Possible Bed bugs on Ecstasy! Dec 10-15, 07

ttownhawk

The preceeding quote is from a site THAT SELLS "ALL NATURAL" REMEDIES!! Can you say "bias"? I knew that you could. The FOLLOWING quote is from THE EPA (you know Environmental Protection Agency):

Safety review of DEET completed in 1998

After completing a comprehensive re-assessment of DEET, EPA concluded that, as long as consumers follow label directions and take proper precautions, insect repellents containing DEET do not present a health concern. Human exposure is expected to be brief, and long-term exposure is not expected. Based on extensive toxicity testing, the Agency believes that the normal use of DEET does not present a health concern to the general population.

Not to mention that Avon's Skin So Soft is nothing more than a marketing scheme, albeit a good one.

The sheep believe anything. Avon laughed all the way to the bank !:cool:

Safety review of DEET completed in 1998

After completing a comprehensive re-assessment of DEET, EPA concluded that, as long as consumers follow label directions and take proper precautions, insect repellents containing DEET do not present a health concern. Human exposure is expected to be brief, and long-term exposure is not expected. Based on extensive toxicity testing, the Agency believes that the normal use of DEET does not present a health concern to the general population.

FYI:

DEET(N,N-diethyl-meta-toluamide) is a toxic chemical and must be treated as one. It is regulated by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), who recently made the label stricter in an effort to warn people of its toxicity and hazards. Following are excerpts from the EPA's warning label requirements of how DEET should be used:

Do not apply to hands or near eyes and mouth of young children.

Do not use under clothing.

Do not apply over cuts, wounds, or irritated skin.

Avoid over-application of this product.

After returning indoors, wash treated skin with soap and water.

Wash treated clothing before wearing it again.

If you can imagine all the scenarios that people may use insect repellents - on themselves and their kids (who notoriously wipe their hands on their clothing and put their hands in their mouth ), it is not difficult to imagine people failing to heed these warnings. Especially if using a product like Off which contains up to 100% DEET (vs. the doctor recommended 30%), reapplication, medications, and putting clothing on over the product within 13 hours of use can cause heightened levels of toxicity in the human system.

Several cases of DEET poisonings have been reported by the EPA, including at least three fatalities. Doctors recommend using products that contain no more than 30 percent DEET for adults. DEET should not be used on infants or children.

Aside from Avon SSS which is crap if you ask me...has anyone ever tried Burts Bees Insect repellant?? It's made with lemon grass, eucalyptus and other natural stuff...smells kinda citronella-ish (YUK). Works great.

No worry about poisoning yourself. ;)

LOL..although I've never tried it for bed bugs, it does keep the mosquitos away. :D

This is off the subject, but this is something that I believe will be of great interest to Fred:

"

FDA Requests Recall of 'True Man Sexual Energy,' 'Energy Max' Dietary Supplements

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration yesterday requested a recall of True Man Sexual Energy Nutrient Capsules and Energy Max Energy Supplement Men's Formula Capsules. The products, often advertised as ``all natural'' alternatives potency drugs, could interact with medications and cause dangerously high blood pressure.

The FDA has not approved True Man or Energy Max, and their safety and effectiveness are unknown.

The products are often advertised in newspapers, retail stores, and on the Internet. "

Oh great :( I better take it back and get a refund. :D

Fred

Not to mention that Avon's Skin So Soft is nothing more than a marketing scheme, albeit a good one.

The sheep believe anything. Avon laughed all the way to the bank !:cool:

Now I have to defend Avon's Skin So Soft....the mosquito is their State Bird and Skin So Soft is the only thing that kept them off of me when we did our interior trip. Every time you got near a bush in July it was like someone rang them a dinner bell...until the Skin So Soft appeared. Not a bite!!

Now I have to defend Avon's Skin So Soft....the mosquito is their State Bird and Skin So Soft is the only thing that kept them off of me when we did our interior trip. Every time you got near a bush in July it was like someone rang them a dinner bell...until the Skin So Soft appeared. Not a bite!!

It may have worked for you but Comsumer Reports, University of Florida and The New England Journal of Medicine agreed it was ineffective, lasting less than 10 minutes.

Originally Posted by witsend46HMFS8E viewpost.gif

Tomorrow we board the Estacsy with high hopes that CARNIVAL has sanitized the infamous cabin E191. We go armed with bed covers, hypoallergetic bug spray, and a small sample jar just in case we can capture the blood sucking devils.

Well now we are just back from the Estacsy and the infamous cabin E191. The room was perfectly clean, we had no problems with any creature, although the headless bunny did startle me. When I arrived to the cabin I stripped the bed, while my dear husband did a running commentary, (making sure no sheet was unturned) I found no evidence of any creepy crawlies ANYWHERE. We had a great time!

So I must conclude 1) the crew cleaned that room to it's immaculent state, 2) maybe the first post was bitten by something else

People shouldn't panic, as I did, about dubious scuttlebutt. If there is a hint of trouble a brewing, check it out yourself and do not just accept what is said. Thank you almost for an entertaining thread.

QUOTE FROM THREAD

Between sand fleas, mosquitos and ants alone, the Caribbean and Central and South America would be disasterous places for someone with diabetes or going through chemo. And I can't imagine that someone going through chemo would be wise using any kind of pesticide on their skin...that in itself seems extremely dangerous to me.

