Possible Bed bugs on Ecstasy! Dec 10-15, 07

ttownhawk

My husband I took our first tirp over Halloween on Conquest. Fun! Now we are trying the Estascy,then my sister Emails me your account of your trip. We have been assigned the same cabin your in laws had. My skin is already creeping. I called Carnival asking for some guarantee, that the:eek: cabin had been fumigated. I was ment with we don't guarantee anything attitude. Although they said the Health Dept. had inspected the cabins. When I asked them to Email the certificate, the request was refused.

Now Thursday I go aboard with weapons of mass bug destruction, Flashlight, magnifing glass, and bunny foot pj's. Wish me luck in war! I'll report back after the tour duty. witsend46

will be on the same cruise, i will be the guy scratching by the pool............my bed bug bites, get your mind out of the gutter.

happy cruising.

This reminds me of the time i was in San Antonio in the Alamo gift shop, and I found an ornament or fridge magnet or something like that, and it was made in China!:eek: I just didn't think that was right!!:eek: :rolleyes:

It would be worse if it was made in Mexico. Kinda like souvenirs at the Pearl Harbor memorial being made in Japan.

lol, if all in jest..........if not,1200.................give me a break, what a joke! A standardized test determining your profession........Let me guess, you hit the 1250 mark, were accepted to law school and now are a prominent PI attorney :eek: .

........................Please.

Your first instinct was correct, I wrote that believing that if you've read the posts by those who've suggested that the OP "probably isn't an exterminator" because they have difficulty spelling that word, further explanations would be unnecessary. I guessed wrong.

Just got off a 12+ shift at the hospital and didn't read the messages until now. vv nothing happened except for a v I wil email it to you.

I was in E191, I don't think they did anything to the cabin. E244 was my sons and they stripped the beds in that room before we left, after they saw the evidence that we had..............hope you don't had a problem.

The size was to big. I centered in to the nurses notes. Hope we can read this.

It worked.......I can read this if I enlarge it by clicking on it. All four of us have documentation, they all read the same. We spoke with the nurse while we were waiting to disembark...........she was going to check out her own cabin!!!

We have pictures of the bites too, but I haven't gotten them on the computer yet. Have to work again tonight, but will try and get the pictures down loaded as soon as possible.

We still haven't gotten a call from Carnival, the Health Dept or the Dept for I & D.

scan0002.jpg.9eb8396932f5af55b3bcca04661ea139.jpg

I don't know why people are so concerned about bedbugs. They don't harm you or cause disease. The mosquito and sand flea bites are a lot more common.

I understand the critters can get into luggage and clothes, but you can get them from hotels too. Once known about, they can be exterminated.

But even if they are killed, the next crop of passengers can bring them on board again, from the hotels they stay at.

So, I think bedbugs are just another part of traveling, not particularly limited to cruising. Nothing to get all worked up about.

I agree - here in the summer we are bitten by hordes of mosquitoes every time we go outside and yes they travel into the house with you so at night while in your bed you are also bothered by them but that is what we put up with to enjoy the outdoors.

Yes, I'd rather cruise without the little pests but hey I'm on a cruise so I'm gonna make the best of my vacation.

And yes I will be checking my bed when I get into my room in January!:D

I agree - here in the summer we are bitten by hordes of mosquitoes every time we go outside and yes they travel into the house with you so at night while in your bed you are also bothered by them but that is what we put up with to enjoy the outdoors.

Yes, I'd rather cruise without the little pests but hey I'm on a cruise so I'm gonna make the best of my vacation.

And yes I will be checking my bed when I get into my room in January!:D

Are you living with your head in the sand:

Bed bugs are annoying and persistent. Getting rid of them requires persistence. Bed bugs hide in extremely small cracks, crevices and corners, making it difficult to locate breeding sites. These vampires of the insect world venture from their hiding spots at night. Life Span! Bed bugs can live a year or longer without food (blood) and thus stay in their hiding places.

