Amsterdam Cabin 2645

mkirch72

Just assigned cabin 2645 on the Amsterdam for the 9/5 cruise. Curious if anyone has any info. It's an inside -- off on it's own with no cabins around it. I'm hoping there's not a large, noisy crew area on the other side of my cabin.

Also -- the length of this cabin runs parallel to the hallway and the deck plan makes it look a little wider and shorter than the typical inside.

Any info on this "loner" cabin would be greatly appreciated.

Interesting....I just looked up your cabin in my book. I have not noticed a cabin off by itself like that before. Looks like there is one right under it on the Dolphin deck too. I will be interested to hear what people say is in that big empty space surrounding you.

This cabin looks to be the mirror image of my favorite cabin on the ship---2619. If so, you'll find it to be larger than other insides, while configured differently.

The closets are separate from each other, with one closet and the one with shelves near the door, and the other against the inside wall. There is no separation between the room and the bathroom, so there's no curtain. This can be important in the middle of the night!

The width of the cabin would have room for the two beds and three nightstands (although there are only two), so it is much wider. You could have a dance floor in front of the loveseat!

The only problem is accessing the drawers under the beds, if the beds are separated. They come too close to the end of the loveseat and the desk, so they can't be opened but a bit. If the beds are together you can open the drawers, but it is a narrow opening to the sides of the bed. The bed will run fore/aft, instead of side to side.

I suspect the white space all around is the funnel.

This cabin looks to be the mirror image of my favorite cabin on the ship---2619. If so, you'll find it to be larger than other insides, while configured differently.

The closets are separate from each other, with one closet and the one with shelves near the door, and the other against the inside wall. There is no separation between the room and the bathroom, so there's no curtain. This can be important in the middle of the night!

The width of the cabin would have room for the two beds and three nightstands (although there are only two), so it is much wider. You could have a dance floor in front of the loveseat!

The only problem is accessing the drawers under the beds, if the beds are separated. They come too close to the end of the loveseat and the desk, so they can't be opened but a bit. If the beds are together you can open the drawers, but it is a narrow opening to the sides of the bed. The bed will run fore/aft, instead of side to side.

I suspect the white space all around is the funnel.

RuthC, would this photo be similar to what you are describing (Minus the window??) it is 2709 (dated 2004 so I know it is older) but trying to visualize for the OP... http://thumb15.webshots.net/s/thumb2/2/36/84/153723684mGzKPL_th.jpg

Edited by IRL_Joanie

RuthC, would this photo be similar to what you are describing (Minus the window??)

The picture was a little small, but that looks to be the usual long cabin, which is rectangular in shape.

When you enter the usual cabins they are in front of you. These sideways cabins are more square, and when you enter, the foot of the beds will be to the side. The entire cabin is oriented to your side as you enter, not in front.

Ruth -- just looked at the deck plan. Looks like your favorite cabin has a little bump out section just to the right when you walk in, which mine does not. It'll be interesting to see how the layout differs.

Thanks again for the info.

• 2 weeks later...

To those above --- time for a follow up. Checked in, cabin was definitely more spacious then your typical cabin. And, although the deck plan did not show it, the cabin also had a bump-out section as well.

HOWEVER -- the noise in this cabin at night when we were going full speed was unbearable. I got about an hour sleep in total, even after I had gone to the front desk at 2am for some ear plugs.

As the engines revved, the room would vibrate and it sounded like sleeping inside a Harley Davidson. Everything shook. To give you an idea, when the engine revved (as it did about once every other minute), you could not hear the television.

I went to the head of Guest Relations the next morning. Her name is Christal. At first she wasn't sure what to do because they were booked solid. However, she then remembered that the Future Cruise Consultant, who had her own cabin, is married to the Cruise Director and doesn't use her cabin. So after a quick phone call, and a quick clean up by the cabin steward, we were moved to another inside cabin (1947)

I told Christal I realize some cabins are louder than others. But I've been on fifteen cruises now and I have never experienced anything like that noise and vibration. I can't believe (or maybe I can) that HAL would continue to sell that cabin to unsuspecting passengers. They must go through that issue every cruise. Even if the passenger were deaf, they could not ignore the entire cabin shaking.

So there it is...my update. And if any HAL corporate sales people are reading this. Please turn that cabin into a storage room or something. It's not fit for sleeping in.

RuthC, would this photo be similar to what you are describing (Minus the window??) it is 2709 (dated 2004 so I know it is older) but trying to visualize for the OP... http://thumb15.webshots.net/s/thumb2/2/36/84/153723684mGzKPL_th.jpg

Joanie , just so you know,,,,you are doing a really good job:)

Colleen

To those above --- time for a follow up. Checked in, cabin was definitely more spacious then your typical cabin. And, although the deck plan did not show it, the cabin also had a bump-out section as well.

