What would you do

beamer101

We are a family of four (kids aged 11 adn 14, adults aged, well none of your business!) looking at the 12 day Eastern Med cruise next March on the Jade. Here is the issue we are grappling with. We can afford either one balcony room or two inside rooms. We love the idea of having the balcony to watch the Med go past, but we are hesitant at the thought of all of us jammed in one room.

What would you seasoned cruisers do (this is our first cruise)

Thanks in advance for your feedback

Well... how close are you? Seriously, we're a family of three, and we generally always book inside cabins. My mother stayed in one with us on the Dream, and on the Epic we're going to be in a family balcony with her along again. We have never felt cramped, nor have we had any privacy issues, but we're a close family and we all respect each other. The biggest issue we had to deal with was my mom and husband sharing a bathroom, but it was a simple case of giving each other space and taking turns. If your family can do that, you'll be fine in one balcony cabin.

My guess is that this one is going to depend on how well your kids get along... :rolleyes:

Isn't the Med a pretty port-intensive itinerary? If I'm remembering correctly and it is, then I (a balcony fanatic) would say you two insides are best--two bathrooms, more space, etc. With a teen and a tween, you may find that one balcony cabin is simply too close. OTOH, some families are fine all crammed into one cabin. But as you're expressing concern, I'd recommend two cabins over one balcony. I think the idea to try to swing one balcony for the adults and an interior across the hall is a wonderful idea. Your kids are old enough that it could work well, as long as you feel they are responsible enough to be in a separate cabin that is not a connecting one.

beachchick

Honestly I'd save up for one balcony with an inside across the hall. If that isn't possible then I'd vote for 4 ppl. in a balcony! :)

Happy Sails :)

I agree 100% Winnie. I would have to wait a little bit longer and save up to be able to do this, if at all possible.

Honestly I'd save up for one balcony with an inside across the hall. If that isn't possible then I'd vote for 4 ppl. in a balcony! :)

Happy Sails :)

I would also agree with Winnie and if that was not possible would say to go with the insides. Save the money for your excursions as Europe is quite an expensive place to visit. You will be off the ship a lot so may not get full use of the balcony and the space and extra bathroom is probably more valuable.

Isn't the Med a pretty port-intensive itinerary? If I'm remembering correctly and it is, then I (a balcony fanatic) would say you two insides are best--two bathrooms, more space, etc. With a teen and a tween, you may find that one balcony cabin is simply too close. OTOH, some families are fine all crammed into one cabin. But as you're expressing concern, I'd recommend two cabins over one balcony. I think the idea to try to swing one balcony for the adults and an interior across the hall is a wonderful idea. Your kids are old enough that it could work well, as long as you feel they are responsible enough to be in a separate cabin that is not a connecting one.

beachchick

Two bathrooms on a port-intensive itinerary will be a welcome addition.

Take the two insides. Get out the deck plans, and find adjoining rooms.

That way you can open-up the door between the cabins, and have a Suite! ;)

I agree 100% Winnie. I would have to wait a little bit longer and save up to be able to do this, if at all possible.

Me three...this is going to be an expensive memory filled vacation...I would spend a few hundred more for balcony and inside cabin...when you look back at your trip, you won't have regreted it. While it is a pretty port intensive itinerary, it is still amazing to be on your balcony pulling in and out of these beautiful places.

balcony going in and out of port is nice ..but this cruise is all about the ports.....you can get the views from on deck too....plus I used to always book inside guarantee and was normally bumped outside..but I book really early too....

ship excursions are really expensive...you can do things much cheaper on your own..especially for 4...search cruise critic for your ports and you will get a ton of info

This summer we had an inside cabin for our family of 4 (14 yo and a 12 yo) and I would not hesitate at sharing a cabin again. We are very used to all being in the same hotel room and coordinating showers/bathroom time!!

Have a great cruise.

I just did a check based on the information you gave us--

The cost for a low level suite (AF Penthouse)is the same as 1 inside and 1 balcony. Now, I understand that you aren't really considering that, but I personally would give up the balcony in lieu of the space, therefore I think the suite could make such a difference. It's more space--almost the same amount of space as 2 insides.