Numerous agents of human disease have been found in bed bugs, including viruses, bacteria, protozoa, and parasitic worms. None of these agents reproduce or multiply within bed bugs, and very few survive for any length of time inside a bed bug. For example, in laboratory studies bed bugs may harbor HIV (the virus that causes AIDS) in their digestive tract for several days, but the virus is not present in bed bug fecesNumerous agents of human disease have been found in bed bugs, including viruses, bacteria, protozoa, and parasitic worms. None of these agents reproduce or multiply within bed bugs, and very few survive for any length of time inside a bed bug.

The reason I posted what I knew about them is we managed to get rid of them from a friends house, who brought them back from a holliday in the US.

It was my wife who worked on Cruise Ships in the 90s who at once recognised what they were (the bites that is).

He was a bit ashamed of this, when it was confirmed by his Doc who sent him to the hospital to have blood tests.

It is not something to joke about, we had him living in our house for a week whilst the prob was dealt with, regards

Are you living with your head in the sand:

Maybe not my head but hopefully my feet in January!! I never said they would be fun but they won't stop me from cruising!!!

My youngest once brought home a stray cat and we were infested with fleas!!!! So I know the pain of getting rid of parasites in the home!!

But I'm still gonna cruise Carnival!

LMAO...I guess this NEVER happened on any other cruise ship on any other cruise line or any hotel across the country.

Stop promoting the panic that it is an infestation on this one ship...it's misleading and not accurate.

It happens everywhere, and is not limited to this ship or cruise line.

LOL...talk about heads being in the sand....hehehehe :p:rolleyes:

http://www.bed-bug.net/aboutbedbugs.html

YUK...WHAT ARE BED BUGS?

bedbug_main.jpgbedbug1_large.jpgbedbug2_large.jpg

What are Bed Bugs?

Bed bugs are small wingless insects that feed solely upon the blood of warm-blooded animals. Bed bugs and their relatives have evolved as nest parasites. Certain kinds inhabit bird nests and bat roosts and await the return of their hosts; others have adapted well to living in the ‘nests’ (homes) of people. Hatchling bed bugs are about the size of a poppy seed, and adults are about 1/4 of an inch in length. Looking from above they are an oval in shape, but are flattened from top to bottom when viewing them from the side. Their color ranges from nearly white (just after molting) or a light tan to a deep brown or burnt orange. The host’s blood may appear as a dark red or black mass within the bug’s body. Because they never develop wings, bed bugs cannot fly. When disturbed, bed bugs actively seek shelter in dark cracks and crevices.

What Do Bed Bugs Do?

Bed Bugs seek out people and animals, generally at night while they're asleep, and painlessly sip a few drops of blood. Bed Bugs prefer the dark. While feeding, they inject a tiny amount of their saliva into the skin. Repeated exposures to bed bug bites during a period of several weeks or more causes people to become sensitized to the saliva of these bugs; additional bites may then result in mild to intense allergic responses. The skin lesion produced by the bite of a Bed Bug resembles those caused by many other kinds of blood feeding insects, such as mosquitoes and fleas.

How Do Bed Bugs Get In Your Home?

Because Bed Bugs hide in small crevices, they may accompany luggage, furniture, clothing, pillows, boxes, and other such objects as stowaways when moved between apartments, homes and hotels. Used furniture, particularly bed frames and mattresses, are of greatest risk of harboring bed bugs and their eggs. Thus, you should carefully scrutinize and consider the history of any used furniture, particularly ‘street’ items so plentiful at the beginning and end of each academic year. Because they readily survive for many months without feeding, Bed Bugs may already be present in apparently ‘vacant’ and ‘clean’ apartments. Bed Bugs can wander between adjoining apartments through voids in walls and holes though which wires and pipes pass.

What do Bed Bugs Look Like?

Looking from above they are an oval in shape, but are flattened from top to bottom when viewing them from the side. Their color ranges from nearly white (just after molting) or a light tan to a deep brown or burnt orange.

bedbug5_large.jpgbedbug4.jpgbedbug2_large.jpg

How Do I Search for Bed Bugs?

Carefully inspect the bed frame, mattress, and other furniture for signs of bed bugs and their eggs. Although dead bed bugs, cast bug skins and blood spots may indicate an infestation occurred previously; they do not confirm that an infestation is still active. Search for live (crawling) bugs and ensure they are bed bugs before considering treating. Keep in mind the eggs can be as small as a poppy seed and the larvae as small as a grain of rice.

