Most Traveled

Caris

I have read about the most traveled passenger lunches in Sabatini's and so I thought I'd post about what the Golden just did the week of August 22nd.

I understand that the Alaska cruises are a lot of first time cruisers, but I still was excited to be invited to the 'most traveled' function. I was a little disappointed that it wasn't the lunch but a 'Cocktail party with the captain'.

We had early dining, and the party started at 7:15pm, so we had to let the waiter know we needed to be done by then. It was held in Skywalkers and we got a nice souvenir picture with the Captain. They had quite a nice buffet laid out, but we couldn't even think about it.

We had a couple of martini's and had a nice chat with the head chef and the Dining MD, but mostly the crew talked amongst themselves. I would have rather gotten to experience the lunch.

They did do an Elite and Suite cocktail party every evening in Skywalkers, where they had a special appetizer and drink for around $5.00 I never went as it was right before dinner each night. They delivered the invitation each day telling the drink and appetizer.

They said there were 22 Elites and 156 Platinum on board. That was only my 17th cruise, I can't imagine being invited again for quite a while (unless I go to Alaska again). I am not sure exactly how many are invited, but as you know they go by days and not cruises.

It was a great cruise!

Thanks for the comments on the most traveled lunch/cocktail party. We just got off the Tahitian, and there were 110 Elites out of 670 passengers. Forty get invited to the luncheon/cocktail party. With 197 days, we did not make the cut.

I have read about the most traveled passenger lunches in Sabatini's and so I thought I'd post about what the Golden just did the week of August 22nd.

I understand that the Alaska cruises are a lot of first time cruisers, but I still was excited to be invited to the 'most traveled' function. I was a little disappointed that it wasn't the lunch but a 'Cocktail party with the captain'.

We had early dining, and the party started at 7:15pm, so we had to let the waiter know we needed to be done by then. It was held in Skywalkers and we got a nice souvenir picture with the Captain. They had quite a nice buffet laid out, but we couldn't even think about it.

We had a couple of martini's and had a nice chat with the head chef and the Dining MD, but mostly the crew talked amongst themselves. I would have rather gotten to experience the lunch.

They did do an Elite and Suite cocktail party every evening in Skywalkers, where they had a special appetizer and drink for around $5.00 I never went as it was right before dinner each night. They delivered the invitation each day telling the drink and appetizer.

They said there were 22 Elites and 156 Platinum on board. That was only my 17th cruise, I can't imagine being invited again for quite a while (unless I go to Alaska again). I am not sure exactly how many are invited, but as you know they go by days and not cruises.

It was a great cruise!

We did the Most traveled Luncheon on the Golden in June. It was held in the aft deck 6 dining room. Did they not have the lunch on your cruise?

We've experienced one of those cocktail parties after dinner as well and couldn't eat a thing. It was a nice affair but I also would rather have had the lunch. The crew on our trip did mingle with everyone & made it a point to circulate amongst all the people.

I inquired about how the decision was made as to what event to hold & was told it was strictly up to the Captain. If I had known about the food that was going to be presented I would have skipped dinner altogether. ;)

We did the Most traveled Luncheon on the Golden in June. It was held in the aft deck 6 dining room. Did they not have the lunch on your cruise?

They did not have the lunch, just the cocktail party. It was the same captain that you had, Captain Foster. I'm not sure why it was the party and not the lunch. Captain Foster was one of the funniest captain's I think I've had. His announcements were always very fun to hear, and you could understand him!

They did not have the lunch, just the cocktail party. It was the same captain that you had, Captain Foster. I'm not sure why it was the party and not the lunch. Captain Foster was one of the funniest captain's I think I've had. His announcements were always very fun to hear, and you could understand him!

Yes he was a jokster thats for sure. Sorry to hear you only had the cocktail party. ;)

they did it a few times in the chapel on the golden a few years ago--it had been held in skywalkers before that and the reason i got is that they thought more people would mingle if they were standing around...definitely preferred the skywalkers party--the lunch is nice too but depends on the itinerary and captain's preference

Why are some held as cocktail parties and others as luncheons? I have sat with the Captain at two luncheons but both times as a guest of the most travelled passenger.

From what I have been told, the Captain usually decides if it will be a luncheon or cocktail party.

How many days at sea approx. before one gets invited to such an event?
On my Crown Princess cruise in July, the cut-off was about 275 days.

Why are some held as cocktail parties and others as luncheons? I have sat with the Captain at two luncheons but both times as a guest of the most travelled passenger.
It depends on the Captain. At just over 200 days, I've been invited to a cocktail party but not to a luncheon. At about 310 days, my sister and BIL are invited whether it's a cocktail party or luncheon.

2 of my most memorable were cocktail parties on Sun class ships.

One year, on the Dawn to Alaska the party was in the Ward Room - I think the exclusivity of the location made up for the luncheon. Hot appies and drinks were flowing and a good time was had by all.

Another time, on the Sun Princess Eastern Caribbean the cocktail party was in the Library. After ordering my first Grey Goose martini, I remember having a great chat with the Hotel Director. By the time the hour had passed and we had mixed and mingled, I was on at least my third by the time we floated out of that one. It was nice to see the premium liquor being offered!

Been to both luncheons and cocktail parties, and of course we prefer the luncheons.

We've been to two cocktail parties in a small room near the Captain's quarters that were so crowded you couldn't move. We've also been to two in Skywalkers which were nice, and the latest one was in the card room which was OK.

We've never had any problems with the crew not circulating among the passengers. In fact, at the last one the Captain talked with us for quite a while.

Cut-offs vary according to the cruise demographics. On our Alaska Island Princess cruise in July, there was one lady and her mother who only had 97 days. We were recognized at the Captain Circle party as the third place winners and we only had 284 (I think) days. For most of these, 284 days wouldn't even make the top ten or worse.

On my Crown Princess cruise in July, the cut-off was about 275 days.

It depends on the Captain. At just over 200 days, I've been invited to a cocktail party but not to a luncheon. At about 310 days, my sister and BIL are invited whether it's a cocktail party or luncheon.

Are you saying that they had both a luncheon and a cocktail party on the same trip?

I thought it was either one or the other. Of course if you weren't invited to both you might never know about the other one.

I've sailed 3 times since making Elite. The first time I didn't make the cut for the luncheon. The CC host said that there were over 250 Elite members on the cruise so the cut was pretty high.

The second time we did. Had a nice luncheon the one of the MDR's on the CP. Sat with the hotel director, I forget his name.

Last year, we attended a cocktail party on the CB. It was held in Skywalkers and there were only about 20-25 people in attendance. We had Anytime dining, so time wasn't a factor. DH & I were there for about 30 minutes and Captain Attillio Guerrini comes over and sits down and begins to chat which lasted over 1 hour. We were the last ones to leave.

Needless to say, that was a memorable experience.

Archived