Possible Bed bugs on Ecstasy! Dec 10-15, 07

ttownhawk

I have a serious question here...

If a person were to spray themselves with an insect repellent containing Deet, would that keep bed bugs off them? I only ask because this is making me think that I may want to BATHE in the stuff next time I sleep in a bed that is not my own!

Dee

You have to read the label, if it is labeled for bed bugs, go for it. I know how to treat homes, not people.

We are not saying to panic, we are not saying all cruise ship beds have bugs, but if you notice bites around ankles, back of knees, groin area question them, look for small poppy seed sized bugs or small almost clear skin tab looking things investigate them and take measures to protect your own homes. Some people like to argue just for the sake of argueing and I just have no interest to argue. I'm just trying to help others to know what to look for. Geesh!!!!

I have a serious question here...

If a person were to spray themselves with an insect repellent containing Deet, would that keep bed bugs off them? I only ask because this is making me think that I may want to BATHE in the stuff next time I sleep in a bed that is not my own!

Dee

Stay away from those products that contain DEET, its very harmful, one good product that does the job is Skin So Soft from Avon.

Deet Dangers:

Every year, approximately one-third of the U.S. population uses insect repellants containing DEET to ward off mosquitoes and other pests. At present, DEET is used in more than 230 products with concentrations up to 100 percent.

However, DEET should be used with caution due to its possible damaging effects on brain cells. Studies have shown that DEET causes brain cell death and behavioral changes in rats after frequent and prolonged use. This exposure causes neurons to die in regions of the brain that control muscle movement, learning, memory, and concentration. Rats treated with an average human dose of DEET (40 mg/kg body weight) performed far worse when challenged with physical tasks requiring muscle control, strength and coordination. These findings are consistent with reported human symptoms following DEET's use by the military in the Persian Gulf War.

With heavy exposure to DEET and other insecticides, humans may experience memory loss, headache, weakness, fatigue, muscle and joint pain, tremors and shortness of breath. These symptoms may not be evident until months or even years after exposure. The most severe damage occurs when DEET is used concurrently with other insecticides, such as permethrin, for prolonged and frequent periods of time. At this time, there is little information about the short-term, singular and occasional use of DEET. Further government testing of the chemical's safety is necessary. However, frequent and long-term use of DEET, especially in combination with other chemicals or medications, could cause brain deficits in vulnerable populations, particularly children.

Sorry to hear you and your family had this nasty bug attack, I was wondering, did this happen after the first night or after being onboard a few days?

Fred

Found a few bites after sleeping in cabin first night, thought nothing of it until more bites kept showing up. I thought maybe sand fleas too until we actually removed three bugs from DH skin this morning. They liked my husband best, I guess he tasted good.

Found a few bites after sleeping in cabin first night, thought nothing of it until more bites kept showing up. I thought maybe sand fleas too until we actually removed three bugs from DH skin this morning. They liked my husband best, I guess he tasted good.

Thats good to know because if that happens to me, I will be packing my bags and moving down to the Atrium Lobby, they have great comfortable sofa seats down there.

Make sure you get all of your documentation, pictures and a great lawyer, I also think that your father-in-law should get those groin pictures takened, that will surely seal the deal.

And as soon as you get home, get to a hospital ASAP.

Fred

I wonder if the "Ships on a stick" are made in China?

This reminds me of the time i was in San Antonio in the Alamo gift shop, and I found an ornament or fridge magnet or something like that, and it was made in China!:eek: I just didn't think that was right!!:eek: :rolleyes:

One of the problems is that people insist on placing their bug infested luggage on top of the bed in order to pack and unpack. Some port motel has bugs and they end up clinging to the suitcase. Then when unpacking on the ship, the passenger places their luggage on top of the bed in their stateroom. Give it a few days/weeks and you end up with an infestation.

One of the problems is that people insist on placing their bug infested luggage on top of the bed in order to pack and unpack. Some port motel has bugs and they end up clinging to the suitcase. Then when unpacking on the ship, the passenger places their luggage on top of the bed in their stateroom. Give it a few days/weeks and you end up with an infestation.

Very possible.

I'm not sure of your agenda, but I don't believe your statement.

You may have contacted some bugs, but I doubt very seriously if your initial contact was on the Ecstasy.