What Do Bed Bug Bites Look Like?

Generally bed bug bites look like typical mosquito or flea bites, which are red, raised bumps. While feeding, they inject a tiny amount of their saliva into the skin. Repeated exposures to bed bug bites during a period of several weeks or more causes people to become sensitized to the saliva of these bugs; additional bites may then result in mild to intense allergic responses.

http://www.bed-bug.net/killbedbugs.html

How to Get Rid of Bed Bugs - Step-By-Step

The following step-by-step instructions are devised by our team of experts who have dealt with these types of infestations on a daily basis.

1. Look For The Bugs

The first step to getting rid of bed bugs is to do some investigative work. Pay close attention to where people sitt or have slept for long periods of time. Bed Bugs are visible to the eye. The adult bed bug is brown to reddish-brown, oval-shaped, flattened, and about 1/4 to 5/8 inch long.

bedbug_main.jpgbedbug1_large.jpgbedbug2_large.jpg

Be prepared to inspect all areas of the room using a bright flashlight and a magnifying glass if you have one available. Bed Bugs can leave reddish- brown spots on mattresses and have a distinct smell. Remember that the bed bug's flat shape and small body enable it to hide easily in cracks and crevices. Bed bugs, eggs, larvae, and fecal deposits will go unnoticed with just a casual inspection.

You should leave nothing unturned when doing your inspection for bed bugs and no site should be ignored that may be a bed bug hiding place... they hide anywhere! Examples: wall sconces, behind electrical switch plates, behind wall posters, between books and magazines on shelves and in racks. Inspect all the places near sleeping areas, which may mean taking the bed frames apart! Bed bugs can migrate to other rooms and even travel with you!

inmattress.jpg

Bed Bugs (eggs, larvae and adults in seam on mattress)

2. Prepare The Area

A thorough cleaning of the premises will make bed bug control efforts much more effective. Strip all beds down to the bare sleeping surface. Bedding, sheets, blankets, comforters, covers, and shams should be washed in very hot water. Very hot water (120+degrees) will kill the bed bugs. Personal items (stuffed animals, soft toys, blankets) should be removed, cleaned with a vacuum cleaner, and bagged in plastic for several weeks or more. Clutter should be removed from furniture tops and bed stands. Open up the clock radio and phone (that's right, Bed Bugs may be hiding in there too!). Tap the open ends into a bag or on sticky tape so the bed bugs can’t jump and hide. VACUUM EVERY SURFACE IN AFFECTED BEDROOMS INCLUDING THE INSIDE OF DRESSER DRAWERS, DRESSER CAVITIES, WALLS, AND CLOSETS.

In severe infestations, clothing should be removed from dressers and chests. Utilize a crack & crevice vacuum tool to remove bed bugs from deep harborage such as: under baseboards; under carpet edges (pull up along the tack strip); around switch plates (you may have to remove the plate first); from the bed frame; inside box springs; inside furniture; and from floor cracks.

Use a hand-brush attachment to vacuum up most of the bed bugs. Vacuum mattresses and box springs (especially along seams and folds); upholstered furniture; and behind drapes. Also vacuum the floor completely. After vacuuming, remove the bag from the vacuum, tie it tightly, and remove it from the premises ASAP. Remember, really infested bedding may have to be completely discarded. IMMEDIATELY THROW AWAY VACUUM BAG.

3. Attack the Bed Bugs Where They're Hiding

Hot Steam from an electric steamer is the next step in fighting bed bugs. After vacuuming, use a steam machine to get in all of the cracks, crevices, carpet and even on the bedroom furniture and mattresses. Anywhere you think they may be hiding. This will ensure that you got most of them prior to final treatment

To get rid of bed bugs effectively, you've got to hit them hard where they're hiding--in cracks and crevices. Spray Bug Patrol® and apply Fossil Shell Dust® on wall voids and under baseboards and in cracks and crevices, soak the areas thoroughly.

Concentrate most of your efforts on vacuuming, steaming, and final bed bug killer & fossil shell dust to crack and crevices. These are the areas where bed bugs hide.

