Possible Bed bugs on Ecstasy! Dec 10-15, 07

ttownhawk

Just got off of the Ecstasy and I just wanted to let others know that there are bed bugs on the ecstasy. I will be writing a lengthy review when I return home, but someone needs to be told now!! Pursers desk was rude, infirmary was kind and documented the fact that our bodies were covered in bites, and I even took live bugs with me that we picked off of our bodies as proof. Requested to speak to chief purser several times and it was not until I refused to leave the ship that she finally spoke with us. It is not limited to just one room, we were in E244. My in laws were in E191 and were also ate up with the bug bites. I just pulled a live one off of my Mother in law 5 minutes ago. We heard other people on Empress deck complaining about ichy spots, but they thought they were stung by jelli fish. They will be very unhappy when they get home and take their luggage into their homes with their new little friends. We will be stripping in the garage and unloading the luggage in the garage to be fumigated before we ever enter our homes. We also informed customes, health department and the CDC. Housekeeping just planned on "sterilizing" the room, but having been an exterminater for approx. 16 years I can tell you that this will not solve the problems. I expressed my concerns of the fact that pesticides needed to be used, but they just said there would be a heavy cleaning. They still planned on leaving as scheduled without treating the problem with pesticides. If you were also affected by this problem I would like to hear from you. I have filed a formal complaint, but will not be able to speak with Carnival Corp. customer relations until Monday. If you have read any of my other posts you will see that I was looking forward to having a great time. I'm not one to go looking for problems. A cruise is what you make it, but this was not anticipated. This was my belated honeymoon, and we spent the cruise ichy and uncomfortable. It was also my birthday cruise, what nice gifts they gave me!! Itchy, pus filled bites. My husband has at least 80-100 bites and pulled 3 live bugs from his body just this morning. I have fewer than he does, but still all over. We counted approx. 24 on my Mother in law, and my Father in law has quite a few around his groin area, poor guy. We are all walking around scratching like we have chicken pox.

Just got off of the Ecstasy and I just wanted to let others know that there are bed bugs on the ecstasy. I will be writing a lengthy review when I return home, but someone needs to be told now!! Pursers desk was rude, infirmary was kind and documented the fact that our bodies were covered in bites, and I even took live bugs with me that we picked off of our bodies as proof. Requested to speak to chief purser several times and it was not until I refused to leave the ship that she finally spoke with us. It is not limited to just one room, we were in E244. My in laws were in E191 and were also ate up with the bug bites. I just pulled a live one off of my Mother in law 5 minutes ago. We heard other people on Empress deck complaining about ichy spots, but they thought they were stung by jelli fish. They will be very unhappy when they get home and take their luggage into their homes with their new little friends. We will be stripping in the garage and unloading the luggage in the garage to be fumigated before we ever enter our homes. We also informed customes, health department and the CDC. Housekeeping just planned on "sterilizing" the room, but having been an exterminater for approx. 16 years I can tell you that this will not solve the problems. I expressed my concerns of the fact that pesticides needed to be used, but they just said there would be a heavy cleaning. They still planned on leaving as scheduled without treating the problem with pesticides. If you were also affected by this problem I would like to hear from you. I have filed a formal complaint, but will not be able to speak with Carnival Corp. customer relations until Monday. If you have read any of my other posts you will see that I was looking forward to having a great time. I'm not one to go looking for problems. A cruise is what you make it, but this was not anticipated. This was my belated honeymoon, and we spent the cruise ichy and uncomfortable. It was also my birthday cruise, what nice gifts they gave me!! Itchy, pus filled bites. My husband has at least 80-100 bites and pulled 3 live bugs from his body just this morning. I have fewer than he does, but still all over. We counted approx. 24 on my Mother in law, and my Father in law has quite a few around his groin area, poor guy. We are all walking around scratching like we have chicken pox.

Take lots of photos - you'll find documentation comes in handy.

UGH! Where did you find them? In the mattress?

bedbug7_large.jpg

We found them attached to our skin. They look like little poppy seeds. This picture is highly magnified.bedbug_nymph.jpgThis is a bed bug nymph. It looks like a tiny mole on the skin, somewhat clear, almost zit like in size. This is also highly magnified.

Unfortunately, these little critters have made a come back. With all the global travel from countries who never eradicated them, they are simply hitching a ride.