This person obvousily has no imagine, of course ill people are going to take risks, like everyone does everyday. Are we that are ill or dying, to confine ourselves and brood, let our thoughts carry us to our fate sooner. What better way to spend time than having fun, cruising, dancing, laughing. Some who "can't imagine" will die unhappier, and with more regrets than I. YES, I WILL TAKE THE RISKS. witsend46

Tomorrow we board the Estacsy with high hopes that CARNIVAL has sanitized the infamous cabin E191. We go armed with bed covers, hypoallergetic bug spray, and a small sample jar just in case we can capture the blood sucking devils.

Well now we are just back from the Estacsy and the infamous cabin E191. The room was perfectly clean, we had no problems with any creature, although the headless bunny did startle me. When I arrived to the cabin I stripped the bed, while my dear husband did a running commentary, (making sure no sheet was unturned) I found no evidence of any creepy crawlies ANYWHERE. We had a great time!

So I must conclude 1) the crew cleaned that room to it's immaculent state, 2) maybe the first post was bitten by something else

People shouldn't panic, as I did, about dubious scuttlebutt. If there is a hint of trouble a brewing, check it out yourself and do not just accept what is said. Thank you almost for an entertaining thread.

QUOTE FROM THREAD

Between sand fleas, mosquitos and ants alone, the Caribbean and Central and South America would be disasterous places for someone with diabetes or going through chemo. And I can't imagine that someone going through chemo would be wise using any kind of pesticide on their skin...that in itself seems extremely dangerous to me.

This person obvousily has no imagine, of course ill people are going to take risks, like everyone does everyday. Are we that are ill or dying, to confine ourselves and brood, let our thoughts carry us to our fate sooner. What better way to spend time than having fun, cruising, dancing, laughing. Some who "can't imagine" will die unhappier, and with more regrets than I. YES, I WILL TAKE THE RISKS. witsend46

I am so glad you had a good cruise. I never doubted you wouldn't.

I am with you on limiting yourself before you have to. My motto. I want to LIVE till I die. No More. No Less.

QUOTE FROM THREAD

Thank you very much for your reply and report on the cabin in question. I believe your two conclusions are spot on!

Your advice is also great. That was the purpose of mine and several other experienced cruisers posts. There is no need to panic future cruisers. The way the original headline was written was meant to do just that. Although I don't blame you at all for your concerns since you had THAT cabin.

Again thanks for your report.

There are somethings I must mention about cabin E191: the matresses were new, the curtains were new, the carpet was steam cleaned. I ran a match cover in all the cracks and crevices, I even opened the remote. Nothing. However to have a cabin so purified must indicate an unusual problem cleaning. So Carnival DID take steps to eliminate any possible problem.

Quote from OP

CNO Now my son has 102 temp and is heading for the ER................will this nightmare ever end. We all are iching and miserable, and now this:eek:redits to them!

What were the conclusions from the ER doc????:confused:

Quote from OP

CNO Now my son has 102 temp and is heading for the ER................will this nightmare ever end. We all are iching and miserable, and now this:eek:redits to them! What were the conclusions from the ER doc????:confused:

She did admit that the Dr. said it had nothing to do with the bites.

I have gotten 4 things out of this thread...1). A case of the " itchies" ( I know it is spelled wrong) 2. People all have their own opinions and some can be helpful and others are downright rude and 3. just because a person spells something wrong doesn't necessarily make them dumb.....I have seen doctors misspell and some very intelligent people with college degrees misspell. There is also the problem of typing ...sometimes the keys move on their own. 4.looking down your nose at other people's opinions and thinking you are above it all doesn't make you look smarter ..just meaner! I won't go into a huge panic but I will check the beds from now on so I guess I am thankful for the info cause i sure don't want to bring any bugs home !!! Merry Christmas everyone and I still can't wait to go on my cruise!

So was the OP high, or was the OP correct?

I'm lost. But hey, I'm on the triumph--so who cares.

witsend46HMFS8E was not saying the OP was high or correct. The cabin was thoroughly cleaned so Carnival evidently did not think the OP was high. To replace the mattress and the curtains there must have been something beside unfounded accusations from a passenger.

If witsend46HMFS8E had went on this cruise and came back complaining of being bitten by something in the cabin and the OP came back and said "oh yeah, we had problems in that same cabin, the OP would have been crucified on this board.

ummmmmmm....think she was anyways! I don't think I will want to come on here and let anyone know anything bad after all she went thru just trying to be a nice person and warn others ....and I would think she did a good deed for the other person that got that room ..since they did clean it and replace the bedding ....don't think that would have happened if this wasn't brought to the attention of people on here.

So glad you had a good trip and they replaced everything......Carnival has asked that we send pictures of the bites. My son faxed the documentation that he got from the Dr. here in OK that he had bedbug bites on him. The bites started drying up in a weeks time which the Mayo Clinic's web site said they should start doing...........you know God works in mysterious was...........this may had all happened to protect you from having more trama on top of the chemo.............my prayers are with you for a speedy recovery. As a nurse I work with cancer pts on a regular basis and I am sooooooooooo glad you had a wonderful trip. You deserved it.

So glad you had a good trip and they replaced everything......Carnival has asked that we send pictures of the bites. My son faxed the documentation that he got from the Dr. here in OK that he had bedbug bites on him. The bites started drying up in a weeks time which the Mayo Clinic's web site said they should start doing...........you know God works in mysterious ways...........this may had all happened to protect you from having more trama on top of the chemo.............my prayers are with you for a speedy recovery. As a nurse I work with cancer pts on a regular basis and I am sooooooooooo glad you had a wonderful trip. You deserved it.

Archived