Southwest to Ft. Lauderdale

Julma

You should be able to log on to southwest and change your reservation to the lower fare which would then in turn leave you with a credit on your account. Then they will email you a voucher for future use with southwest, at least that's what I've done in the past. Vouchers are only good for a year though.. so don't forget to use it or you'll lose it.:)

Thank you. I had to do it on-line. It was easy. Just had to go into Travel Tools and then to Change Reservations and work through it. Took about 3 minutes and now I have a $110 credit....good reason for another trip!!

I did this last year when my flight to LA dropped twice. Just did it via the web sitel

They did not mail me anything. My credit, however, was visible on the site.

We are using the $200+ we saved from the California tickets for our fare to Las Vegas in a couple of weeks.

I love Southwest for this reason too. It is kind of like booking a cruise and staying on top of the price changes. On a cruise it can become OBC...on Southwest it comes travel $ credits!

I just booked on SW yesterday and the fare was $89 FLL to SMF. I didn't book SMF to FLL because the fare was $169 so I thought I would wait and see if it went down. Now I see after two days the fares have skyrocketed. Can anyone tell me why that fare was only for a couple of days and now the fares are all up to $179+:eek:

Vouchers are only good for a year though.. so don't forget to use it or you'll lose it.:)

just be sure to use it or lose it. IIRC, it must be used by 1 year from the date the ticket was originally booked....

And then you must use the credit within one year from the time you booked the original flight.

Keith

I've actually been able to extend my credit by a year, too. This was probably 2-3 years ago so I'm not sure if they still do it, but I called and told them I was not going to be able to use it, and asked if there was anything I could do to extend it. They said if I paid $50 I could extend the credit by a year. So if your future credit is more than $50 and you're not going to be able to use it, it might be worth it to pay the $50 to extend it.

One thing I've learned about booking Southwest--

I don't book it as a roundtrip, but rather two one ways. That way if a fare goes down on one of the legs I don't have to rebook the entire thing.

For instance: Suppose the original prices were $100 each way. That would be a total of $200. But then the fare on one leg went down to $70 but the other half skyrocketed to $160. Rebooking would result in a RT of $230. But if each leg were purchased separately, I could rebook just the fare that went down ($100 to $70). Then my original $100 fare would stay in place and I would have the new $70 fare on the second half. My total would have then dropped to a total of $170.

SW has no sense to adjusting fare prices..they just came out through March..I'm looking for SMF to FLL r/t 1/22/2010 return 2/30/2010.. Tuesday I grabbed a $89 pp FLL to SMF, but the SMF to FLL was all $179, so I grabbed one way only. Wed all fares went up to $179 for several weeks in front and behind my departure date..so today two of the four flights on the Friday I want went back to $89 fares, but not the early one I'm looking for..but the day before, Thurs has the $89 fare at the early flight I want....wondering if I should grab it and pay for a hotel one extra night? There are four of us and the savings is significant over other airlines averaging $269 pp plus luggage ($100 pp r/t)

SW r/t @$89 for 4 is $910, while other airlines average $1466 with luggage.

Originally I booked roundtrip for my husband and myself. Our flight down went down in price and our flight home went up. I changed our flight down, leaving our flight home. So you really don't have to book them one way, just change the flight you want. SW is very consumer friendly.

I just booked on SW yesterday and the fare was $89 FLL to SMF. I didn't book SMF to FLL because the fare was $169 so I thought I would wait and see if it went down. Now I see after two days the fares have skyrocketed. Can anyone tell me why that fare was only for a couple of days and now the fares are all up to $179+:eek:

Does the term supply and demand mean anything to you ;) ?

One thing I've learned about booking Southwest--

I don't book it as a roundtrip, but rather two one ways. That way if a fare goes down on one of the legs I don't have to rebook the entire thing.

For instance: Suppose the original prices were $100 each way. That would be a total of $200. But then the fare on one leg went down to $70 but the other half skyrocketed to $160. Rebooking would result in a RT of $230. But if each leg were purchased separately, I could rebook just the fare that went down ($100 to $70). Then my original $100 fare would stay in place and I would have the new $70 fare on the second half. My total would have then dropped to a total of $170.

I always book r/t on SWA and always change just one leg of the trip if the price drops. It gives you the option online to change any portion of the r/t and you don't have to cancel and rebook. I have made at least 4 changes to our r/t in Oct which for us has resulted in a nice credit for future use.

Does the term supply and demand mean anything to you ;) ?

supply and demand would provide a logical answer for the rise in price if the demand was constant and the supply diminished..yesterday the price dropped back down to $89 for 2 of the four flights for that date.

I always book r/t on SWA and always change just one leg of the trip if the price drops. It gives you the option online to change any portion of the r/t and you don't have to cancel and rebook. I have made at least 4 changes to our r/t in Oct which for us has resulted in a nice credit for future use.

Yep, same here. You do NOT have to book two one-ways.

I did grab those two $89 fares SMF/FLL, and I'm thinking it makes sense to grab the other two regardless of the price and then rebook them if the price drops..that way I'm assured of having 4 seats on the same plane:D

I will get the Early bird options for all four fares both ways.

I have 2 questions for those of you that fly SWA frequently:confused:

Is there no charge to change a flight once it is booked online?

Also I am claustrophobic and need an aisle seat, has anyone paid the extra $10pp for early boarding so I can assure an aisle seat???

Thanx in advance, BarbP

I didn't realize you could rebook one leg and leave the price of the other leg intact! Thanks for clueing me in!:o

Archived