Mexico: don't drink the water-fact or fiction?

constructiondude

FACT...let me reiterate...FACT!!! When we go down to Mexico to stay the weekend we bring bottles of water not just to drink but also to brush our teeth with. When we go there we generally eat shrimp or fish tacos, nothing with lettuce only cabbage and it is ok. Washing your hands is ok as is showering, but we also bring hand cleansers with us too. I have too many friends that learned the hard way that drinking the water in Mexico is a very bad thing!!!

I expect it depends on your location in Mexico. I understand the drinking water in most popular tourist areas is generally safe, but in the more remote areas it may be less dependable.

We have traveled often to Cozumel and sometimes to Cancun and never had a problem. We were sick one time many years ago in Acapulco and would not drink the water in any outlying area. I also understand that many large resorts treat their own water...can't say for sure.

I've never had a definitive answer about the ice in alcoholic drinks....does the booze kill the bugs?...don't know.

It really depends on where you are going. If you are going to a resort area, the hotels have purified water, it is completely safe to wash with, brush your teeth, drink etc. BUT if you go away from the resort area always ask for bottled water to drink. Everywhere I have been in MX has had completely safe water.

But when in dought, don't! Don't forget ice is made from the water as well. But swimming pools? Never drink the water no matter what country you are in.:)

It all depends. Much of the concern is, in fact, old prejudices and anecdotal nonsense. We live in Puerto Vallarta and have for some years. We drink the tap water, rinse our veggies, and wash our hands, with soap of course. In other words we behave exactly as we did in California. The water in PV has been tested to be cleaner and purer than many USA destinations. Having said that, there are still many people here who buy into the old cliches. Now, there are places in inland Mexico where I would not take a chance. If you see a large black cistern on a roof, proceed with extreme caution.

Took a cruise to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. Before disembarking talk, cruise director advised against drinking water, but also to remember not to eat anything fresh. Lettuce, fruit or anything grown in the ground, as their water is used to grow these things. We stayed in Puerto Vallarta for 5 days at the end of the cruise, and followed this advice. Although the fresh fruit on the breakfast buffet was hard to resist, we did not get Montezuma's revenge. We were in a 4 star hotel, but when we turned on the shower, the water was brown. Didn't want to shower in it or wash our hair. We did swim in the pool and go to the jacuzzi because the water there looked cleaner and you could smell the chlorine. I have not been back to Mexico!:eek:

Bottlenose Dolphins - like those in Mexico - and just about every other species of Dolphin - would die if they were placed in fresh water.

It's pretty safe to bet that you will be with them in Salt Water.

I don't know about that, Sir! There aren't that many dolphins in the Great Salt Pond in Sint Maarten. Those freshwater dolphins prefer their water sweetened, like their ice tea;)

I have to climb on my dolphin box and encourage the constructiondude to consider not doing the dolphin thing. It's simply not good for them and bad business, in my book to take a wild mamal or animal and use it for our personal enjoyment. And it takes time away from the beer. :)

In three trips to Mexico I've had MANY margaritas and pina coladas - both at a resort area and away from a resort at a bar on a public beach. Never had a problem. I figure the alcohol must be killing any nasty bacteria. Eating too many desserts while on the cruise ship is always a greater hazard for me :)

I have been spending the last few weeks reading up on travel medicine -- been to the travel doctor in preparation for our South American adventure and have been provided with much literature. From the literature it states that the majority of the cases of typhoid caught by US citizens is from travel to Mexico -- though I completely understand that it depends where you travel.

Many years ago we went to Cancun (when there were only a few resorts there -- they had a BRAND NEW sanitation system in place) -- we drank only the "bottled water" provided in our hotel room and elsewhere -- took "all the precautions" -- before we left we discovered that the in room bottles were refilled daily from the tap by housekeeping and we witnessed the ice produced from the ice machine in our corridor (we could hear that machine feeding off of the tap water) being carried toward the kitchen for use in our beverages, etc. They told us the whole trip that the ice was prepared with bottled water. We did not get sick.

People that we travelled with went into town and ate at some older restaurants in town -- they got sick.

Traveller beware. Only you can decide what risks to take -- I suggest that you do your own research.

