Question about cruising to Alaska

lglaser600

Is a balcony worth the money or will an oceanview be okay?

Thank you

Alaska was my first cruise so we had an inside. I think it would depend on if you like your privacy or don't mind being out on deck with others to see the beauty of Alaska. I personally enjoyed being out on the deck. Enjoy, I can't wait to go back someday.:)

We were on an Alaska cruise last month and we had an extended balcony on the starboard side. I highly recommend having one. We were on our balcony a lot on our two days at sea and when we sailed away from port every night (that is a stretch as it did not get dark until about 10:30). We did go on the top deck, especially on the last sea day when we stopped to see the Glacier, but we also used our balcony a lot.

I was in Alaska last week on another cruise line and we had a Ocean view. I thought this was fine. You really want to be on the Lido deck to take pictures. My parents had a balcony and liked it but they only took a few pictures from there. You need to decide if it's worth the money. I do prefer to be up a few decks like 5 or 6 as opposed to deck 1 or 2. Just like to be closer to the action on the ship.

I went to Alaska in June and it was one of the best cruises I have been on. What I enjoyed the most was you could see land most of the time. I had an inside room and spent alot of time on deck. But if I get to go again I would want a balcony.

Hope you have a great time. It is beautiful.

I took an Alaskan cruise several years ago with a balcony. We reached the first glacier and the balcony was on the wrong side so I went up to the deck and it was wall to wall people with no really opportunities for good pictures. The Captain then nicely turned the boat around so I went back to the balcony and it was fantastic.

Sailed to Alaska twice (on other cruise lines), both times in a window....and I am usually in a balcony cabin elsewhere. We like to be up on the lido to hear what the naturalist has to say about the area, but still need a window to see out while we are in our cabin. Planning another Alaska trip next summer and have booked a window again.

Because it is light out so early a bALCONY is a Must . I was in pyjamas with hat coat and scarf filming college Fjord before 5 AM when we neared it .We had private viewing of all the sites and could still hear the Naturalist describe it all.It was truly enjoyable The Naturalist came on much later so I enjoyed the quiet of all the Glaciers on my balcony with my early morning coffee from room service .Try it you will like it

Michele

When we cruise, I normally book either an inside room or an oceanview. On our cruise to Alaska we booked a balcony and absolutely loved it! It was definitely worth the extra money!!

Cruising the inside passage, there is so much to see. We spent many hours sitting and watching the scenery as we floated by the different views: the contrast of the white mountain-tops to the stunningly green of the land....the different animals in the ocean from whales to sea otters to dolphins...the abundance of eagles floating in the air and so much more that we were able to see with a front row view as it were..

Yes, you can spend the time up on deck and see the same things - but we loved the ambiance of sitting on our own balcony without the hassle of juggling for a spot next to the railing to get a good picture or to see something interesting.

I am perfectly happy to have an inside or an oceanview when I am in the Caribbean - but Alaska is one place I will always book a balcony!

I would strongly recommend a balcony. We have cruised Alaska twice and had a balcony both times (we almost always have a balcony tho...). There is so much to see, I think if you are considering the extra cost, this would be the time to do it.

I did not have a balcony, and didn't miss it. It was very cold, and I doubt I would have used it much. I liked sitting at a window table near the lounge. That way I could hear the piano man or the man with his guitar sing. It was very relaxing. When the naturalist would come on with a sighting of wildlife, I could run outside quickly. When I did go outside for a day of glacier viewing, I liked to be on the highest deck so that I could get a 360 view, you can't get that from a balcony.

I did an inside to save money, it worked fine for me. I saved on the room so I could splurge on excursions.

Okay my two cents,

there are alot of variables to a balcony, one I went with my dad in 2004 he had been diagnosed with cancer so the balcony was the only way I was sure that he would get to see things, I have pictures of him sitting out there with his binoculars 24/7. i than went again with my hubby two years ago and again booked a mini suite so we would have the balcony, I really questioned it as my hubby has diabetes and always seems to be cold they than upgraded us to a full vista suite and without a question the balcony was amazing, but he said he would not cruise again without a balcony.

it can have it's down sides, sometimes in the glacier area to get the full experience you should be on one of the top decks, but there is something to be said about sitting on your private balcony sipping hot tea or coffee in the morning. I always look at it as....if I only have so long to live would I get myself a balcony or suite??? and you BETCHA I would. Life is too short. No Matter what choice you make you will enjoy and alaskan cruise.:D

Is a balcony worth the money or will an oceanview be okay?

Thank you

For me, it would be the one cruise I would splurge and pay for the best balcony cabin I could afford. Alaskan cruises are all about the scenery and even the sounds. This is "the one". Splurge. You won't be sorry!

I have cruised Alaska without a balcony and the next cruise we do to Alaska (if we go again) - Balcony is a must! When waiting to see the glaciers, the hours in the cold - to be able to sit in your room and enjoy would be awesome. And yes they turn the boat if you are on the wrong side.

Archived