Possible Bed bugs on Ecstasy! Dec 10-15, 07

ttownhawk

Did you not read the part about me having been an exterminater and that I have documentation from the nurse on board stating that we were biten by bugs and had the bed bugs with us? Sand fleas don't attach themselves like tiny ticks to your skin, they jump. Not trying to be nasty, just trying to help others understand that I actually know what I am talking about. Mother and Father in law are also nurses.

After rereading your posting, I am really sceptical about your story now.

I would also like to see the "documentation" provided to you by the nurses on board.

I have no doubt you were bitten by "something" but your story is beginning to fall apart.

1. descripion of bite marks appear no where in MY documentation. (or on the internet as backup)

2. so far only have word your family was affected.

3. Your father in law was bitten in a specific area not usually involved in bed bug incidents.

4. nurses on board gave you documentation proof. (highly doubtful)

5. The large number of bugs you carried off the ship attached to your body.

6. and mostly by the response by Carnival according to you.

Did anyone go to the affected cabins and inspect the mattresses/bedding?

I hope you do find out what it was that bit your family so you can avoid it in the future. In this incidence, I don't think bed bugs were the culprits.

Last Feb. on the Glory our friends had bug bites too. They complained and they came and thoroughly cleaned their room They claimed they never found anything but there were no more bites after that. I have read before of people getting bit by them on cruises. I don't think they mean the ship is dirty but they come on in peoples luggage, clothing, etc. Nasty little things. You were right to not take anything into your house. Very smart on your part!

Whatever they were, I am glad I was not there. Any human bug infestation is just NASTY!!! I would have freaked out! They would have had me in a straight jacket, and my belongings would have been overboard! I would have gone NUTS!:eek:

In case anyone was thinking the OP's pictures were his/her own, they are not. If you right click on the pics and select Properties, it shows that they came from the Harvard site. Although the OP did not say in so many words that he/she took the pictures, I think some readers got that impression.

All I can say is I HOPE this information is incorrect, for whatever reason, since I will be cruising on the Ecstasy in Feb. However, I think I will take a can of bug spray and spray the mattress, just in case.

I don't believe ANY of you. I know for a fact that their are NO bugs or viruses on Carnival ships. Anyone who claims there is, is just a meanie.

Why do you feel the need to jump in and attempt to cause trouble.

Bed bugs are a serious issue and to make the accusations that they have been found on a cruise ship would be knowledge that the cruising public needs to know.

Unfortunately, because someone claims to have proof, does not mean they are correct in their claim.

Who hasn't been to ports on a cruise ship and not come back with some kind of strange bite mark? I have them all the time, but have never been caused by bed bugs.

The description the OP is giving simply is not ringing as true for the claim of bed bugs and I for one would really like to know the truth as that is one of the ships I sometimes cruise on.

If it really was bed bugs, I would not be happy with Carnivals response to the problem. But at this point I see no reason not to find their response appropriate.

Oh god. My skin is crawling whether or not this is exaggerated or what. What the heck happens if you come home with bed bugs and crawl in your bed? Your mattresses are ruined?!?! I'd chuck my luggage or at least be like, "Can I put this through travel insurance?" lol

In case anyone was thinking the OP's pictures were his/her own, they are not. If you right click on the pics and select Properties, it shows that they came from the Harvard site. Although the OP did not say in so many words that he/she took the pictures, I think some readers got that impression.

All I can say is I HOPE this information is incorrect, for whatever reason, since I will be cruising on the Ecstasy in Feb. However, I think I will take a can of bug spray and spray the mattress, just in case.[/quote]

I am not jumping on you but here in lies the problem with making accusations such as carnival ships have bed bugs.

You are planning on taking a toxic substance and spray a matteress "just in case"?

You can poison yourself and your family if you choose, but please consider the people that will be sleeping in that room, on that mattress, following you.

How about scanning the documentation and uploading it so we can see it?

Come on, why don't you people believe the OP? I have been called a Carnival Cheerleader (I don't think I am though), but I for one appreciate the OP loetting us know about this problem. I had the same thing happen to me when I was in a hotel for two weeks and did not even think about Bed Bugs. Live and lern.

Last Feb. on the Glory our friends had bug bites too. They complained and they came and thoroughly cleaned their room They claimed they never found anything but there were no more bites after that. I have read before of people getting bit by them on cruises. I don't think they mean the ship is dirty but they come on in peoples luggage, clothing, etc. Nasty little things. You were right to not take anything into your house. Very smart on your part!

My son who slept on the pull-out sofa in the room on our Glory cruise last Christmas got quite a few bites

Come on, why don't you people believe the OP? I have been called a Carnival Cheerleader (I don't think I am though), but I for one appreciate the OP loetting us know about this problem. I had the same thing happen to me when I was in a hotel for two weeks and did not even think about Bed Bugs. Live and lern.

If the bed bugs don't get you the DNA will. :eek:

How about scanning the documentation and uploading it so we can see it?

Not home yet, on a laptop, will do it as soon as possible, but also we live in tulsa, ok where half the state is without power. But don't worry, It will be done for those of us that like proof. Not trying to be nasty, I like proof too and will be happy to supply asap.

Sorry, still don't think it was bed bugs you experienced.

I have 22 years in public health and I have seen my share of bed bugs, so I am not gasping at straws either.

