Possible Bed bugs on Ecstasy! Dec 10-15, 07

ttownhawk

Why do you feel the need to jump in and attempt to cause trouble.

Bed bugs are a serious issue and to make the accusations that they have been found on a cruise ship would be knowledge that the cruising public needs to know.

Unfortunately, because someone claims to have proof, does not mean they are correct in their claim.

Who hasn't been to ports on a cruise ship and not come back with some kind of strange bite mark? I have them all the time, but have never been caused by bed bugs.

The description the OP is giving simply is not ringing as true for the claim of bed bugs and I for one would really like to know the truth as that is one of the ships I sometimes cruise on.

If it really was bed bugs, I would not be happy with Carnivals response to the problem. But at this point I see no reason not to find their response appropriate.

Me my wife my children.. oh wait ..wait.. I can hear you now. " I'm thinking I'm not really sure you ever took a cruise and further more upon re-reading your post I'm sure you've never cruised before"

ONCE AGAIN, not trying to cause a panic, not trying to say all cabins are infected, just trying to inform to prevent someone else having to go through what we are going thru.

Informing the public is our only agenda.

They are very hard to spot, but look out for the bites. They are very itchy, they are not chiggers. Chiggers burrough under the skin, they are not attached to the outside where you can pick them off.

My actual proffesional title for 16 years was Pest Control Service Technician certified by the state of Okla. a certification that requires testing and recertification every 4 years. So excuse me if I spelled the laymans term EXTERMINATOR incorrectly, geesh, some people. Our room steward knew what they were too, he was afraid of loosing his job, and if he didn't think that they were indeed bed bugs, he wouldn't have been so upset.

We stayed at a hotel Sunday night, took only an overnight bag into the room and left it in our car during the cruise. So I really don't think they could jump from our hotel to our ship, they are not fleas, they don't jump, they crawl. No itchy spots until sleeping in bed in cabin E244.

Why do some people feel that even though bedbugs are making a comeback, have been detected in some very nice hotels, etc...they they can't possibly be on this ship? Of course it can happen and probably does. Shylock has done everything but call the OP a liar, but has not posted anything to back those accusations up. I looked at this thread for along time and wondered about it, but I have to say I think its not only very possible it happened, but it probably did.

I am looking forward to hearing why it is BS...I hope it is, but I tend to think its true.

ONCE AGAIN, not trying to cause a panic, not trying to say all cabins are infected, just trying to inform to prevent someone else having to go through what we are going thru.

Informing the public is our only agenda.

They are very hard to spot, but look out for the bites. They are very itchy, they are not chiggers. Chiggers burrough under the skin, they are not attached to the outside where you can pick them off.

My actual proffesional title for 16 years was Pest Control Service Technician certified by the state of Okla. a certification that requires testing and recertification every 4 years. So excuse me if I spelled the laymans term EXTERMINATOR incorrectly, geesh, some people. Our room steward knew what they were too, he was afraid of loosing his job, and if he didn't think that they were indeed bed bugs, he wouldn't have been so upset.

We stayed at a hotel Sunday night, took only an overnight bag into the room and left it in our car during the cruise. So I really don't think they could jump from our hotel to our ship, they are not fleas, they don't jump, they crawl. No itchy spots until sleeping in bed in cabin E244.

But there is the possibility that they could have been transported on the clothes you put on in the hotel room and wore onto the ship.

Or the people in the cabin before you transported the....but it does not mean it is a ship wide infestation or that it could not happen anywhere and is just contained on the ship.

This can happen anywhere. So the warning should be to ALL travelers not just people going onto that ship.:cool:

While I don't dispute that there may have been something, even bedbugs, I notice two real problems with the OPs original post;

First, as pointed out by many others, there are many other possible sources for the problem, even if they were bedbugs, than the Ecstasy. It's just wrong to just assume they were from the ship when you don't know for sure (it took OP four days to determine they were bug bites).

Second, in the original post, OP said that there must be many others who had the same problem and didn't realize what it was. Not only has no one else said they had a problem, some, like myself, were on that ship and had friends in a room very near the OP, and didn't have any problem. I also talked to many people (a different group at breakfast every morning, incuding Friday), and never heard any complaints like that.

I just think OP needs to look very carefully at the possible sources before placing blame on Carnival, some Hotel, or whoever.

For those of you planning to go on Ecstasy soon, please don't worry about this, there were over 2100 people on that ship with us and only these four seem to have had any problem like this, very good odds in favor of a great cruise if you ask me!

