Possible Bed bugs on Ecstasy! Dec 10-15, 07

ttownhawk

I think I may know the solution! When I was a kid my mom did something to keep the bedbugs away. She told me to have a "good night", and to "sleep tight". I did so without question, as with anything she told me to do. Well folks, I never once got bit!

So, if you all are concerned, I will send dear old Mother with you on your next cruise and she can whisper those magic words. As long as you have a "good night",,,,, and "sleep tight",,,,,,, then surely the bedbugs won't bite!

No, serioulsy though, this is really friggin' gross. I am gonna go set my matress here at the house in the back yard and light it on fire just to be on the safe side.

I think I may know the solution! When I was a kid my mom did something to keep the bedbugs away. She told me to have a "good night", and to "sleep tight". I did so without question, as with anything she told me to do. Well folks, I never once got bit!

So, if you all are concerned, I will send dear old Mother with you on your next cruise and she can whisper those magic words. As long as you have a "good night",,,,, and "sleep tight",,,,,,, then surely the bedbugs won't bite!

No, serioulsy though, this is really friggin' gross. I am gonna go set my matress here at the house in the back yard and light it on fire just to be on the safe side.

The presence of bed bugs is a prime indicator of the callous disregard of cruise lines for their guests once they have your money. Nothings wrong, we have no liability, cannot help you, blah,blah,blah. This attitude needs to be addressed. An infestation of bloodthirsty insects is certainly correctable. If there there are still bedbugs in my cabin E191 then it is an obvious disregrard for health and safety issues too. Listen, darth, this is not a joking matter. Besides, I AM taking my mother :rolleyes: and that scares me almost more than bedbugs... witsend46

Being in the health care for many years I always amy ready ahead of time. I have alreday order sleeptight. I am not saying I will have them in my cabin , I just want to be ready if something comes up. My DH has some health problems and I do not want anything to add to them. Better to be safe then sorry.

I think I missed something...........was it sleeptight?

OP-Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Many are right this can happen anywhere and you have brought to light how we should be careful when traveling....anywhere!

How is your husband, wasn't he going to the hospital with a fever?

7toElevenI think I missed something...........was it sleeptight?

OP-Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Many are right this can happen anywhere and you have brought to light how we should be careful when traveling....anywhere!

There are product out there called sleep tight and kleenfree. You can order both of them on line.

My son had a infected throat and the Dr. didn't think it was because of the bites, but if it doesn't clear up in a few days he is to go back.

I am so sorry that you have our cabin, your titers will be down 7 to 10 days after your last chemo.

I will tried to send pictures on this site of my bites in the next few days. They match the discription that I found on the hospital med info for bed bug bites.

The only place that I know that I could have gotten these bites is in our cabin. I was never in my sons cabin during the cruise.

Take the pictures and information to our oncologist and ask him his option. See what he recommends and if you do get a bite or two, ask him what to put on them.

Yes, I am very unhappy that the cruise line, health dept and CI&D has never contacted me. :( Have to get to work, will write more tomorrow

Question for those bringing sleeptight........Are you just going to your

cabin, strip the beds, spray the sleeptight and remake them? Or, will

you ask your steward to do this?

I will do it myself, why should I have the room steward do something for bugs that might not be in our cabin. My DH has diabetes and has a lot of problems with his skin.

Your first instinct was correct, I wrote that believing that if you've read the posts by those who've suggested that the OP "probably isn't an exterminator" because they have difficulty spelling that word, further explanations would be unnecessary. I guessed wrong.

Are you an attorney?

My son had a infected throat and the Dr. didn't think it was because of the bites, but if it doesn't clear up in a few days he is to go back.

I am so sorry that you have our cabin, your titers will be down 7 to 10 days after your last chemo.

I will tried to send pictures on this site of my bites in the next few days. They match the discription that I found on the hospital med info for bed bug bites.

The only place that I know that I could have gotten these bites is in our cabin. I was never in my sons cabin during the cruise.

Take the pictures and information to our oncologist and ask him his option. See what he recommends and if you do get a bite or two, ask him what to put on them.

Yes, I am very unhappy that the cruise line, health dept and CI&D has never contacted me. :( Have to get to work, will write more tomorrow

Which health department would have jurisdiction over bed bugs on a cruise ship? I don't believe bed bugs is something the Center for Disease Control is involved with in the sense that it must be reported or that they take action against entities which have bed bugs. They do have information about them on their web site. Don't know what the CI&D is.

Your experience sounds pretty horrific.

It is my husband and I which have the very room that has problems, E191. I beleive the OP and my skin is crawling.:eek: I am very worried, have been taking chemo, my immune defense is'nt what it should be. Bedbugs DO carry pathogens which can sicken the healthy, these same pathogens could reak havok with me. I, of course, at least, attempted to get a refund. HAHAHAHAHAHA However, you all know the rules. Nothing, no, not anything. This has taken joy out of my last trip and left me worry. My mother,76,and my daughters' cabin is just few away from ours. I talked Mother into going, if she gets bit, her voice will be the last I ever hear. witsend46

Sleeptight is a natural product that is used very successfully against bedbugs and it does not harm the environment. It is being used mainly in warehouses but also in some pretty fancy New York hotels. If I remember correctly, it is not very expensive.

Another thought is taking 2 inexpensive plastic twin size mattress covers with you. The kind that zip on. I would strip the bed...but on the mattress covers and then remake the bed. Remaking the bed doesn't have to be perfect because the cabin steward will be back in to do the turn down service and can straighten it up at that time.

7toElevenI think I missed something...........was it sleeptight?

There are product out there called sleep tight and kleenfree. You can order both of them on line.

Thank you! Then this is some kind of spray? Has someone posted information on how to order? If I am being redundant, sorry but I want to see about this product.

That really makes me wonder. A few years back we were on Destiny, and About 1-2 weeks after our cruise i found out I had head lice. At 27 years old I had head lice. I attributed to the cruise. And I didnt get any braiding done or anything with my hair either.

That really makes me wonder. A few years back we were on Destiny, and About 1-2 weeks after our cruise i found out I had head lice. At 27 years old I had head lice. I attributed to the cruise. And I didnt get any braiding done or anything with my hair either.

It could certainly have happened on a cruise ship, hotel, or just about anywhere. You could have gotten it at a movie theatre, or if you hung your coat up at work and it cross-contaminated with another infected person's coat, sharing a hat, headphones, etc. A trip to the hairdresser could be a problem if the person before you has lice and the brushes are not disinfected between clients. There are so many ways for it to spread, it would be pretty hard to pinpoint the exact source.

There was a terrible epidemic of head lice that made the rounds through many of the schools in Dallas several years ago. It showed up in the schools in the projects as well as the most elite private schools in the city; it had nothing to do with cleanliness or socioeconomic standing. I had a friend whose kids brought it home, and even though he is mostly bald, he got it too. He said, "with this little hair, you'd think they wouldn't bother." I found nits in my daughter's hair after she had been home from summer camp for a few days and my heart sunk as all of us girls share hairbrushes in our household. That was a nightmare.

...before everyone sprays and bags their mattresses in plastic. Wouldn't a quick inspection of the mattress before taking all these precautions be good enough?:confused: Every sight I've looked at says that the bugs are clearly visible in the mattresses when they are there.

I mean, heck! If I saw bugs in the mattress, NO amount of spray or plastic would make me comfortable sleeping in that bed anyway!

I agree - here in the summer we are bitten by hordes of mosquitoes every time we go outside and yes they travel into the house with you so at night while in your bed you are also bothered by them but that is what we put up with to enjoy the outdoors.

Yes, I'd rather cruise without the little pests but hey I'm on a cruise so I'm gonna make the best of my vacation.

And yes I will be checking my bed when I get into my room in January!:D

Aren't bedbugs and lice basically the same thing? I would freak if I came into contact with either of them and having 4 children we had the lice thing once and it was a nightmare! I had to take 3 days off from work and spent about $200 to make sure that every head, sheet, pillow, stuffed animal, rug, car head rest, and all furniture were lice free. Then I had to follow up for about 3 months in case we missed any that hadn't hatched yet. I would think bedbugs require the same thing if you brought them back home with you on/in your luggage. I don't think it is isolated to Carnival but sheesh what a thing to have to worry about on vacation.

You have to check more than your mattress. My friend had a bad bedbug infestation a couple of years ago. She found them in crevices in the headboard, etc. When checking a mattress, be sure to pull back the rolled edging around the mattress. They like to hide in there.

You have to check more than your mattress. My friend had a bad bedbug infestation a couple of years ago. She found them in crevices in the headboard, etc. When checking a mattress, be sure to pull back the rolled edging around the mattress. They like to hide in there.
You are right, we found some in our friend's house that were behind a piece of un stuck wallpaper 7 feet from the floor.

They scare the crap out of me because I get a severe allergic reaction to any insect bite.

This as a lot of people including me have stated can happen anywere you get multiple occs of a room, our friend was not on a cruise ship he was in about 6 hotels in the US all of them good quality.

It was my wife who realised what they were.

She had seen the same problems in the crew quarters a number of times in her 9 yrs working on cruise ships in the 90's.

Pax knowledge and the lines response to the problem are the answer!

Regards

I am an Executive at a "4 diamond and more" resort in Orlando, and even we have had a few (2 or 3 times a year) complaints about bed bugs. Whether they are, or are not bed bugs, we take every report very seriously, calling in our contracted pest elimination crew, examining the room thoroughly and if necessary, treating the problem. It requires putting the rooms on either side out of order (so 3 rooms out) and heating all three rooms to a certain temperature, along with the use of pesticides. Definitely worth it, to prevent an infestation! :eek:

Yet another good use for duct tape!!!! Just put a big strip across the top, bottom and both sides of you before you go to sleep.

The bed bugs will get stuck on the tape and (hopefully) you won't!!! :eek:

Archived