Plus, before you start spreading the tale of bed bugs on Carnival ships, I would consider the liable issue you could be taking on.

I am not saying it could not have been bed bugs as the incidence is on the rise, but Your description just does not fit the known description of being bitten by them.

Sounds like your just a spin doctor for CCL. I have 16 years experience killing bed bugs, and all other kinds of bugs. My description fits perfectly and was documented by the cruise ship infirmary.

Not home yet, on a laptop, will do it as soon as possible, but also we live in tulsa, ok where half the state is without power. But don't worry, It will be done for those of us that like proof. Not trying to be nasty, I like proof too and will be happy to supply asap.

Just for the record, I believe you. And even if you were making this all up (and I can't possibly see why you would do that) I really couldn't care less. None of us have a dog in this fight so it mystifies me why folks get so bent out of shape about your experience one way or the other.

I have a serious question here...

If a person were to spray themselves with an insect repellent containing Deet, would that keep bed bugs off them? I only ask because this is making me think that I may want to BATHE in the stuff next time I sleep in a bed that is not my own!

Dee

I have a serious question here...

If a person were to spray themselves with an insect repellent containing Deet, would that keep bed bugs off them? I only ask because this is making me think that I may want to BATHE in the stuff next time I sleep in a bed that is not my own!

Dee

The DNA in the sheets neutralizes the Deet

The DNA in the sheets neutralizes the Deet

Take your own sheets with you. Those made in CHINA sheets. I'm sure they contain lead and anti-freeze and other toxic cocktails that will keep the bugs and virus off of you while you sleep. If you feel that this still isn't enough, hold a Chinese toy in your hands while you sleep and the lead in the paint will protect you.

Take your own sheets with you. Those made in CHINA sheets. I'm sure they contain lead and anti-freeze and other toxic cocktails that will keep the bugs and virus off of you while you sleep. If you feel that this still isn't enough, hold a Chinese toy in your hands while you sleep and the lead in the paint will protect you.

I wonder if the "Ships on a stick" are made in China?

Just got off of the Ecstasy and I just wanted to let others know that there are bed bugs on the ecstasy. I will be writing a lengthy review when I return home, but someone needs to be told now!! Pursers desk was rude, infirmary was kind and documented the fact that our bodies were covered in bites, and I even took live bugs with me that we picked off of our bodies as proof. Requested to speak to chief purser several times and it was not until I refused to leave the ship that she finally spoke with us. It is not limited to just one room, we were in E244. My in laws were in E191 and were also ate up with the bug bites. I just pulled a live one off of my Mother in law 5 minutes ago. We heard other people on Empress deck complaining about ichy spots, but they thought they were stung by jelli fish. They will be very unhappy when they get home and take their luggage into their homes with their new little friends. We will be stripping in the garage and unloading the luggage in the garage to be fumigated before we ever enter our homes. We also informed customes, health department and the CDC. Housekeeping just planned on "sterilizing" the room, but having been an exterminater for approx. 16 years I can tell you that this will not solve the problems. I expressed my concerns of the fact that pesticides needed to be used, but they just said there would be a heavy cleaning. They still planned on leaving as scheduled without treating the problem with pesticides. If you were also affected by this problem I would like to hear from you. I have filed a formal complaint, but will not be able to speak with Carnival Corp. customer relations until Monday. If you have read any of my other posts you will see that I was looking forward to having a great time. I'm not one to go looking for problems. A cruise is what you make it, but this was not anticipated. This was my belated honeymoon, and we spent the cruise ichy and uncomfortable. It was also my birthday cruise, what nice gifts they gave me!! Itchy, pus filled bites. My husband has at least 80-100 bites and pulled 3 live bugs from his body just this morning. I have fewer than he does, but still all over. We counted approx. 24 on my Mother in law, and my Father in law has quite a few around his groin area, poor guy. We are all walking around scratching like we have chicken pox.

Sounds like some of you need to re-read my OP. Lots of BITES, 3 bugs found on body on ship after waking (they are more active at night) and pulled one off of mother in law right before I posted. When I get home I will upload infirmary documentation and pictures of the bites. I was just showing a picture of bugs to the person who wanted to know what they looked like. I didn't say that they were pictures of the bugs that came off of our bodies. My agenda is just to warn others and make sure the ship is treated for bed bugs. Some of you really like to spin everything to be malicious. And isn't it against the rules to comment on someones spelling. I worked for Charles Pest control, and then terminix before I had to have 3 knee surgeries and could no longer do the work. The infirmary nurse we saw was Emma Chapman.

Sounds like some of you need to re-read my OP. Lots of BITES, 3 bugs found on body on ship after waking (they are more active at night) and pulled one off of mother in law right before I posted. When I get home I will upload infirmary documentation and pictures of the bites. I was just showing a picture of bugs to the person who wanted to know what they looked like. I didn't say that they were pictures of the bugs that came off of our bodies. My agenda is just to warn others and make sure the ship is treated for bed bugs. Some of you really like to spin everything to be malicious. And isn't it against the rules to comment on someones spelling. I worked for Charles Pest control, and then terminix before I had to have 3 knee surgeries and could no longer do the work. The infirmary nurse we saw was Emma Chapman.

What you describe would be totally unacceptable. I hope you get it resolved to your satisfaction.

Archived