I wouldn't worry if you are on the gulf side/Cozumel and Cancun. On the pacific side I really don't know. I do know we got really sick in Mazatlan several years ago. Hopefully things have changed but I wouldn't take any chances. As for swimming with the Dolphins, have fun, don't worry, if it wasn't safe they would offer a tour. It wouldn't take long for the complaints to start coming in. NMNita

It's a FACT!!!!!! I, unfortunately, swallowed some pool water at Las Hadas (hotel where 10 was filmed) or maybe it was the lobster bisque at dinner the night before--and became violently ill. After that, I am VERY careful in Mexico. If you go to a have food and drinks at a nice resort you should be OK. BUT small eateries can be iffy....

After my experience, when in Mexican ports, I have a Coke--in a can with a straw--that's it. It drives my DH nuts, but NEVER, EVER again!!!!!!!!!

We have always followed instructions in all countries over the world and have never gotten sick.

Except for our one experience in Mexico we too have never had problems. Whenever we go to Cozumel we head to Poncho's. We always start with a Margarita and not once have we had any problems. I think the secret is where you choose to eat and drink. NMnita

AHMAHGAWD!

I have NEVER had a problem with eating FRESH VEGGIES or DRINKING THE WATER or drinks with ICE in them in Mexico NOT EVER!!!! I've done this in Cabo, PV, Mazatlan, Acapulco, and Zihua. FINE FINE FINE!!!!!! I would NEVER miss an opportunity to have an amazing meal in these ports!

The only time I ever had a minor problem was after snorkeling in Acapulco Bay and inevitably swallowing some bay water (which is HORRID.)

Listen to pvlover - they LIVE THERE.

You should be fine swiming with the dolphins in Cabo - it's a GORGEOUS, NEW facility!

You know what??? Having grown up in Southern California during the 70's -80's; I've frequented Mexico since I was a teen - never a problem, UNTIL the one time it was - the drinks (no ice) in Acalpulco, I'm sure...

Never say never - you can never be too certain, imo. That kind of illness can ruin an entire vacation, so regardless that some folks say they've NEVER gotten sick - I never did either, until...

Just use a bit of caution/common sense. :)

From the US State Department consular information sheet on Mexico

In many areas in Mexico, tap water is unsafe and should be avoided. Bottled water and beverages are safe; although visitors should be aware that many restaurants and hotels serve tap water unless bottled water is specifically requested. Ice may also come from tap water and should be considered unsafe. Visitors should exercise caution when buying food or beverages from street vendors.
Sanitation standards in Mexico are not the same as in the US, period. It is probably better now than 10 or 20 years ago. But, tourists still run a risk of gastrointestinal problems if they consume local water.

From Go2Vallarta.com

Seapal, the local water authority, has made major contributions to the New Face of Vallarta, by providing its residents with water certified clean for human consumption. This maintenance of water quality has no doubt made a significant contribution to the more than 70% reduction in the incidence of gastronomic illness citywide.
Again, not as bad as it was. But, are you willing to take a chance on your vacation?

Which brings me to my point. It is your vacation and you have to decide if a salad, glass of water, etc. is worth the risk.

Charlie

The water in PV is potable and safe. We have never had a problem there and actually own a condo there. We actually have never had a problem at any of the Mexican towns/resorts we have visited. We do try to make certain we eat/drink at places that look like they are frequently visited. But since they depend so much on tourism, I do not feel uncomfortable having a margarita, etc. You will miss out on a lot of wonderful food and drinks. The typical stops on a Mexican Rivera cruise are large ports/cities. If you were going into inland Mexico, into a small town, yes, I would definately drink bottled water. Of course, the beer is the best!

We ate the buffet at the Camino Real Hotel, the best hotel in town, in Oaxaca last year and were sick for 4 days. The ex-pats we met laughed and told us that everyone they knew that ate the buffet got sick. We like Mexico but have even been sick sometimes even when taking extreme precautions. The exception was PV where we had lunch with a friend who lives there and he told us the water was pretty much safe there. I wouldn't bet on it anywhere else. Bottled water with the seal intact and beer. No ice. No salads. Alcohol does no good killing germs in ice. My husband went down to Mexico on business one time and ate not one thing the day and half he was there because he did not want to get sick. He was very susceptible. Some are more than others.

Archived