How to book your Cruise? 3rd Party Website or through Cruiseline?

Kill@B3E

Hello,

I am a first time cruiser, hoping to cruise from Galveston in late November or early December (Voyager of the Seas or Carnival Conquest). I've been doing some research and have noticed that there are a ton of cruise websites that offer great deals on cruises. Has anyone ever used one of these websites or do you usually just book your cruise through the cruise line?

If you've used these 3rd party websites, could you please let me know which ones you've used and your experiences with them?

Thanks in advance,

Kill@B3E

Hello,

I am a first time cruiser, hoping to cruise from Galveston in late November or early December (Voyager of the Seas or Carnival Conquest). I've been doing some research and have noticed that there are a ton of cruise websites that offer great deals on cruises. Has anyone ever used one of these websites or do you usually just book your cruise through the cruise line?

If you've used these 3rd party websites, could you please let me know which ones you've used and your experiences with them?

Thanks in advance,

Kill@B3E

Sorry, but board guidelines prohibit us from discussing specific travel agents/booking engines, either in a good or bad light.

I have booked both thru the cruiseline and thru a brick and mortar T/A here in the area.

Check both and go with the best deal.

Some cruise lines (including Princess) allow TA's to discount prices. From these, you can often get a nice break off the lines price. Other lines (such as RCCL) do not let TA's discount. Some TA's will instead offer On board credit or some other benefits.

Sorry, but board guidelines prohibit us from discussing specific travel agents/booking engines, either in a good or bad light.

I have booked both thru the cruiseline and thru a brick and mortar T/A here in the area.

Sorry, I guess I didn't read the guidelines thoroughly enough, I do appoligize.

If you could just tell me about your experiences with each, that would be great, I'll go from there.

Thanks,

Sorry, I guess I didn't read the guidelines thoroughly enough, I do appoligize.

If you could just tell me about your experiences with each, that would be great, I'll go from there.

Thanks,

I have had favorable experiences thru both booking methods. I did find that I have been able to get better pricing and excellent customer service thru an agency affiliated with a large national auto-affiliated group to which I belong.

I check pricing both thru the cruiseline and thru the T/A. One year, when I had booked directly with HAL, the agency price dropped by some $500/person and HAL was unable to match that price. So I transferred the booking to that agency. I still compare pricing, but I am more apt to book thru that agency. I do keep my eye on price drops, prior to final payment, and always have gotten fare reductions when prices have dropped.

One important thing: if you work with an agency, make sure your credit card is processed on behalf of the cruiseline and not the agency itself ... to protect yourself and your vacation plans. Many horror stories out there.

Check out this Cruise Critic article to help you decide on an agent. Finding a Cruise Travel Agent

We do not permit discussions of specific agents on Cruise Critic.

You will also find a bunch of good info by checking out this:

Resources for First Time Cruisers

I have booked all of my cruises directly with the cruiselines. If you willing to do your homework and want to be able to contact the cruiseline directly, then you should be fine. However, if you not internet savvy then I recommend that you go through a travel agency.

Part of my job is event planning and corporate retreats. So, booking directly is the best option for me since I am a control freak.:D

I just book with the cruise line. If there is a problem, and you've booked through a TA, then you just get a bunch of finger pointing....TA says it's the cruiseline....cruiseline says it's the TA. If you book directly, then there's no middleman and no fingerpointing.

I have booked a couple times through local agency, also booked with internet based agencies and directly through the cruise line.

For us- Local agency = no discount or perks

Internet based= OBC

Direct= obc because I booked while on a cruise

My current cruise is booked with cruise line and the nice thing about it is if I see a price change I call them direct and don't have to go through any one else. I love researching the ports and travel in general and I am also very computer literate so I don't really need a TA for those things.

I think it depends on what services you need or expect. If you are comfortable with your own research and skills than you probably would be comfortable booking on your own.

Make sure you ask questions if you go through a third party about extra fees, etc. Sometimes the "deals" are not as good as they first look and are much more restrictive than booking through the cruiseline. Look at the cruiseline first as a basis, find out the final cost with taxes and fees, then compare with other agencies. Ask about booking fees, extra cancellation fees, ticketing fees, etc.

Archived