Possible Bed bugs on Ecstasy! Dec 10-15, 07

ttownhawk

Take your own sheets with you. Those made in CHINA sheets. I'm sure they contain lead and anti-freeze and other toxic cocktails that will keep the bugs and virus off of you while you sleep. If you feel that this still isn't enough, hold a Chinese toy in your hands while you sleep and the lead in the paint will protect you.

Now that's funny:p

The good news is that Sleeptight is a fairly easy (the word easy being relative) fix. It has worked well in the warehouses and some hotels in New York (very expensive hotels I might add).

The bad news is getting Carnival to listen. Hopefully they will.

As far as specific cabins....they can be in one and not be in the cabin right next door. Or they can not be there one cabin in this cruise and 2 cruises later..there is an infestation.

To the OP: I appreciate you taking the time to relay the problem to Corporate (complete with pictures). I hope they listen, resolve your issue and eliminate future issues by using the proper product that will do the job!!

Well said. I appreciate the OP taking out the time as well. Just because someone else didnt experience something doesnt mean it didnt occur, but the minute it happens to them, they'll be quick to make statements about their occurrence as well. To the OP: :D This was very helpful info, thanks.

My daughter in law was the one that started this thread and mentioned that my son had more bites then all of us. I just called to see if they had heard anything from the cruise line............NO Now my son has 102 temp and is heading for the ER................will this nightmare ever end. We all are iching and miserable, and now this:eek:

Here is why I'm skeptical of this incident:

Not once, not twice, but three times the OP misspelled exterminator as "exterminater". For being in such a profession for 16 years, one should be able to spell it.

For instance, I've been in the pharmacy business now for 18 years. I would not incorrectly spell it as farmacy or pharmocy. A typo, perhaps, but not the same typo 3 consecutive postings.

Now, that being said, I do applaud the OP for bringing up the subject, no matter what the intention. As you see, many here "researched", or "googled" information regarding bed bugs. A little bit of knowledge is always helpful.

(of course, with said knowledge came a lot of "heebie jeebies"!!!)

Not once, not twice, but three times the OP misspelled exterminator as "exterminater". For being in such a profession for 16 years, one should be able to spell it.

For instance, I've been in the pharmacy business now for 18 years. I would not incorrectly spell it as farmacy or pharmocy. A typo, perhaps, but not the same typo 3 consecutive postings.

I wondered when someone was going to mention the misspelling of exterminator. That's been bothering me, too!

Carnival is not the only cruiseline with a bed bug problems, Its competitors had had a few complaints against them (read below):

"We were extremely unhappy about our Royal Caribbean experience. Getting you to the ship is a disaster, the ships smell like smoke and there is a serious hygeine issue. Despite its name, it is definitely on the low end of cruise lines. Don't make the mistake we made but spend some time really researching the different cruise lines.

They have had many cases of Norwalk virus (a stomach disorder that ends up with you being confined to your cabin), a serious issue with bed bugs in some of the cabins, a number of passengers that have gone overboard, pre teens are completely out of control (we witnessed poor security on our cruise) and if you have an issue they have a "too bad so sad" attitude about customer service.

Consider yourself warned. I absolutely would do more research and find another cruise line."

-----------------------------------------------------

"More bed bugs!! This from the cruise junkie website

A passenger returning from the four day cruise ending today posted a message detailing their experience with bed bugs on the ship (Stateroom 7094), and the less-than-attentive response on the part of onboard staff. They report that when they left the ship, the room had been made up for the next passengers and it had not been fumigated.Once again the Royal Caribbean hygeine issue surfaces."

-------------------------------------------

Now, that being said, I do applaud the OP for bringing up the subject, no matter what the intention. As you see, many here "researched", or "googled" information regarding bed bugs. A little bit of knowledge is always helpful.

(of course, with said knowledge came a lot of "heebie jeebies"!!!)

I have no doubt the OP and family was bitten by "something".

My problem is the insistance it was bed bugs when the description simply does not match.

Bed Bugs DO NOT attach themselves to a person. They stick you with their proboscis much like a mosquitto would, inject an anticoagulant and suck up the blood. They have been observed to feed as long as 10 min. But are disturbed by simply moving in your sleep so often a pattern is noted at the bite area as they are disturbed while feeding.

Bed bugs go for exposed skin and simply sleeping fully covered can prevent the bites. (they sell sleep sacks for travelers) Most bites are on the feet/ankles or hands and arms as that would be the first uncovered area encountered when they come out of hiding. Two people can be in the same bed and only one be bitten because of their location.

I really do not care if you think I know what I am saying or not. And anyone traveling should be aware there is a possibility you will come in contact with bed bugs. So a beware warning is not out of place.

I also noticed the misspelling of a profession the OP has had for at least 16 years. Another thing is the OP tells us about the bugs found attached to their person, but nowhere is there any mention that the bedding/mattress was checked which is where I would think that someone that had been in the business 16 years would have looked.

