Most Traveled

Caris

Are you saying that they had both a luncheon and a cocktail party on the same trip?

I thought it was either one or the other. Of course if you weren't invited to both you might never know about the other one.

No. I said, "On my Crown Princess cruise in July, the cut-off was about 275 days.

It depends on the Captain. At just over 200 days, I've been invited to a cocktail party but not to a luncheon. At about 310 days, my sister and BIL are invited whether it's a cocktail party or luncheon."

The 2nd paragraph was "in general," not specific to my Crown Princess cruise which is why I separated my comments into two paragraphs. :)

No. I said, "On my Crown Princess cruise in July, the cut-off was about 275 days.

It depends on the Captain. At just over 200 days, I've been invited to a cocktail party but not to a luncheon. At about 310 days, my sister and BIL are invited whether it's a cocktail party or luncheon."

The 2nd paragraph was "in general," not specific to my Crown Princess cruise which is why I separated my comments into two paragraphs. :)

Which at times might not be enough to qualify. Our friends made it to their first lunch on the Pacific last March and they had 321 days. Those demographics keep changing.

It will be interesting to see what happens on our upcoming B2B, since one is 7 days and the other 18.

It was just wishful thinking.

A little twist on either cocktail party or luncheon.

Just got off the Island Princess last week. They had a cocktail party so we cut dinner short to attend.

On being introduced to the Captain by the Captain's Circle lady I asked the following question to the CC lady while the Capt was present. How do you determine weather to have a Luncheon or Cocktail party. this was her answer and I am paraphrasing. On 7 day cruises we are doing the Cocktail Party on longer ones like 10 or 14 days we are doing the Luncheon.

Not trying to dispute what anyone else has reported just repeating what the lady said. Soon as last suite case is unpacked I will furnish her name if anyone wants it.

Jack

for the still PO'ed

A little twist on either cocktail party or luncheon.

Just got off the Island Princess last week. They had a cocktail party so we cut dinner short to attend.

On being introduced to the Captain by the Captain's Circle lady I asked the following question to the CC lady while the Capt was present. How do you determine weather to have a Luncheon or Cocktail party. this was her answer and I am paraphrasing. On 7 day cruises we are doing the Cocktail Party on longer ones like 10 or 14 days we are doing the Luncheon.

Not trying to dispute what anyone else has reported just repeating what the lady said. Soon as last suite case is unpacked I will furnish her name if anyone wants it.

Jack

for the still PO'ed

That's what happened on our 7 day Ruby last November. A cocktail party. This was the first and only cocktail party we've had in lieu of a luncheon, and it was also the first seven day cruise we have taken in several years.

Last week (Aug. 22-29) on the Diamond Princess, Alaska I 'made the cut' even though I'm still Platinum with only 100 days (before that cruise). I was very surprised to get the invitation - it had never even entered my mind that I might.

We had lunch in the Pacific Moon Dining Room with the main course being a choice of: Baked Alaskan Halibut or Glazed Stuffed Lamb Rack Mediterranean Style.

Last week (Aug. 22-29) on the Diamond Princess, Alaska I 'made the cut' even though I'm still Platinum with only 100 days (before that cruise). I was very surprised to get the invitation - it had never even entered my mind that I might.

We had lunch in the Pacific Moon Dining Room with the main course being a choice of: Baked Alaskan Halibut or Glazed Stuffed Lamb Rack Mediterranean Style.

So now we know that not every 7 day cruise has substituted a cocktail party for a lunch.

[quote name='jennifers490']oh i meant the sea days on the voyage-they tend to do the cocktail party if it's more port intensive :)[/quote]Perhaps although on our British Isles cruise in July (10 ports in 12 days, doesn't get much more port-intensive than that), they did a luncheon. I still think it's up to the Captain regardless of the length of the cruise.

[quote name='coiran']I have seen the cutoff as high as 600 days.

Ron[/quote]
[SIZE=2][B]The 40 most traveled, (by number of days) get invited to the party whether it is the luncheon or the cocktail party. If they do the luncheon they have to have a sea day to do it. Most 7 day cruises do not have a sea day therefore they do the cocktail party. Personally I prefer the luncheon and we are way up there with over 800 days at sea with Princess.
There is not really a cut-off number it just depends on how many well traveled passengers there are on that particular cruise.
Jim..
[/B][/SIZE]

I knew I shouldn't have started reading this thread. I've realised I need to cruise more just to get my day count up, at my current rate it's just not happening and I'll never get an invite. Ooh well I'll just enjoy reading about it for a while......:D

Anthony

[quote name='JIM130'][SIZE=2][B]The 40 most traveled, (by number of days) get invited to the party whether it is the luncheon or the cocktail party. If they do the luncheon they have to have a sea day to do it. Most 7 day cruises do not have a sea day therefore they do the cocktail party. Personally I prefer the luncheon and we are way up there with over 800 days at sea with Princess.
There is not really a cut-off number it just depends on how many well traveled passengers there are on that particular cruise.
Jim..
[/B][/SIZE][/QUOTE]
I have been on over 20 seven day cruises and every one had at least 1 sea day!

Well I am a bit away from this, but hope to make it someday. As a non-drinker I would want the lunch. It annoys me that everything seems to be a cocktail party on a ship. A lot of people dont drink and when they do a special event as a cocktail party, well I have no desire to go. I already get all the soda I can drink with my soda card.

John

JIM130 is right on, the invitation to the luncheon depends on how many Elites are on board. We were high Platinum on our 15 day Panama Canal cruise on the Island and because there were only a few Elite we received the invitation. The Ships Doctor sat at our table and we all had a wonderful time. The luncheon was magnificent !

[quote name='madjohn']Well I am a bit away from this, but hope to make it someday. As a non-drinker I would want the lunch. It annoys me that everything seems to be a cocktail party on a ship. A lot of people dont drink and when they do a special event as a cocktail party, well I have no desire to go. I already get all the soda I can drink with my soda card.

John[/quote]

The cocktail party is not just cocktails; you can have anything you want to drink. The one we had on the Ruby had lots of edibles, but I was mostly interested in the huge shrimp. I OD'd on them. ;)

Archived