Too many coincidences for me: 1) Members of your family contacted them yet you were in two different cabins. 2) No one on prior cruises have had any complaint. 3) You just happen to have years experience as an exterminator. 4) You just happen to have photographs. 5) You are the only one complaining.

Perhaps you contacted them somewhere where all of your party were present (much more likely) and you honestly think you contacted them ON the Ecstasy, or again, you have some sort of agenda.

Just my humble opinion.

How does one go about contacting a bug? Do they have little cell phones?:D

Sorry it's very late and I didn't wanna do it. My fingers just wouldn't stop.

Bill

You have to read the label, if it is labeled for bed bugs, go for it. I know how to treat homes, not people.

We are not saying to panic, we are not saying all cruise ship beds have bugs, but if you notice bites around ankles, back of knees, groin area question them, look for small poppy seed sized bugs or small almost clear skin tab looking things investigate them and take measures to protect your own homes. Some people like to argue just for the sake of argueing and I just have no interest to argue. I'm just trying to help others to know what to look for. Geesh!!!!

In the OP, you stated " Itchy, pus filled bites. "

I am not disputing you having bug bites, but you are giving a description more in line with chiggers. Bedbugs are not choosy where they feed and the bites do not pus unless they become infected from scratching.

Whatever type they are, I hope you kept specimens to be verified and post an update. I'm on the Ecstacy in 4 days so I sure hope you are wrong, but I will be looking.

In the OP, you stated " Itchy, pus filled bites. "

I am not disputing you having bug bites, but you are giving a description more in line with chiggers. Bedbugs are not choosy where they feed and the bites do not pus unless they become infected from scratching.

Whatever type they are, I hope you kept specimens to be verified and post an update. I'm on the Ecstacy in 4 days so I sure hope you are wrong, but I will be looking.

Yep, all you have to do is walk in some grass with chiggers and you have them for days. Their favorite areas is where clothing is tight - socks, hem of pant/ shorts and underwear. But you usually can not see them just the bites, so that did not match OPs description.

Sounds terrible.

Hope this all works out for the best.

I am not dubting your story, but did you stay at a hotel enroute to the ship or did you fly straight to port of embarkation? Is it possible you picked them up in a hotel and brought them unknowingly onboard?

Just a thought.

Good luck!

Excellent point. This could happen on any ship or any hotel!!!!

It all depends who was in the cabin or hotel room before you.

It does not mean the hotel or cruise ship is dirty.

So if you really don't want to risk exposure, stay home...LOL :p:rolleyes:

It's a risk of traveling and staying in a room or cabin that 100's of people have stayed in before you....they are cleaned, but they are not fumigated or decontaminated like a laboratory clean room. :D

Sorry, still don't think it was bed bugs you experienced.

I have 22 years in public health and I have seen my share of bed bugs, so I am not gasping at straws either.

Plus, before you start spreading the tale of bed bugs on Carnival ships, I would consider the liable issue you could be taking on.

I am not saying it could not have been bed bugs as the incidence is on the rise, but Your description just does not fit the known description of being bitten by them.

What is it that you dispute? The infirmary on the boat thinks its bedbugs, after Googling this it sounds and looks like bedbugs. Why do you have more credibility than those two sources?

I'm not sure of your agenda, but I don't believe your statement.

You may have contacted some bugs, but I doubt very seriously if your initial contact was on the Ecstasy.

Too many coincidences for me: 1) Members of your family contacted them yet you were in two different cabins. 2) No one on prior cruises have had any complaint. 3) You just happen to have years experience as an exterminator. 4) You just happen to have photographs. 5) You are the only one complaining.

Perhaps you contacted them somewhere where all of your party were present (much more likely) and you honestly think you contacted them ON the Ecstasy, or again, you have some sort of agenda.

Just my humble opinion.

What I'm going to say won't be scientific proof one way or the other but, we have a gal friend who left on the Ecstacy yesterday. Her dad organized this as a family reunion. They will be in multiple cabins. When she gets back I'll ask all the pertinent questions and report.

In case anyone was thinking the OP's pictures were his/her own, they are not. If you right click on the pics and select Properties, it shows that they came from the Harvard site. Although the OP did not say in so many words that he/she took the pictures, I think some readers got that impression.