Sleeptight is a natural product that is being used in warehouses in New York and New Jersey. Thank goodness it does not pollute the ground water or hurt the environment.

I guess folks are going to have to start carrying a travel size. We will just have to add it to the list of things not to leave home without....like duct tape! :eek:

Oh I can't wait to see how the cheerleaders spin this one!

I don't know about "cheerleaders" since I'm basically an RCCL guy not Carnival. What I do know is that I was on that same cruise on Ecstasy, and had friends in a cabin very near their's, and this is the first I've heard of any such problem. Our cabin sure had nothing like that, and no one I talked to on the cruise mentioned anything like that. I'm not saying there wasn't something there, I just wonder if it could have been sand fleas or something else picked up in Cozumel?

I was on the Ecstasy 12/1 - 12/6, on the Empress deck, cabin E257, and my son and his wife were in E251. We never had any problem, nor did we hear of any one else having a problem. My husband got a sore throat and spent 24 hours of our cruise in bed and never got a single bite. I am not sure that this problem was from bed bugs or any thing on the ship. I believe as the last poster suggested that it is more likely it was sand fleas.

I don't know about "cheerleaders" since I'm basically an RCCL guy not Carnival. What I do know is that I was on that same cruise on Ecstasy, and had friends in a cabin very near their's, and this is the first I've heard of any such problem. Our cabin sure had nothing like that, and no one I talked to on the cruise mentioned anything like that. I'm not saying there wasn't something there, I just wonder if it could have been sand fleas or something else picked up in Cozumel?

Did you not read the part about me having been an exterminater and that I have documentation from the nurse on board stating that we were biten by bugs and had the bed bugs with us? Sand fleas don't attach themselves like tiny ticks to your skin, they jump. Not trying to be nasty, just trying to help others understand that I actually know what I am talking about. Mother and Father in law are also nurses.

The good news is that Sleeptight is a fairly easy (the word easy being relative) fix. It has worked well in the warehouses and some hotels in New York (very expensive hotels I might add).

The bad news is getting Carnival to listen. Hopefully they will.

As far as specific cabins....they can be in one and not be in the cabin right next door. Or they can not be there one cabin in this cruise and 2 cruises later..there is an infestation.

To the OP: I appreciate you taking the time to relay the problem to Corporate (complete with pictures). I hope they listen, resolve your issue and eliminate future issues by using the proper product that will do the job!!

The good news is that Sleeptight is a fairly easy (the word easy being relative) fix. It has worked well in the warehouses and some hotels in New York (very expensive hotels I might add).

The bad news is getting Carnival to listen. Hopefully they will.

As far as specific cabins....they can be in one and not be in the cabin right next door. Or they can not be there one cabin in this cruise and 2 cruises later..there is an infestation.

To the OP: I appreciate you taking the time to relay the problem to Corporate (complete with pictures). I hope they listen, resolve your issue and eliminate future issues by using the proper product that will do the job!!

Thank you! Sometimes people just don't want to know the truth. I have the bites and some of the bugs as proof. As well as lots of pictures and a letter from the infirmary. Some people just like to stir the pot and leave people with wrong information. But if one person is helped by this, I've done my job.

Thank you! Sometimes people just don't want to know the truth. I have the bites and some of the bugs as proof. As well as lots of pictures and a letter from the infirmary. Some people just like to stir the pot and leave people with wrong information. But if one person is helped by this, I've done my job.

I'm a little grossed out (maybe a LOT grossed out) and very sorry that this happened to you but being aware and informed is always a good thing, so thank you.

I Thank You as well! Very helpful information. The Bed bug problem has been growing for a few years now, and they are now found in many many many hotels in the U.S. I had wondered when it was going to hit the cruise ships.

I see you do not have a lot of posts here yet, don't let the chearleaders, idjits and know-it-alls jade you or chase you off.

Again, Thank you for your efforts.

After reading your description and searching the internet for a couple of hours, I do not think what you experienced was bed bugs.

I am not sure what it was and whatever it was needs to be taken care of, but I do not believe it was a bed bug problem.

A couple of good sites to read.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/bedbugs/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bedbugsting

I would also like to know what criteria the infirmary staff used to make the identification.

I have often came home with red itchy spots after visiting different ports on a cruise ship.