Thanks for the posting OP. We had a problem with bed bugs on the Triumph. There were three of us in the room and the only one who got bit was my SIL who slept in the pull down bed.

It is very possible to have rooms not infested near rooms that are since we had three beds and only one bed had bed bugs. I would definetly check the pull down beds as they dont get changed often.

Sorry, still don't think it was bed bugs you experienced.

I have 22 years in public health and I have seen my share of bed bugs, so I am not gasping at straws either.

Plus, before you start spreading the tale of bed bugs on Carnival ships, I would consider the liable issue you could be taking on.

I am not saying it could not have been bed bugs as the incidence is on the rise, but Your description just does not fit the known description of being bitten by them.

22 years in public health in what capacity???

Do you mop floors in a nursing home or are you a doctor? Thousands work in public health and can't tell the difference from a bed bug to a bed pan.

Put the pom poms away..

And as far as HOW bed bugs get on a ship, whether it be brought on in luggage or from an excursion, who cares..they are now ON the ship, and won't be disembarking any time soon.

Thanks to the OP for your info.

Sorry, still don't think it was bed bugs you experienced.

I have 22 years in public health and I have seen my share of bed bugs, so I am not gasping at straws either.

Plus, before you start spreading the tale of bed bugs on Carnival ships, I would consider the liable issue you could be taking on.

I am not saying it could not have been bed bugs as the incidence is on the rise, but Your description just does not fit the known description of being bitten by them.

22 years in public health in what capacity???

Do you mop floors in a nursing home or are you a doctor? Thousands work in public health and can't tell the difference from a bed bug to a bed pan.

Put the pom poms away..

And as far as HOW bed bugs get on a ship, whether it be brought on in luggage or from an excursion, who cares..they are now ON the ship, and won't be disembarking any time soon.

Thanks to the OP for your info.

In case anyone was thinking the OP's pictures were his/her own, they are not. If you right click on the pics and select Properties, it shows that they came from the Harvard site. Although the OP did not say in so many words that he/she took the pictures, I think some readers got that impression.

All I can say is I HOPE this information is incorrect, for whatever reason, since I will be cruising on the Ecstasy in Feb. However, I think I will take a can of bug spray and spray the mattress, just in case.[/quote]

I am not jumping on you but here in lies the problem with making accusations such as carnival ships have bed bugs.

You are planning on taking a toxic substance and spray a matteress "just in case"?

You can poison yourself and your family if you choose, but please consider the people that will be sleeping in that room, on that mattress, following you.

Oh please! I certainly would not use any pesticide on a ship that I wouldn't use in my home! I'd be the first one sleeping in that bed, remember! :rolleyes: I am very careful with pesticides and read labels carefully. My husband has a professional pesticide applicator's license. So you wouldn't have to worry about anything I might spray the cabin with. I suppose you are right in that some people might spray with something dangerous. However, I don't believe you can purchase "dangerous, toxic pesticides" OTC, can you?

While I don't dispute that there may have been something, even bedbugs, I notice two real problems with the OPs original post;

First, as pointed out by many others, there are many other possible sources for the problem, even if they were bedbugs, than the Ecstasy. It's just wrong to just assume they were from the ship when you don't know for sure (it took OP four days to determine they were bug bites).

Second, in the original post, OP said that there must be many others who had the same problem and didn't realize what it was. Not only has no one else said they had a problem, some, like myself, were on that ship and had friends in a room very near the OP, and didn't have any problem. I also talked to many people (a different group at breakfast every morning, incuding Friday), and never heard any complaints like that.

I just think OP needs to look very carefully at the possible sources before placing blame on Carnival, some Hotel, or whoever.

For those of you planning to go on Ecstasy soon, please don't worry about this, there were over 2100 people on that ship with us and only these four seem to have had any problem like this, very good odds in favor of a great cruise if you ask me!