All I can say is I HOPE this information is incorrect, for whatever reason, since I will be cruising on the Ecstasy in Feb. However, I think I will take a can of bug spray and spray the mattress, just in case.

I just edited this. I at first was dismayed of having one pulled over on me (yet again) but went into the OP's post history and don't think this is made up.

I'll give benefit of the doubt (again).

Even if this is all made up, it's made all of us aware and that isn't a bad thing. I'm sure we'll all make sure to look at our mattresses from now on (if we didn't already).

After reading your description and searching the internet for a couple of hours, I do not think what you experienced was bed bugs.

I am not sure what it was and whatever it was needs to be taken care of, but I do not believe it was a bed bug problem.

A couple of good sites to read.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/bedbugs/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bedbugsting

I would also like to know what criteria the infirmary staff used to make the identification.

I have often came home with red itchy spots after visiting different ports on a cruise ship.

I think my biggest questions come from the large number of bugs you actually pulled off your body even after getting off the ship.

Keep us updated on the outcome.

So you in your infinite wisdom (and a couple web pages) know these are not bed bugs? I mean you were there right? you seen them first hand right? your an exterminater right?:rolleyes:

If you feel that this still isn't enough, hold a Chinese toy in your hands while you sleep and the lead in the paint will protect you.

LOL! My laugh of the morning.

So what should we do if we find ourselves in a cabin infested with bed bugs??? Is there ANYTHING we can do to mitigate the damage? Anything we can spray on ourselves? Anything? ANYTHING?????

http://hotels.about.com/od/hotelsecrets/a/bed_bugs.htm

Bed Bugs

Watch out! Bed bugs are making a comeback in some upscale hotel rooms.

By Charlyn Keating Chisholm, About.com

Bed Bugs

Watch out! Bed bugs are making a comeback in some upscale hotel rooms.

By Charlyn Keating Chisholm, About.com

More About:

Hotels Ads

Bed Bugs Hotels Inns Hotels Inns Resorts Get Rid of Bed Bugs Bed Bite

Once thought to be eradicated from North America, the legendary little pests known as bed bugs have been making an unwelcome comeback in hotels and homes. Lest you think bed bugs are relegated to fleabag motels, they have been spotted in the posher locales as well.

What are bed bugs?

Bed bug is the common name for Cimex lectularius, a reddish-brown, oval-shaped insect that can grow to a quarter of an inch long. Bed bugs are wingless and survive by sucking blood from a host animal, preferably a human. Pictures of bed bugs from the University of Toronto

Why are they called bed bugs?

Bed bugs commonly hide in mattresses, carpets, behind peeling paint or wallpaper, and in crevices in wooden furniture (like a bed's headboard or the picture frame above it). The bugs are nocturnal and typically bite people while they sleep, usually just before dawn.

Why are bed bugs reappearing?

Bed bugs were all but eradicated with broad-spectrum pesticides such as DDT, which killed a wide variety of bug types. Concerns about health and the environment led to many of these broad-spectrum pesticides being removed from the market. Today, pest control methods are more focused, designed to kill a particular species (like cockroaches). Bed bugs, since they are not specifically being treated for, are slipping through the cracks.

Where did bed bugs come from?

Bed bugs travel surprisingly well, and are quite comfortable stowing away in luggage and even clothing. The bugs are increasingly found in urban hotels in America. Since they tend to stow away and travel with humans, any place that sees a number of world travelers is susceptible. Pilots, wealthy people, and business travelers can bring bed bugs along unwittingly.

What can you do to avoid bed bugs?

Look around. Bed bugs are large enough to see. Look particularly under the mattress and in the seams, in and around the bedframe, and along any cracks or peeling paint in the wall or picture frames. Check in the cracks of any wooden furniture, particularly antiques. You can also spot bed bugs droppings, which may be tinged with blood.

What should you do if you are bitten by bed bugs?

Bed bugs bite exposed skin and leave behind small, red, itchy welts. The good news? Bed bugs are not generally thought to transmit any diseases. The damage is more emotional than physical. The CDC does say that bites from bed bugs can be treated with topical emollients or corticosteroids. You can also take an oral antihistamine. If you are exposed, you may consider treating your home as well. Most pest control companies are equipped to handle bed bugs.

Archived