Glacier Point Wilderness Safari and W.P. RR in one day???

SunnyCal

Hi Everyone,

We will be on the Sun Princess June 27th. In Skagway, we would like to do the Glacier Point Wilderness Safari from 8:00-1:30. That leaves only the 4:30pm trip on the White Pass Railroad (3.5 hours long according to Princess booklet). With the ship departing at 8:00pm, do we have time get back to the boat. I am nervous about cutting it so close. Princess won't let me see their lists of excursions until 120 days before our cruise. I am trying to pre-plan and make many of the difficult decisions soon. We want to experience a canoe or raft trip. If we can't do both these excursions in Skagway, can someone recommend either the Orca Beach Rainforest Adventure or the Rainforest Canoe Adventure in Ketchikan? I am trying to book some things directly, so if anyone has other options besides those in the Princess book, I am interested.

Thanks for sharing your experience and wisdom.

Lansingisland,

I can't remember where I found the times for the Glacier Point Wilderness Safari. I have been on many websites and the visitors guides for each port. Somewhere along the way, I wrote 8:00-1:30 next to that excursion in my notes. I will try to figure out the source. I'm pretty sure it is correct though, since the 5.5 hour duration is right, and lunch is served. The problem is that the White Pass RR leaves at 8:15 am and 12:45 pm. On Mon. thru Thurs, it has an additional run at 4:30 pm. I am wondering if Princess won't give us that option to book, as it cuts too close to the 800pm departure time. The representative at Princess told me to plan on being back at the ship 30-40 minutes before the posted departure time. With the RR taking 3.5 hours, it will be a tight squeeze.

We are in Skagway for 15 hours, yet I am having a difficult time fitting in two excursions. I guess that three hours from 5:00am-8:00am isn't great for scheduling.

SunnyCal

We took the first Glacier Point excursion that left at 8:00 and got back in plenty of time to tour the town of Skagway. It's just a short walk from where you dock. Then we took the "To the Summit" excursion by van and got back just in time to board at 5:30.

These pictures aren't mine, but I found them on google and they do give you a pretty good idea of the train and glacier point excursions. Good Luck.

http://www.preyerplanning.com/alaska/skagway.htm

If Princess is offering the late train option you should be able to do it -- but if not defintely wouldn't chance it since they won't wait if you for some reason are late. Another option might be to try to rent car from 2-7pm. and go to Emerald Lake. Check Avis website to see when the office in Skagway is open in 2005 (it may not be "exact" hours it was open in '04).. We have reserved car in Skagway through the website even though on0site office doesn't open till May. There is another car rental agency, Sourdough Rentals, in Skagway, have read mixed reviews.

the office in Skagway is open in 2005 (it may not be "exact" hours it was open in '04).. We have reserved car in Skagway through the website even though on0site office doesn't open till May. There is another car rental agency, Sourdough Rentals, in Skagway, have read mixed reviews.[/color]

There is also PB cruisers for rentals, I haven't heard negative reviews about Sourdough for a few years. I would look at all three companies.

Thanks for the suggestions. My husband is REALLY interested in the train and it is high on my list too. I think I'll keep my fingers crossed that Princess gives us the 4:30 White Pass RR option. In case it doesn't, I will come up with a "plan B" for the Glalcier Point Wilderness Safari. All five of us are wanting to experience a canoe or float. Does anyne know of an afternoon excursion along those lines. That way we could do the 8:15 am train, followed by a water activity.

SunnyCal

Thanks for the suggestions. My husband is REALLY interested in the train and it is high on my list too. I think I'll keep my fingers crossed that Princess gives us the 4:30 White Pass RR option. In case it doesn't, I will come up with a "plan B" for the Glalcier Point Wilderness Safari. All five of us are wanting to experience a canoe or float. Does anyne know of an afternoon excursion along those lines. That way we could do the 8:15 am train, followed by a water activity.

SunnyCal

We went with just one other couple and a guide on a hike along the Chilkoot Trail from near Dyea for about 2 miles and then a gorgeous "float" back down the river. It took about 3.5 hours from Skagway.. you could do the train in the a.m. and this easily in the p.m.

Hi Caroline,

Thanks again. I did some research on this excursion, and it looks great for us. I think we will try the train in the morning and a hike and float in the afternoon. Sounds like a perfect day!

SunnyCal

Archived