HOWEVER -- the noise in this cabin at night when we were going full speed was unbearable. I got about an hour sleep in total, even after I had gone to the front desk at 2am for some ear plugs.

As the engines revved, the room would vibrate and it sounded like sleeping inside a Harley Davidson. Everything shook. To give you an idea, when the engine revved (as it did about once every other minute), you could not hear the television.

I went to the head of Guest Relations the next morning. Her name is Christal. At first she wasn't sure what to do because they were booked solid. However, she then remembered that the Future Cruise Consultant, who had her own cabin, is married to the Cruise Director and doesn't use her cabin. So after a quick phone call, and a quick clean up by the cabin steward, we were moved to another inside cabin (1947)

I told Christal I realize some cabins are louder than others. But I've been on fifteen cruises now and I have never experienced anything like that noise and vibration. I can't believe (or maybe I can) that HAL would continue to sell that cabin to unsuspecting passengers. They must go through that issue every cruise. Even if the passenger were deaf, they could not ignore the entire cabin shaking.

So there it is...my update. And if any HAL corporate sales people are reading this. Please turn that cabin into a storage room or something. It's not fit for sleeping in.

I have a guarantee booking for Christmas, at least now I know which cabin I'll be staying in:p

Edited by pipedreams62

Oh man, what a horrible thing!! Did you take photos and if so can you send them to me along with the full description to INCLUDE the bad so I can post it for others who might be interested in this specific stateroom??? PLEASE

Joanie

Hmm.. I'm concerned after reading this post. Would all inside cabins on the Amsterdam main deck have this vibration/noise issue? :confused: I'm cruising on Amsterdam with my family in May. We purposely booked a couple of mid-ship inside cabins on the main deck for our first-time cruisers in the group (sensitive to motion). Cabins 2593 and 2597 - I think. Has anyone else experienced similar issues?

Thanks!

Hmm.. I'm concerned after reading this post. Would all inside cabins on the Amsterdam main deck have this vibration/noise issue? :confused:

I suspect the problems with this cabin are due to it's location.Take a look at the deck plans---the cabin is in the area of the funnel. I would guess (and a guess is all it is) that the funnel area is a conduit for the noise and vibrations of the engines.

My favorite cabin on the R-class ships is a mid-ship inside, on Main Deck. Although I was upgraded out of it (directly across the passageway) on the Amsterdam, I have stayed in it several times on the other R-class ships, without a difficulty.

Thanks for the info Ruth! :)

I suspect the problems with this cabin are due to it's location.Take a look at the deck plans---the cabin is in the area of the funnel. I would guess (and a guess is all it is) that the funnel area is a conduit for the noise and vibrations of the engines.

My favorite cabin on the R-class ships is a mid-ship inside, on Main Deck. Although I was upgraded out of it (directly across the passageway) on the Amsterdam, I have stayed in it several times on the other R-class ships, without a difficulty.

No cabin photos -- sorry! Description -- as you can see by the deck plan, the length of the cabin runs parallel to the hall. In reality, the cabin is the mirror of 2619, complete with the little bump-out section mentioned in a previous post (on the deck plan, the bumpout section should be on the upper left hand corner of the room). However, this is not reflected on the deck plan.

When you walk in, the bathroom is on the left. On the right along the wall bordering the hallway is the desk and only 2 closets. On the wall opposite the door, there is the sofa. Next to the sofa to the left is the little bumpout I mentioned. It has the table with lamp and storage underneath and clothing hooks. Not much room for anything else. The bed is to the right of the sofa with the head of the bed opposite the desk and closets. There is no sitting chair as in the other cabins, just the little stool under the desk.

Regarding the other inside cabins --- we were reassigned to 1947, also an inside, and it was fine -- no noise.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 years later...
Hmm.. I'm concerned after reading this post. Would all inside cabins on the Amsterdam main deck have this vibration/noise issue? :confused: I'm cruising on Amsterdam with my family in May. We purposely booked a couple of mid-ship inside cabins on the main deck for our first-time cruisers in the group (sensitive to motion). Cabins 2593 and 2597 - I think. Has anyone else experienced similar issues?

Thanks!

This does not seem to be a problem with most of the inside cabins. I do not recall hearing noise complaints about other inside cabins. We always stay in 2619 and it is quiet.

Scott & Karen

We have cruised most often in inside cabins including the Amsterdam and cannot recall a noise problem. In fact we are booked on the Oosterdam in an interior cabin on the main deck this Nov. 2016. Hoping that we can say the same about this cabin.