Is a balcony safe with a toddler? Would you get one?

psychtobe

I'm worried our 2 year old daughter would slip through the railing, or try to climb. Of course we would be watching her every second but you hate to think of a nightmare scenario where you dozed off, or she managed to get the balcony door open, etc.

Have you cruised in a balcony with an active child who is too young to understand safety but old enough to get herself into a bad situation? I'm not typically the hyperprotective type of parent, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

weird. a search for "balcony" did not yield anything relevant in the first 3 pages. The first link you sent me is about balcony locks, not about balcony railings/slats. The second link is about railings on deck, not in the cabin. The third link is about choosing cabins in general and specifically about the convenience of a balcony rather than the safety, which issue is not addressed at all.

And so on.

Found: a thread last updated April 08. Will continue there - thanks.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=746174&highlight=balcony+children&page=2

We have taken our almost two year old on three cruises (two with a balcony) and we have two more booked. I was told there were always upper dead bolts on the balcony doors and even if that fails, the door is too heavy for a small child to open. The first time we had a balcony cabin the upper dead bolt was broken. Carnival fixed the dead bolt within a couple of hours, so everything was fine. The second time, everything was as promised. The dead bolt worked and he was unable to even budge the door. Given the choice, I would only cruise with a balcony.

We took our 2 1/2 year old on a cruise this last Sept and had a balcony. The railing was so high compared to her. A toddler would not be able to open the door. We were on Carnival Conquest and leaving in a couple of days for the Disney Wonder. What ship are you going on? I would not worry. I have a picture of my daughter on the balcony and you can see how high the rail is from her. If you would like me to post the picture let me know.

Yep, it's safe. Common sense goes a long way. You wouldn't believe the number of kids I have seen left alone on a balcony. :eek:

So just move the chairs away from the balcony rail. Stress to the child that there is no standing on the chairs, no horse play, etc. No children on the balcony without a parent. And the second that any of the above rules are broken, the child is taken back inside the cabin. ;)

All doors have some kind of lock or child safety mechanism. And the pressure of opening the door is pretty tough. It takes some strength to open those doors.

Every cruise we have a balcony. If not, then I would have to put the kids to bed and then go to bed myself. Not my idea of a good time. ;)

Here are some of our past balconies and the height of the railing in relation to the kids....

Disney Wonder - this year....(my kids are 49" and 40" in this photo) - glass is behind each rail

039.jpg

Carnival Sensation has the lowest railing of any ship we had been on...

IMG_1203.jpg

Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas

IMG_0738.jpg

Of all the things to worry about, I don't think that a balcony should be one. Just remember to not leave her unattended and you won't have any problems. Plus, you'll really get to enjoy it when she's sleeping.

Archived