Saltwater Pools?

MTJSR

I have cruised twice. Sitmar Fairsea had salt water pools and the Grand Princess had fresh. Do ships in today's modern fleets still have salt water pools? And why would they?:eek:

All Princess ships, except for the Pacific/Royal/Ocean(Tahitian) sisters have fresh water pools. If I had to guess, I'd say that some cruise lines use salt water because it's just easier to maintain. Just pump in sea water and you're done. Fresh water pools have to filled from the ship's fresh water tanks and it takes time and energy to desalinate sea water. I'm glad Princess believes that fresh water in their pools is worth the effort.

I had no idea the smaller older princess ships had saltwater pools. An ocean is one thing but a pool is another, I'll sail on the newer ships.

Keep in mind that the smaller ships were not built for Princess, but were the ships that sailed on the now defunct Renaissance Cruise line. I would guess this is part of the reason they have only salt water pools, they were not built with the extra capability to fill pools with desalinated sea water as the larger ships were. ;)

Even though salt water is very strong on my eyes and hurts them I am not swimming underwater on cruise ships or needing to open my eyes underwater. I love the salt water cause of the buoyancy and how great the salt water is for your skin! It's like a free spa treatment.

All Princess ships, except for the Pacific/Royal/Ocean(Tahitian) sisters have fresh water pools. If I had to guess, I'd say that some cruise lines use salt water because it's just easier to maintain. Just pump in sea water and you're done. Fresh water pools have to filled from the ship's fresh water tanks and it takes time and energy to desalinate sea water. I'm glad Princess believes that fresh water in their pools is worth the effort.
As they explained during my Ultimate Ship's Tour when this question was asked, if the ship has salt-water pools, they have to have special piping that is expensive to install and maintain. They'd rather maintain the water than the piping.

We prefer salt water pools, its what we have at home here in toronto and everyones putting them in, Its also better for the environment!

Residential pools with salt chlorine generators are nothing like sea water pools. The salinity in sea water pools is much higher.

Mike:)

I will be in plenty of salt water while snorkeling at Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Princess Cays and Hondoras. The freshwater pool on the Crown will be a blessing. I just can't wait until 11/14 so I can get the party started. I do plan on most of the time being in the pool or hot tub on sea days.

I will be in plenty of salt water while snorkeling at Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Princess Cays and Hondoras. The freshwater pool on the Crown will be a blessing. I just can't wait until 11/14 so I can get the party started. I do plan on most of the time being in the pool or hot tub on sea days.

Hey, I'm with you on the fresh water pools, but have to ask, since we are on Crown in January to those ports, where are the shore excursions for Roatan? They are unlisted still.

But fresh water pools is the main reason we went to Princess.

Archived