:) First off...this is just an observation...not an attack! But.....your last statement "there were over 2100 people on that ship with us and only these four seem to have had any problem like this" is not in any way an indication that there is not a problem. I mean,,,,,lets be real here! How many people out of the 2100 even know this web site exists? I believe that only a single digit percentage of cruisers even use this site. A good example of this is "Roll Call" ! Usually it is only a hand full of the same people posting before their cruise? Also, talking to a different group of people during breakfast would maybe have you conversing with approximately 40 people out of 2,100 the entire cruise???? Even if coversations occurred outside of the dining room.....it truly would require an all out INVASION of Bed Bugs to cause "rumor mongering"

That being said, I do not believe the original poster was running around...hands in the air....screaming that an infestation has taken over the Ecstacy;) I respect her concern with fellow passengers and the need to inform us. I bet if there was a Nation Wide Questionier.....or whatever other means to obtain information....we would discover numerous incidents similar to this one happening on ALL cruise ships and lines? I believe that I am ultimately responsible for my own health, decisions and outcomes....therefore I am now informed, I can check my bed, if there is a problem, I can insist on being moved etc. In my world, no different than rectifying problems in dining establishment, hotel rooms or purchasing defective items. :D ONCE AGAIN....just my opinion, not an attack!

Smiles,Connie

Originally Posted by ttownhawk viewpost.gif

You have to read the label, if it is labeled for bed bugs, go for it. I know how to treat homes, not people.

We are not saying to panic, we are not saying all cruise ship beds have bugs, but if you notice bites around ankles, back of knees, groin area question them, look for small poppy seed sized bugs or small almost clear skin tab looking things investigate them and take measures to protect your own homes. Some people like to argue just for the sake of argueing and I just have no interest to argue. I'm just trying to help others to know what to look for. Geesh!!!!

In the OP, you stated " Itchy, pus filled bites. "

I am not disputing you having bug bites, but you are giving a description more in line with chiggers. Bedbugs are not choosy where they feed and the bites do not pus unless they become infected from scratching.

Whatever type they are, I hope you kept specimens to be verified and post an update. I'm on the Ecstacy in 4 days so I sure hope you are wrong, but I will be looking.

I was only pointing out the description that was being given in these two posts are more in line with chiggers. With people trying to watch for bedbugs, correct information helps. (I really was not trying to feed the flames :o )

What is it that you dispute? The infirmary on the boat thinks its bedbugs, after Googling this it sounds and looks like bedbugs. Why do you have more credibility than those two sources?

We don't know that the infirmary said it was bed bugs. OP said they would post proof, but we haven't seen it yet. If the report mentions bed bugs I'm guessing it is only mentioned in the context that is what the passenger reported. I'll bet there will not be a confirmation of bed bugs by the infirmary, only that that the passenger claimed it.

OP is very polite in their posts and may have good intentions, but I still don't think they are correct. I still suspect an original agenda more than 'just informing' although hopefully that is all it is after reflection of the situation.

If one wants to reread my recent Ecstasy review you'll find I mention a bug right away. I didn't try to blame the ship though, as no one can be sure.

okay well I was on this same sailing on the rivera deck cabin 140 and can report no bug problems there, but then again it doesnt mean the OP didnt have them.

but i cant wait to see the documentation so I can contact carnival about this and see about future discounts on my many booked cruises.

i feel bad for the OP and his family but will definatly contact some of the personal onboard that i met and inquire about any wide spread investation..cause if they were there ( and I'm not saying they were or werent) they need to be addressed so the ship can be quarintined and tented and fogged.

hmm lets see $15 obc for late start due to fog..wonder what bed bugs could bring?

okay well I was on this same sailing on the rivera deck cabin 140 and can report no bug problems there, but then again it doesnt mean the OP didnt have them.

but i cant wait to see the documentation so I can contact carnival about this and see about future discounts on my many booked cruises.

i feel bad for the OP and his family but will definatly contact some of the personal onboard that i met and inquire about any wide spread investation..cause if they were there ( and I'm not saying they were or werent) they need to be addressed so the ship can be quarintined and tented and fogged.

hmm lets see $15 obc for late start due to fog..wonder what bed bugs could bring?

Why would you be entitled to a discount? I am certain that a Hyatt has had bedbugs before. Should future guests of the Hyatt be entitled to discounts?

I am curious why people think this could not have happened. I can understand "hoping" that this isn't true. I would like nothing better than to find out it is not as I sail in about three weeks. But, bedbugs happen and a few of you seem to think that this is bogus. But, I have yet to read a reason why peopole think this is bogus, other than the fact that they hope it is bogus.

hey Zone

Kinda surprised to see you were on the Ecstasy since I know your cruise history. Small potatoes for you, but glad to see you have made it back to Texas. It is warmer. Sorry about the fog, that's not typical.

