corkage fee????

delidan

When you go through securty inform them that you have wine you are bringing on board. They will take a look at it so they know it just wine and not hard liquor. Once they pass you though you go to pay for the corkage fee ($15 each bottle) they put a sticker on the bottle and you can have in your room or take it to dinner with you.

What, you have to PAY a corkage fee for a bottle of wine if you bring it on and drink it in your room?:confused:

Yep. It really should be called an "onboard consumption fee" much like RCI used to charge when they allowed us to buy a bottle of liquor in the duty free shop onboard and then pay an onboard consumption fee to take it back to our cabins instead of holding it until disembarkation day.

Interesting thought, if you only have to pay a $15.00 fee, with today's cheaper wines, what if the contents were swapped out with some really good vodka, instead of a white wine? Could save about $85.00.:)

Um, if you can figure out how to fully recork and refoil the bottle, I suppose so. But if you mention it here enough times, you should know that the cruise line will likely "catch on" to a new "sneak" and might stop allowing passengers to bring wine onboard at all. And there will be many, many, many people quite upset that some would go to such lengths to sneak alcohol onboard that they made it so that no one could bring wine for onboard consumption.

beachchick

What, you have to PAY a corkage fee for a bottle of wine if you bring it on and drink it in your room?:confused:

Yes and many are glad they allow it. Some lines do not allow ANY WINE at any price.

Many restaurants that allow you to bring outside wine also charge a corkage fee. If you do not want to pay it, you can just buy your wine onboard. Bottles start around $27 or so.

Yes and many are glad they allow it. Some lines do not allow ANY WINE at any price..

I am one of those who am glad they allow this.

Throughout the year, I purchase and cellar good quality, not inexpensive wines.

When I cruised from my local port (NYC), I went to my cellar and choose 4 of the wines that were ready and at their peak.

Although there were some decent wines available at not outrageous prices (compared to restaurants prices, not retail), I was glad I had the bottles I brought.

I read somewhere that you can bring your own wine on board and pay a corkage fee as soon as you board. Has anyone done this and how did it workout??????????????

Yes, you pay $15.00 per bottle, they place a sticker on the bottle and you can take it with you to any restaurant where the waiter will take care of it for you. (He/she will bring wine glasses to the table and open the bottle for you).

Um, if you can figure out how to fully recork and refoil the bottle, I suppose so. But if you mention it here enough times, you should know that the cruise line will likely "catch on" to a new "sneak" and might stop allowing passengers to bring wine onboard at all. And there will be many, many, many people quite upset that some would go to such lengths to sneak alcohol onboard that they made it so that no one could bring wine for onboard consumption.

beachchick

I would be sad if that happened....

But, I have made wine at one of the commercial facilities--where they buy the grapes and provide all the facilities--so if you owned one of them, or had a close friend who did, it could be done, I guess:eek: Or if you work in a winery.....

BTW--the corking machine and foiler are two separate machines. I believe it was be cost prohibitive for the average booze smuggler to buy!!!:rolleyes:

:confused: I am a bit surprised, as we sailed on Celebrity last year. We could bring on 2 bottle of wine no charge, for consumption in the stateroom. Also we could order a bottle of liquor and mixers for the room. It was nice to sit on the balcony and have a glass of wine or a cocktail before heading out for the evening.

:confused: I am a bit surprised, as we sailed on Celebrity last year. We could bring on 2 bottle of wine no charge, for consumption in the stateroom. Also we could order a bottle of liquor and mixers for the room. It was nice to sit on the balcony and have a glass of wine or a cocktail before heading out for the evening.

Why are you suprised? :confused:

Celebrity is Celebrity and NCL is NCL.

Each cruise line has different rules. Now you know the rules of both. :D

From the Terms and Conditions:

The Guest further understands and agrees that any alcoholic beverages purchased ashore shall not be brought or consumed aboard the vessel under any circumstances, but shall be delivered to the vessel's crew at the gangway to be retained by the Carrier until the Guest disembarks at the end of the voyage. The Guest assumes all responsibility for complying with any applicable customs or import laws relating to any such purchase.

Thats for sure....when getting off in Kona, my friends who live there gave me a liquor miniture lei....so cute....when I tried to board the ship, lei around my neck, it was snatched by security....:mad:....the dreadful miniture lei was held with the big bottles in holding cells.....LOL.....:p

I would be sad if that happened....

But, I have made wine at one of the commercial facilities--where they buy the grapes and provide all the facilities--so if you owned one of them, or had a close friend who did, it could be done, I guess:eek: Or if you work in a winery.....

BTW--the corking machine and foiler are two separate machines. I believe it was be cost prohibitive for the average booze smuggler to buy!!!:rolleyes:

Ah, that's what I should do then. We live in one of CA's premier wine regions and have friends who are vintners. I could just take some hard liquor over during bottling and have it swapped in instead of the wine. Nah, guess not. (I actually do know about how wines are bottled/corked/foiled/labeled and didn't mean that an average booze sneak would have the means or even know where to buy the appropriate machines. OTOH, as more wineries switch to screw tops for at least some of their wines, we could try doing it that way and re-capping the bottles....)

beachchick

When you go through securty inform them that you have wine you are bringing on board. They will take a look at it so they know it just wine and not hard liquor. Once they pass you though you go to pay for the corkage fee ($15 each bottle) they put a sticker on the bottle and you can have in your room or take it to dinner with you.

We have never taken wine aboard (always order liquor - bar set-up). We are sailing from New York to Bermuda in October and a couple with us would like to bring 2 magnums of wine with them.

After passing security and showing them the wine, where do you go next to pay the corkage fee? Will the fee be more because the wines are magnums?

Also, it has been mentioned on the boards about wine packages you can buy once on board. Do all cruises have them (Dawn)? Where exactly is the table that you can do this. Is it only the first day? Do you have to do this imediately? What is the timeframe?

We usually head straight to the main dining room for lunch - purchase a bottle of wine and have it tagged for use at other restaurants.:D But that's us and our friends are looking to us for advice.

Thank you for any specifics.

I cruised on the Pearl in November and took 2 magnums. They only charged me a 15.00 corkage fee on each one. I had read on the boards that others were charged 30.00 for the magnums, so it may depend on whoever is behind the little wine table at NCL. The table was set up just the other side of the x-ray machines in Miami and an older lady was handling the corkage fees.

Carole

I cruised on the Pearl in November and took 2 magnums. They only charged me a 15.00 corkage fee on each one. I had read on the boards that others were charged 30.00 for the magnums, so it may depend on whoever is behind the little wine table at NCL. The table was set up just the other side of the x-ray machines in Miami and an older lady was handling the corkage fees.

Carole

The latest T&Cs and Welcome package say absolutely no alcohol can be brought on board for consumption on board.

The latest T&Cs and Welcome package say absolutely no alcohol can be brought on board for consumption on board.

I believe they say that, but from what I've read they don't include wine as 'alcohol'. I know that's not very exacting, but I'd rather bring wine onboard than hold them to their statement!

Carole

Thank you for your reply. Does anyone know if it's the same from New York? Hope we have the "right" person behind the little table. :eek:

Archived