Many people try to get off the ship by 8.30 - 9.00 . This means that you have to go up for breakfast by about 7.30/7.45.

For 4 people to use the same bathroom and be ready by that time means you really have to get up early.

The same thing applies on your return from a day sight seeing. You'll be tired and looking forward to a shower to freshen up and it's difficult for 4 of you.

What about an ocean view and an inside.

We are a family of four (kids aged 11 adn 14, adults aged, well none of your business!) looking at the 12 day Eastern Med cruise next March on the Jade. Here is the issue we are grappling with. We can afford either one balcony room or two inside rooms. We love the idea of having the balcony to watch the Med go past, but we are hesitant at the thought of all of us jammed in one room.

What would you seasoned cruisers do (this is our first cruise)

Thanks in advance for your feedback

I've done balcony, mini's, inside and windows. I've had some balcony's and the weather was a bit iffy and thought it of no value. Conversely, insides aren't bad at all. I think the value is in the inside cabins but depending on where we are going and the pricing differences, I'm open to about anything.

The Med is pretty port intensive and I personally would do two inside as four in a room makes for a pretty tough trip. 12 days with teenagers in the same room would not make for a good vacation for me. Too much togetherness for me, I'm afraid.

Your call.

I am agreeing with the folks who suggested more than one cabin. With an 11 year-old and a 14 year-old, space, privacy, and two bathrooms will be important. Even closet and drawer space for a 12-day cruise would be difficult for a family of 4. On our last cruise, for my husband and me, we booked an inside cabin well in advance of the cruise. About two months out, the price dropped and we were able to move to a balcony cabin, and also got a nice onboard credit. I would at least try to save enough for an oceanview cabin with an inside cabin across the hall, or adjoining oceanview cabins. After you book it and pay your deposit, contact your agent regularly to see if the price drops, then if it does, ask for an upgrade.:cool:

We did a 14 day Med last November with our three kids. We had an outside oceanview (large porthole) and the kids had an inside across the hall. We felt we could not afford a balcony and I don't like being in an inside cabin it is just TOO dark for me and 14 days would have been no fun. I don't know what the weather will be in March but you might not be sitting on the balcony much anyway. I would try for an oceanview for you and an inside for the kids or two insides. 12 days is a LONG time to share a room with four people. We've never had a balcony, and while it would be nice, I like to spend the extra money on other things like having fun in the ports. There are usually lots of nice spots on deck or around the ship you can enjoy watching the ship go in or out of a place and sometimes they arrive so early in the morning you will be asleep anyway!

Well, for me, I cannot ever stay in a inside cabin. No window.....no way. I get a little too closed in for me. I have a 16 yr old who has been on 6 cruises with us. My daughter who is now 22 also has sailed with us before. We did put all of us in a balcony. My daughter loved the balcony so much that she actually slept on a lounge chair on the balcony. She loved it with her light out there, reading a book and sleeping under the stars. My son was always involved in the kids groups that he was hardly in the room unless he was sleeping.

Go for the Balcony. Try to upgrade to a suite or see what is the largest room you can afford. It will be cheaper paying for the 3rd and 4th passanger then paying full fare for all 4 of you. Use that extra money for a larger cabin.

Have a great time! :D

My first choice would be to look into the price of the family mini suite (not really a suite), then if that's too expensive, with the age of your children, i would def go with 2 insides!

I don't think that Jade has a family mini suite category, unless it has been added. Jade has regular AF/AG mini suites. There's the AB family penthouse (plus the A3, of course), but that's probably not an option.

balcony going in and out of port is nice ..but this cruise is all about the ports.....you can get the views from on deck too....plus I used to always book inside guarantee and was normally bumped outside..but I book really early too....

ship excursions are really expensive...you can do things much cheaper on your own..especially for 4...search cruise critic for your ports and you will get a ton of info

That's great, but a gentle reminder is that not everyone who books a GTY is upgraded. Many are assigned into exactly the minimum category of their GTY.

beachchick

you are only guaranteed an inside...we have normally been bumped outside but not always...which is why I now book guaranteed outside (obstructed view)...at least get a window ....but since I started doing that have not been upgraded as much...she who must be obeyed wants balconies but I have a fear of heights so its not that important to me..paying for something I don't use

Archived