Just got off of the Ecstasy and I just wanted to let others know that there are bed bugs on the ecstasy. I will be writing a lengthy review when I return home, but someone needs to be told now!! Pursers desk was rude, infirmary was kind and documented the fact that our bodies were covered in bites, and I even took live bugs with me that we picked off of our bodies as proof. Requested to speak to chief purser several times and it was not until I refused to leave the ship that she finally spoke with us. It is not limited to just one room, we were in E244. My in laws were in E191 and were also ate up with the bug bites. I just pulled a live one off of my Mother in law 5 minutes ago. We heard other people on Empress deck complaining about ichy spots, but they thought they were stung by jelli fish. They will be very unhappy when they get home and take their luggage into their homes with their new little friends. We will be stripping in the garage and unloading the luggage in the garage to be fumigated before we ever enter our homes. We also informed customes, health department and the CDC. Housekeeping just planned on "sterilizing" the room, but having been an exterminater for approx. 16 years I can tell you that this will not solve the problems. I expressed my concerns of the fact that pesticides needed to be used, but they just said there would be a heavy cleaning. They still planned on leaving as scheduled without treating the problem with pesticides. If you were also affected by this problem I would like to hear from you. I have filed a formal complaint, but will not be able to speak with Carnival Corp. customer relations until Monday. If you have read any of my other posts you will see that I was looking forward to having a great time. I'm not one to go looking for problems. A cruise is what you make it, but this was not anticipated. This was my belated honeymoon, and we spent the cruise ichy and uncomfortable. It was also my birthday cruise, what nice gifts they gave me!! Itchy, pus filled bites. My husband has at least 80-100 bites and pulled 3 live bugs from his body just this morning. I have fewer than he does, but still all over. We counted approx. 24 on my Mother in law, and my Father in law has quite a few around his groin area, poor guy. We are all walking around scratching like we have chicken pox.

Just a quick question. Did Carnival offer you a $25.00 OBC and 10% off you next cruise?? I heard they do that even if the ship sinks thats about all you will get.

I don't know why people are so concerned about bedbugs. They don't harm you or cause disease. The mosquito and sand flea bites are a lot more common.

I understand the critters can get into luggage and clothes, but you can get them from hotels too. Once known about, they can be exterminated.

But even if they are killed, the next crop of passengers can bring them on board again, from the hotels they stay at.

So, I think bedbugs are just another part of traveling, not particularly limited to cruising. Nothing to get all worked up about.

Oh my gosh! I have just finished reading all the posts and am sitting here chuckling to myself. DH is watching me with concern :p .

I'd bet that even if the documents from the infirmary say "bed bugs" there will be a big dispute to their validity.

To the OP, thanks for the heads up and for calling it to Carnival's attention. Weather it's bed bugs, chiggers or sand fleas -- Something was biting :eek: and needs to be taken care of. I'd be very concerned if I had a upcoming cruise in the same cabin.

Funny!!

Fortunately, tenting and fogging is not required...just a squirt from a bottle of Sleeptight!! :D

Which begs the question...how would one "tent" a cruise ship???

I don't know why people are so concerned about bedbugs. They don't harm you or cause disease. The mosquito and sand flea bites are a lot more common.

I understand the critters can get into luggage and clothes, but you can get them from hotels too. Once known about, they can be exterminated.

But even if they are killed, the next crop of passengers can bring them on board again, from the hotels they stay at.

So, I think bedbugs are just another part of traveling, not particularly limited to cruising. Nothing to get all worked up about.

Make sure you avoid the botfly at ALL costs!!! :eek:

Salty Dingo, I can only guess that the reason people get worked up about bed bugs is because you have bugs on you! I guess the little girl inside of me comes out at the idea of bugs crawling on you in your sleep because all I can think of is absolutely disgusting thoughts. I don't care if they don't carry diseases or harm me in the long run it's still absolutely disgusting. I am not trying to flame you or anything but I think its a little obvious as to why people make a big deal out of bed bugs. :( I know I would, just reading this post is making my skin itchy :rolleyes:

Salty Dingo, I can only guess that the reason people get worked up about bed bugs is because you have bugs on you! I guess the little girl inside of me comes out at the idea of bugs crawling on you in your sleep because all I can think of is absolutely disgusting thoughts. I don't care if they don't carry diseases or harm me in the long run it's still absolutely disgusting. I am not trying to flame you or anything but I think its a little obvious as to why people make a big deal out of bed bugs. :( I know I would, just reading this post is making my skin itchy :rolleyes:

I agree totally.

Lice aren't harmful either...would you get freaked out if you had 'em?? I sure as hell would!! :eek: *shudder*

It's not even just the grossness of having bugs on you, it's the PITA of having to be careful of what you bring home with you.

Archived