Pier at Labadee

Keryel

Just back from Liberty of Seas and Labadee:(and am unpacking and preparing to return to work.

There was a thread asking about the construction of a pier somewhere, but I can't find it.

I was all over the island, but saw no trace of a pier being built.

Promised I would report back...so here it is!

I was there on the July 14 Liberty cruise and ran into one of the US constrution workers. He told me that the construction that is ongoing is for the workers that will be coming to build the new pier for the OASIS. He also said that there were going to be alot of changes to Labadee. Stay tuned. I'm sure RCCL will be saying something about it in the future.:)

Just guessing here, but I would imgaine some of the "big changes" coming to Labadee would include expanding the dining areas, bars and bathrooms to accommodate crowds the size Oasis will bring.

There may be more amenities such as the Zipline although I have no idea what would be offered in addition to what they already have.

• 4 months later...
anyone have an update?

We were there on Independence of the Seas in early December 2008. There is a lot of work going on. The pier has a lot of construction going on at what must be the place where the pier meets land.

There is a walk along the water's edge which is made to look like an old Spanish colonialist "fort" with sentry boxes. It is very picturesque. It will probably have lights. Most likely passengers leaving the pier will pass along this walk. It will be a great photo op place.

Construction of some sort is going on under the Zipline near the water. A machine is digging and moving rocks around. I have no idea if this will be a new beach or some type of building. The water looks quite rough there. It might not be good for swimming.

Two new buildings are under construction, although the work appears to be halted. The sign says "New Barefoot Beach Private Resort." I have no idea what that actually means. Will it be just for suite passengers or for Diamond/Diamond plus Crown and Anchorpassengers or what?

Many small groupings of hammocks under wooden, open-air arbors have appeared since the last time I was at Labadee in January. They are popular. Some have small hammocks for children.

Labadee is changing for sure. I have no idea how long all the changes will take or what all the changes will be. While we were there a barge arrived filled with huge pipes and lots of equipment.

• 2 weeks later...

For those who have recently been to Labadee, is the kids playground (Luc's Splash Bash) still there? This is a water area on land where they have a miniature pirate ship with water cannons, etc. Our boys really loved this area to cool off, but I couldn't find it to book on the RCI website for our cruise in Feb 2009. Any information would be appreciated.

We just got back. We could see where the pier will be and lots of materials on barges out in the water closer to the village of Labadee. The construction in no way interfered with our day. One of the guys who did the walking tour said that RCL has leased the land for 99 years and is planning on expanding more. He wasn't specific as to what was planned. My DH and children did the zipline and loved it and have some fantastic pictures! We loved Labadee.

good news. we'll be there in early April. It's all good. The only concern we had (vis a vis some messages) is that we'd spend too much time getting from the ship to the island and back due to the shuttle boats. The pier would be so much faster.

We are also very excited for the zip line.

good news. we'll be there in early April. It's all good. The only concern we had (vis a vis some messages) is that we'd spend too much time getting from the ship to the island and back due to the shuttle boats. The pier would be so much faster.

We are also very excited for the zip line.

The tender boat trips do not take very long. It actually takes longer to load the boat with passengers than the trip itself. The tender boats, I think there are three, are constantly coming and going, so the wait to get on one is not very long. The ride is fun and you can get some good photos of the ship.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived