7 Observations from First Time HAL Cruiser

misskef

Seven Observations first time cruiser with HAL--Took the Rotterdam from Rotterdam to Copenhagan August 21 to September 4th. I LOVED the ports and the cities (will post our doings on the other board) and in this way our experience exceeded our expectations but sadly the onboard one left me flat and I will not sail with HAL again. I think we had the wrong ship in the fleet for our first experience. Thank you to the posters on this board for your insight and wisdom.

Observation #1: The STAFF RANKS WITH THE BEST: This was only my second cruise, QE2 being the first which is known for it’s service. I think the people with a few minor exceptions, were fantastic. They were the nicest, more earnest and helpful set of folks I’ve encountered in the service industry for a long time. Always saying hello, always smiling, anxiously trying to fix any problems or mistakes. I think on our sailing there was a 1:2 staff to guest ratio.

Observation #2:SEARCH THESE BOARDS FOR TIPS AND CONSOLIDATE THEM: The contributors to this board rocked as an info source, I learned so much that would have made our cruise challenging. Soda cards, free coffee, bringing on water, the secret bench on the back of the ship, packing a carry on, etc.. Searching by question I dumped the answers about ship life into a word file along with the same from the excursion boards. These tips saved us so much time and money and allowed us NOT to do ship excursions and have a ship tab under $500 for two weeks even with drinks.

Observation #3: THE AGE DEBATE ISN’T REALLY A DEBATE: HAL’s ships appear to be for the young at heart. We’re in our late 30s and everyone was minimum of 20-40 years older than we were. We met some fantastic people who were just that, young at heart and were fantastic dinner companions. Since we were the first people off the ship every day (think 7am) we were glad to have it be quiet at night to sleep. The ship made one attempt to get younger people together. So if you’re looking for more activity beyond ring toss and chipping contests into the pool, this probably isn’t for you. That said, there was never a problem getting a later dinner table, there was never a line at the bar, and security was never an issue. All plusses in my book.

Observation #4: DON’T TAKE ONE OF HALS OLDER SHIPS: I probably should have done more research but was thrilled with the Rotterdam’s itinerary so I overlooked it. This ship was SO OUTDATED which completely countered their “luxurious excellence claim.” Things just didn’t work and since they’re dry docking the ship they didn’t care to fix them—our DVD player was broken, lights didn’t work in our cabin, dry cleaning services weren’t available, laundry machines were broken, there was mold and scuff marks in various (walls, floors, etc.), stained carpets. Our linens were so worn they had HOLES in them. No I’m not kidding. We would call to get things fixed and they would ignore it until we called again. Wake up call system didn’t work on critical at shore days like St. Petersburg (a conspiracy theorist would say it’s because we weren’t on their excursion).

Observation #5 THEY SHOULD CALL A SPADE A SPADE: I hate to say it, they outright lied at times. I wished they would just be honest. 1) They cut advertised shore time in more than half of our ports (up to 3 hours) claiming “daylight” was an issue coming in and out of the channels. We met folks from other ships in port who left HOURS after we did. Really, it was because the cruise director wanted to do live commentary on the way out. 2) They told people without ship excursions Russian immigration requested an order. This isn’t true—Russia could care less who you’re going with as long as you’ve got the visa or the tour visa. 3) They claimed that the water wasn’t deep enough for us to dock in downtown Helsinki and “cruise ships haven’t done it for 14 years” leaving us an hour’s walk from downtown (or $20 on a HAL shuttle of course). Yet there were ships larger than us parked right at the Helsinki market and even the captain admitted it was his first time in the commercial shipping port (not the cruise port) in all his years sailing for HAL. Just admit it, you got the worst slot in port and you're going to profit off of it.

Observation #6: GET OUT YOUR NICKELS AND DIMES: $20 extra for the pinnacle grill (the only place they don’t overcook salmon if you're a pescatarian), $3 for an outdated DVD—I’m not kidding, $3 min for a decent cup of coffee if you don’t want to hike all the way up to the lido. Any age group programming $10-15 each time. Seriously, charge up front and be done with it. They put us in an accessible cabin which we did not request (30 somethings in a ship full of 70 somethings) and when we asked to switch (showerhead too low and mold in the shower from the lack of draining severly aggrevated my allergies) they said—“we’re overbooked but if something comes free you can have it if you pay the difference." Really? I don't need a better cabin, just one that doesn't make me sick or put us at accident risk.

Observation #7: SOMEONE HAS A SENSE OF HUMOR: We’re movie fans and the timing of their films was funny. The first day “A Perfect Storm” (hmmmm) and after Germany “Valkerie.” (yikes) Each night for the fixed dinner seating a string quartet would play—I kid you not the first night it was the concerto the quartet on deck played in the movie Titanic as the ship was sinking. Hilarious…

Interesting comments.

Sorry the ship and interior obviously need to be send to a refurbishing. We did a Maasdam cruise a month or so after it had received the upgrade of excellence and although it also is an older ship everything worked and our bed linens didn't have holes in them.

It is also a shame you got "lied" to by the ship personnel. Obviously they decided to save money by docking further from town or HAL waited too long to pay to get one of the better bething slots. I'm not sure about the leaving ports early. We have never had that happen on any of our cruises and on a cruise like you were on the ports are the reason for the cruise. Therefore I agree I also would have been upset about losing 2 or 3 hours of port times.

Unfortunately the charging extra for things that should be included in the cost of the cruise has become standard with all cruise lines except for the really high cost cruise lines (Seabourn, Sea Dream, Crystal, Regent Seven Seas and Silverseas). The better restaurants are extra as is "decent" coffee. The one I get most upset about is charging as much as they do for their slow internet access. I won't use it unless I absolutely have to (i.e. to print out airline boarding passes 24 hours before boarding the plane). Given the internet links are there they could almost give it away since by now they have long since paid for the infrastructure. But as I said earlier this is the same on all the cruise lines we have been on so HAL isn't the only one doing it.

Finally I agree that if you are going to sail on HAL except an older clientel but also one that still enjoys life and is generally a fun group even if they mostly go to bed early.

Hope you decide to try HAL again and have a great cruise whatever cruise line you take.

Observation #7: SOMEONE HAS A SENSE OF HUMOR: We’re movie fans and the timing of their films was funny. The first day “A Perfect Storm” (hmmmm) and after Germany “Valkerie.” (yikes) Each night for the fixed dinner seating a string quartet would play—I kid you not the first night it was the concerto the quartet on deck played in the movie Titanic as the ship was sinking. Hilarious…

That is too funny.

Yes, I knew about the Pinnacle charge in advance. I really just didn't think we would need to go since the food got really good write ups--it was a long cruise and while there were several options for those who didn't eat meat, my husband was going to jump ship if his salmon was overcooked again. Pinnacle cooked it perfectly. I would argue it was worth the $20 for the service and the food there once we went.

We may look into other lines but I'm ALL ABOUT the ports first and foremost--if HAL does the Black Sea or a complete antartica trip (shore landings) I may be back...but research the ship better.Not for this board (the No Europe one) but cruising was really the smartest way to hit the cities we did with the least cost and stress. I stand by that decision and believe it really was a smart one.

I could be wrong, but I don't think where you docked had anything to do with HAL being cheap. It has to do with the number of ships that are in Helsinki and who gets there first.

Here's a paragraph from Captain Albert's visit to Helsinki earlier this summer.

"Helsinki has several cruise terminals spread over the city. Most of them are near the South harbour and used for the smaller ships. The larger ships are normally delegated to a terminal further out (West Harbour) where you need a shuttle service to get to town. So it pays off again to be a smaller ship as we were docking in the South Harbour together with the Regatta which is about the same size. The Norwegian Jewel and Seven Seas Voyager were at the West harbour. The rest of the South Harbour was taken up by ferries; at one moment four at the same time, that kept coming and going throughout the day. We arrived under glorious sunshine at cruise dock ERA and after the normal “discussions” with the linesmen about the location (this time there was at least 7 feet in the meter for positioning) we were parked happily for the day."

My 'older' eyes had a hard time reading your tiny font.

Thank you for your comments.... I wish it was easier for us folks over 50 to read. :D

There are often navigational reasons for leaving port earlier than expected. Could have been many reasons about which you have no knowledge.

Happy your ports were so wonderful and balanced some of your disappointments.

Hope your next ship is more to your liking.

Thanks for posting.

You were so right - the 'stories' about why things are wrong are so laughable whichever ship you choose.

We had such mold in the bathroom shower curtain that I had to take it off and put it in the corridor after 3 days of complaints. Then we got a new one after that.

I go for the ports, whomever will take me there - so we overlook alot.

Thanks, MaryAnn

Yes, I knew about the Pinnacle charge in advance. I really just didn't think we would need to go since the food got really good write ups--it was a long cruise and while there were several options for those who didn't eat meat, my husband was going to jump ship if his salmon was overcooked again. Pinnacle cooked it perfectly. I would argue it was worth the $20 for the service and the food there once we went.