4. Treat the Bed

The bed area needs to be treated next. Look carefully at the folds and seams of the mattress, the headboard, foot board (if present), box spring/support platform, frame, etc. You will be able to see the bed bugs with the visible eye or the aid of a small magnifying glass. Use the electric steamer to hit these areas hard. All cracks and crevices of the bed structure should be treated for bed bugs with a light application of Bug Patrol. Apply the spray on the tufts, folds and seams of the mattress. The underside of the box spring may be sprayed as well.

TIP: Cover the mattress with a mattress cover being careful not to make any tear holes in the new cover. Also spray a perimeter with Bug Patrol around the bed floor as a repellant.

bedbug1_large.jpg

5. Treat the Furniture (Night Stand, Chests, Dressers, Couches and Chairs)

The last step in bed bug elimination is to do a very thorough crack and crevice treatment of the furniture in the room. For wooden furniture pieces, you cannot miss any cracks. Apply Bug Patrol and Fossil Shell Dust to upholstered furniture, use a similar treatment as the mattress and box spring. Always turn bed bug infested furniture over and treat from the bottom. Look carefully underneath all the legs of the furniture! Bed Bugs love to hide in the most unlikely places! Some furniture may have hollow metal framing (children’s bunk beds are an example). Treat inside the metal tubing with dusts, aerosols or liquids as discussed in the bedding paragraph above.

6. Follow-up in 2 weeks!

VACUUM, VACUUM, VACUUM & STEAM EVERYTHING!

Getting rid of bed bugs is not easy. Inspect the treated room again in two weeks. Do a thorough inspection (especially cracks and crevices) and continually treat any area where bed bugs are persisting or where they have moved.

TIP: Heavy bed bug infestations may need more than a second treatment. Be persistent!

I believe the OP. This is becoming a large scale problem on ships. On our last cruise we didn't have any problems with them BUT several people in our meet and greet group did and it was proven and documented. There's no reason to doubt the OP unless you're in denial because you've never personally experienced it or because many people don't "advertise" about it.

It is my husband and I which have the very room that has problems, E191. I beleive the OP and my skin is crawling.:eek: I am very worried, have been taking chemo, my immune defense is'nt what it should be. Bedbugs DO carry pathogens which can sicken the healthy, these same pathogens could reak havok with me. I, of course, at least, attempted to get a refund. HAHAHAHAHAHA However, you all know the rules. Nothing, no, not anything. This has taken joy out of my last trip and left me worry. My mother,76,and my daughters' cabin is just few away from ours. I talked Mother into going, if she gets bit, her voice will be the last I ever hear. witsend46

It is my husband and I which have the very room that has problems, E191. I beleive the OP and my skin is crawling.:eek: I am very worried, have been taking chemo, my immune defense is'nt what it should be. Bedbugs DO carry pathogens which can sicken the healthy, these same pathogens could reak havok with me. I, of course, at least, attempted to get a refund. HAHAHAHAHAHA However, you all know the rules. Nothing, no, not anything. This has taken joy out of my last trip and left me worry. My mother,76,and my daughters' cabin is just few away from ours. I talked Mother into going, if she gets bit, her voice will be the last I ever hear. witsend46

Go with a positive attitude and I'm sure you will be fine.

LMAO...I guess this NEVER happened on any other cruise ship on any other cruise line or any hotel across the country.

Stop promoting the panic that it is an infestation on this one ship...it's misleading and not accurate.

It happens everywhere, and is not limited to this ship or cruise line.

LOL...talk about heads being in the sand....hehehehe :p:rolleyes:

{bolding mine}

Maybe I've misinterpreted the OP, but her chief complaint seemed to be about the lack of appropriate response by Carnival once they were notified of the issue. She didn't seem to be claiming that infestations happen on Carnival and nowhere else.

Sorry for straying off topic, but it's your post I find to be misleading and not accurate when you accuse her of promoting panic.

Believe me, if on my next cruise we have bed bugs I will not be a happy cruiser and when I get back my review will include the bed bug story. I don't care what cruiseline, what ship, nor how much other fun I had.. the whole bed bug thing will be an issue. Crap happens on every vacation but I'd want that one fixed and in a hurry. Let the captain sleep in my room and I'll take his if the ship is full.

Archived