I think my biggest questions come from the large number of bugs you actually pulled off your body even after getting off the ship.

Keep us updated on the outcome.

I Thank You as well! Very helpful information. The Bed bug problem has been growing for a few years now, and they are now found in many many many hotels in the U.S. I had wondered when it was going to hit the cruise ships.

I see you do not have a lot of posts here yet, don't let the chearleaders, idjits and know-it-alls jade you or chase you off.

Again, Thank you for your efforts.

Thank you, But don't worry, I don't scare easily. Frustrate, yes, but I won't be chased off. I still have the addiction to cruising. I'll just check the cabin better next time.

After reading your description and searching the internet for a couple of hours, I do not think what you experienced was bed bugs.

I am not sure what it was and whatever it was needs to be taken care of, but I do not believe it was a bed bug problem.

I would also like to know what criteria the infirmary staff used to make the identification.

I have often came home with red itchy spots after visiting different ports on a cruise ship.

I think my biggest questions come from the large number of bugs you actually pulled off your body even after getting off the ship.

Nurse used criteria of actually looking at a bug that was actually brought to her. Look at this link.

http://www.uos.harvard.edu/ehs/pes_bedbug.shtml

Scroll down about half way down and look at the magnified picture of a bed bug nymph. This is exactly what we pulled from our skin. They latch on and hang on and since we just got off the ship why wouldn't there still be some attached? They latch on like a tic would. I was licensed for 16 years as an exterminater. Come on people, I'm not just grasping at straws. I actually know what I'm talking about. But to each his own. I for one like to be informed.

I googled it as soon as I read the post and the pictures the OP posted look like the pics I saw on Google. Check it out yourself, you'll be grossly amazed.

I am speechless!!!!!! WOW....... is about all I can type. This is really horrible to say the least.:mad:

It happens. It's also becoming rampant. Just check your bed anytime you are away from home.

Did you not read the part about me having been an exterminater and that I have documentation from the nurse on board stating that we were biten by bugs and had the bed bugs with us? Sand fleas don't attach themselves like tiny ticks to your skin, they jump. Not trying to be nasty, just trying to help others understand that I actually know what I am talking about. Mother and Father in law are also nurses.

How about scanning the documentation and uploading it so we can see it?

This is the second time I have read of Bed Bug infestations aboard cruise ships. They have made a come back in the states.

DH and his brother went back to San Diego last year and unfortunately stayed at a hotel that had extra guests in the rooms. After the first night they asked to have there room changed due to the little devils.

At least I was aware when he came home, so I was able to get some informtion about them prior to his luggage and close being brought inside.

We kept the suite case in a Large Plastic Bag, in the shed for 1 year to kill these little boogers.

I have no doubt what the OP has stated and I hope that you can get CCL to listen.

Thanks for your post.

Nurse used criteria of actually looking at a bug that was actually brought to her. Look at this link.

http://www.uos.harvard.edu/ehs/pes_bedbug.shtml

Scroll down about half way down and look at the magnified picture of a bed bug nymph. This is exactly what we pulled from our skin. They latch on and hang on and since we just got off the ship why wouldn't there still be some attached? They latch on like a tic would. I was licensed for 16 years as an exterminater. Come on people, I'm not just grasping at straws. I actually know what I'm talking about. But to each his own. I for one like to be informed.

Sorry, still don't think it was bed bugs you experienced.

I have 22 years in public health and I have seen my share of bed bugs, so I am not gasping at straws either.

Plus, before you start spreading the tale of bed bugs on Carnival ships, I would consider the liable issue you could be taking on.

I am not saying it could not have been bed bugs as the incidence is on the rise, but Your description just does not fit the known description of being bitten by them.

I'm not sure of your agenda, but I don't believe your statement.

You may have contacted some bugs, but I doubt very seriously if your initial contact was on the Ecstasy.

Too many coincidences for me: 1) Members of your family contacted them yet you were in two different cabins. 2) No one on prior cruises have had any complaint. 3) You just happen to have years experience as an exterminator. 4) You just happen to have photographs. 5) You are the only one complaining.

Perhaps you contacted them somewhere where all of your party were present (much more likely) and you honestly think you contacted them ON the Ecstasy, or again, you have some sort of agenda.

Just my humble opinion.

Archived