We may look into other lines but I'm ALL ABOUT the ports first and foremost--if HAL does the Black Sea or a complete antartica trip (shore landings) I may be back...but research the ship better.Not for this board (the No Europe one) but cruising was really the smartest way to hit the cities we did with the least cost and stress. I stand by that decision and believe it really was a smart one.

I totally agree with you that cruising to hit European ports/less stress etc - And I love your sense of humor.

A comment tho, on ages. YOU remark that it was a longer cruise/in Europe -Those cruises on MOST lines would have a preponderence of older people just for THAT itinerary and the costs involved [ and you were right- HAL probably does it better there! They do!]

IF you are cruising to Alaska or the Caribbean or Mexico -shorter/cheaper cruises -you will fit the most working/younger/parents/shorter vacation-time set -So ANY cruieline will supply that younger demographics.

I'm glad you had a GREAT time & loved the crew -WE do TOO! We're older and retired so the LONGER itineraries for us -and the most exotic -are a DELIGHT! [ Just you WAIT -it JUST gets better!]

It is refreshing to read what you wrote- and THANK you! Hope to see you on a HAL cruise one of these days!

Anne

On our Rotterdam cruise in May, there were several ports where promised long port stays were cut short for various reasons, mostly due to tides. It would seem that some of the itineraries are poorly planned, perhaps not consulting properly with the local pilots. So on our October 31 Rotterdam cruise, we're not going to plan on any of the promised long evenings in port actually happening until the morning of the port stop.

I don't believe it's a conspiracy against those planning private tours since lucrative ships' long tours would get canceled as well at very short notice when the port stays got cut short.

If one is of a suspicious nature, you could speculate that shortening port stays is an attempt to save fuel since the captain would rather travel to the next port at a slower speed. But if this is really the case, it is misrepresentation to promise a long stay in port and then to shorten it merely to save fuel. Another possibility is that the engines cannot make the required speed for a long port stay, but that they do not wish to divulge that information.

I don't get this review. On item 3 he says that age makes no difference, but if you notice, on item 6 he's really emphasizing that they are 30 somethings on a cruise with 70 somethings.....huh. What's up. Maybe they are into vegan fare and hippie stuff or something. This is a very strange review but each to his own. Maybe the OP is really a very sweet person but would be happier elsewhere.:confused:

I also just discovered (by accident) that if you use the center wheel of your mouse to scroll while holding the CTRL key, it will make the font HUGE!

very hilarious. Now you can twist and shout. Shake it up baby.:)

Didn't change the print size for me. :( Just tried it.

Were you using your netbook, or big PC? I am using my netbook and the Ctrl + and Ctrl - worked just fine. I also tried scrolling with the wheel, while holding down Ctrl and that works as well.

Smooth Sailing! :):):)

I also just discovered (by accident) that if you use the center wheel of your mouse to scroll while holding the CTRL key, it will make the font HUGE!

:o I'm on a laptop and don't use a mouse. I use the built in ''pad". There has to be a way to increase the font, I am sure. I'll hunt for it another time...... maybe. :D

I was on the Rotterdam from August 11th until August 23rd, and I have to say I had a very different experience. My sheets were perfect, and there was no mold in the bathroom. If anything, we left port late almost every day. On two occasions, sales of souvenirs had to be postponed until the ship pulled away from the dock because HAL was not allowed to sell things while in port. It was pretty funny the night we left St. Peterburg because there were so many women scoping out the sale that it had a Filene's Basement sort of feel to it when they finally let everyone into the sale area.

As for ages, we had everything from toddlers to the elderly. I am in my 40s, and I did not feel out of place at all. The thing that I will remember most about the Rotterdam was what an international crowd we had. Americans were probably less than half the total. There were many people from Canada, Japan, Australia, the Netherlands, Brazil and Israel to name a few. When I was in the Lido I would try to figure out all the languages I could hear around me. I loved the mix.

As for the salmon, yes, the Lido salmon is awful! And you're right about the DVD rentals; they should be free.

Thank you for your review! That is just the way I like them- the pluses and the minuses with a sense of humor. You complimented the staff highly (most on the HAL board have a very soft spot for the staff- rightly so), and told the rest of it just like it was. Thank you and welcome to CC!

Pluses and minuses? This is great! Ctrl ++! WOW- who knew?

Archived