Now I am a little scared, any truth to this????

Just found this posted on Carnivalconnections.com: Any truth to this allegation???? I am now a little nervous about booking. Can anyone confirm this or have any proof to rebut? Thanks!:eek:

Date Posted: 05-10-2007, 8:17 PMbed bugs Ship: Carnival Triumph | Sail Date: 04/28/2007 | Destination: > Western Caribbean

a warning to all, be carefull when you sleep because you will awake to bites caused by bed bugs. this was confirmed by the ships nurse when my partner went to see her for bites that she would awake to in the morning. if you have any questions on this please contact me at turksld@yahoo.com

All the cruise lines, hotels and resorts can have these problems. Is it something you should actively "worry about"? No.

All these years and all these cruises and not a bed bug in sight. Of course, it can happen....but not likely.

Just found this posted on Carnivalconnections.com: Any truth to this allegation???? I am now a little nervous about booking. Can anyone confirm this or have any proof to rebut? Thanks!:eek:

Date Posted: 05-10-2007' date=' 8:17 PM[b']bed bugs[/b] Ship: Carnival Triumph | Sail Date: 04/28/2007 | Destination: > Western Caribbean

a warning to all, be carefull when you sleep because you will awake to bites caused by bed bugs. this was confirmed by the ships nurse when my partner went to see her for bites that she would awake to in the morning. if you have any questions on this please contact me at turksld@yahoo.com

Yuck!! I hope it's not true but I can see how it could be. Thousands of people go through the ships every year, it is possible that those bloodsuckers came in with someone or their luggage. I wouldn't worry about it, I've been on two cruises so far and nothing like this has happened to me nor have I heard of any such thing. If it bothers you that much check for them when you get to your cabin or just not go.

You guys are right. I will try not to worry about this too much. My DH works for a chemical company and has a side job as an exterminator and is always worried about these things. I always hear him talking about bed bugs to some of his clients and says it is very hard to get rid of them and that they get into everything, places you would not believe. If you bring them home with you, you will have to spend a lot of money and effort to get rid of them and then the thought of something crawling on you and sucking your blood while you sleep - GROSS!!!!! When we came home from our last cruise, we had to go to a laundromat and wash our clothes in hot water and he vacuumed out our suitcases at a nearby gas station just in case. :eek:

I'd be more concerned with Mystery Stains. You can see bed bugs in the bed if you look close. Also there may be blood spots on the bedding as bed bugs are blood consuming. I know some folks had bites that resembled bed bug or chigger bites that actually came from sand fleas from the beach.

I'd be more concerned with Mystery Stains. You can see bed bugs in the bed if you look close. Also there may be blood spots on the bedding as bed bugs are blood consuming. I know some folks had bites that resembled bed bug or chigger bites that actually came from sand fleas from the beach.

Yep, we got some of those bites on West End beach in Roatan last month.

(But not enough to be uncomfortable)

These type of warnings pop up on EVERY cruiseline board every so often. You get one person who claims bed bugs, then the threads run rampant for some time. Then they disappear again.

Bed bugs can be ANYWHERE.

And with all of the hotels we stay at throughout the year and all of the cruises, I have yet to run into any bed bugs.

Well, given that this happened at end of April, and the ship's been sailing every week since then, I think if it were a significant ongoing problem, we'd have heard a ton about it from disgruntled passengers by now...

:o

Bed bugs are an issue anywhere there's a bed. A friend in the industry (the bug-killing one) claims that bed-bug problems have really increased over the last few years. Much like the noro-virus, you're more likely to pick these bad-boys up at a hotel or resort then you are on a cruise ship. With all the health inspections a cruise ship must go through, the fact that sanitary consideration are an order of magnitude better than most hotels, and the fact that the ship is likely to have the means to deal with the issue right on-board, I'd be more worried about getting bedbug at the hotel the night before your cruise then on it!

That said, I've spent at least a month and 1/2 last year in hotels of all grades and on cruise ships and I've never been bitten!

I suggest you do a search here on CC, and not just on carnival. There has been some really good info about the detecting, avoiding, and treating bedbugs. Like Noro, this is not a cruiseship problem, it is a travel industry problem. The hotel rooms and ship stateroom that have infestation are not dirty, they just had someone stay in them that brought the little boogers in with their luggage. Do the search, be informed, and worry not!:)

bed bugs don't like HOT steam. If you are really afraid of this I have seen a lot of suggestions of taking hot steam instead of the forbidden irons use it on the bed and things as well as your clothing.

Date Posted: 05-10-2007' date=' 8:17 PM[b']bed bugs[/b] Ship: Carnival Triumph | Sail Date: 04/28/2007 | Destination: > Western Caribbean

I have heard that they are more common on airplanes.. but i dont know if its true

I'm not a veteran cruiser, but I've been on four and never had this problem. So, with all the feed back that you've received here and you're still a little "buggy" (LOL) over the situation, purchase a fitted plastic sheet or a zippered one (a little more expensive) to take with you and cover the mattress with it. A lot of people who have allergies (like me) use them for dust mites but they work for bed bugs too.

I took a plastic fitted sheet on my past cruise, not for bed bugs but for an occasional bed wetter. We put it on the first night ... the room steward never removed it. And, since it was only $4.87 (I may be off by a $1) from our local Wal-mart, I didn't bother packing it to take home.

What ever you decide to do .. just make sure you have a great trip! Cruising is awesome!!!!! :)

Yes, my DH has actually said that they can hide in doorjambs and although they are called "bed bugs", they can go everywhere. Yuck, I cannot stop itching now. I just do not want them on me nor do I wnat to bring them home with me. It makes sense what all of you have said here. I was just thinking that maybe it was a bad problem with this particular ship. What can you do though except to be extremely careful, cautious and alert, right? I am going to just go and be on the alert and enjoy my cruise! I know hubby will be inspecting everything!!! LOL! Thanks everyone. :)

I'm not sure if a fitted plastic sheet would protect you from bedbugs, as I have read that they like to hang out behind the headboard. Any experts know for sure?

Vinyl Dustproof Mattress Cover - Plastic Waterproof Mattress Covers - Hypoallergenic Pillow Covers

Vinyl (Plastic) Mattress Covers

Total Mattress Encasement

Allergy Protection and Dust Mite Proof

Protects against spill's and liquids.

Available in fitted and zippered styles

Available in 2 depths 9" for standard mattresses and Deep zippered for mattresses up to 15"

Use these vinyl mattress covers to protect against bedwetting, dust and dust mites.

Great for storing and moving mattresses

Use zippered mattress covers on your mattress and boxspring to protect against bed bugs.

5 Gauge vinyl

I got this from ... http://www.bedbathstore.com/vinzipmatcov.html

Hopefully this is expert enough ... LOL!!! :)

Oh man, why did I open this thread, I just knew it would bother me. I just will never learn.

I am so itchy right now.

Believe it or not; on every cruise I ask DH to check the beds thoroughly before we put away our clothes on board. We even check the hotel room.

Paranoid, no just cautious. Look around, people are not very clean. I can't stand it when I go to the ladies room and some people do not wash their hands and then open the door with their soiled hands. UUGHH!!

Archived