reissued (not sure of the exact term) as often if I got it after the age of 18. Sorry my question was unclear, but here goes again. Can I apply for a passport that says I am 18 before I am 18. Hopefully that makes sense. :p Thanks for your info Nitra!

Derek

one of the best ways to get the facts straight (not that CC members don't have the answers) is to go to the source.

For passparts go to www.travel.state.gov (you can also type all the info into an application and print it out so there is less of a chance of errors).

another good reason to have one is that if you want to get a job out of the country, or go to semester at sea, you have it already and don't have to stress. :D

Archived