Now all that said, I would really like to know what the OP and family found attached to their bodies because I know it was not bed bugs and I would like to know what it really was as a heads up on what measures I may need to take in the future. To be honest I am less worried about a bed bug bite than I am about some bug attaching itself to me and possibly going unnoticed for a long time. Trust me, you do not want to see what the head of a tick can result in if not removed with the rest of the body.

So I continue to await the documentation from the nurses on board and any further information the OP can share.

Wow some of you guys are really reaching trying to discredit the OP.

I have a pretty good BS meter and the OP's post hasn't budged the meter.

Doesn't mean I'm right, just my 2 cents worth.

Bill

I think they really think they got them on Ecstasy. That may be why your BS meter didn't go off.

I think many that have posted comments here haven't even been on the ship. Many of the doubters, of which I am one, have been on board and have seen that beautiful crystal award at the head of the stair case as Best Ship in Fleet. You don't win that without having a great staff, crew, and CLEAN ship. Ecstasy has won it 3 times in just the past few years. Now it is possible, but I doubt that they contracted the bugs (if they even are bed bugs) ON the Ecstasy.

I hope the OP's family is well and I'm sorry to hear that one is presently ill, but it sure doesn't sound like bed bugs.

Actually your the 3rd or 4th to mention the spelling. But I agree with you and I was one who didn't notice it. But I also had to take 'Dumbell English' because I flunked the spelling test freshman year. I did learn a lot so it worked out in the long run and I did get to meet most of the members of the football team.:rolleyes: Several who became quite famous.;)

Wow some of you guys are really reaching trying to discredit the OP.

I have a pretty good BS meter and the OP's post hasn't budged the meter.

Doesn't mean I'm right, just my 2 cents worth.

Bill

100% agree with you Bill.

For those who are pinging on the misspelling of Exterminator: It's an honest, respectable career, but a 1200 on the SAT's is not required. Not everyone has a grad degree in English Lit.

For those who are pinging on the "Cleanest ship in the fleet" angle: Clean a cabin ten times a day, unless you're disassembling every nook & cranny when you clean, the bugs will still be there.

Since the OP and family has found the problem insects since they arrived home, hopefully they have put them in a bag for identification. It will be very interesting to see the final results. Two years ago we did a beach excursion on Roatan and many of us were bitten by sand fleas. To the OP and family please keep us posted.

The bug was found in the hotel room just after I came off the ship. We all checked ourselves again as soom as we got off the ship. I was the only one to have a bug on me. I have the documentation from the nurse on the ship, I scanned it into my computer, but I can't seem to attach it to this message board. I go to the paperclip, browse, find the document and hit upload, it says uploading please wait and nothing happens I have the document on my pictures.............can anyone help me in uploading it?????????

I even hit copy on the picture, but when I come back to this message, paste is not an option.

The bug was found in the hotel room just after I came off the ship. We all checked ourselves again as soom as we got off the ship. I was the only one to have a bug on me. I have the documentation from the nurse on the ship, I scanned it into my computer, but I can't seem to attach it to this message board. I go to the paperclip, browse, find the document and hit upload, it says uploading please wait and nothing happens I have the document on my pictures.............can anyone help me in uploading it?????????

I even hit copy on the picture, but when I come back to this message, paste is not an option.

Send me the attachment via email, I will post it if I can: wennfred@cox.net

Also when Paste is not an option, you can just key in Ctrl V to paste it.

Fred

No email yet, and I have to get to bed, doing another 16 hour shift night.

Try this, open up the scanned file, then hit Prt Scr key on your keyboard, this will take a snapshot of whatevers on your screen. Then open Paint and do a copy/paste and then crop and save as a JPEG file. Or email me the attachement and I will post it tomorrow.

Fred

100% agree with you Bill.

For those who are pinging on the misspelling of Exterminator: It's an honest, respectable career, but a 1200 on the SAT's is not required. Not everyone has a grad degree in English Lit.

For those who are pinging on the "Cleanest ship in the fleet" angle: Clean a cabin ten times a day, unless you're disassembling every nook & cranny when you clean, the bugs will still be there.

lol, if all in jest..........if not,1200.................give me a break, what a joke! A standardized test determining your profession........Let me guess, you hit the 1250 mark, were accepted to law school and now are a prominent PI attorney :eek: .

........................Please.

My husband I took our first tirp over Halloween on Conquest. Fun! Now we are trying the Estascy,then my sister Emails me your account of your trip. We have been assigned the same cabin your in laws had. My skin is already creeping. I called Carnival asking for some guarantee, that the:eek: cabin had been fumigated. I was ment with we don't guarantee anything attitude. Although they said the Health Dept. had inspected the cabins. When I asked them to Email the certificate, the request was refused.

Now Thursday I go aboard with weapons of mass bug destruction, Flashlight, magnifing glass, and bunny foot pj's. Wish me luck in war! I'll report back after the tour duty. witsend46

Archived