Bag of laundry = USD $20 on Navigator and other Voyager-class ships?

mikeerdas

In the past, I have read of a USD $20 special for doing an entire bag of laundry. For those who have recently, or semi-recently, cruised on 7 night Navigator sailings, is this special still offered? And if so, which day of the cruise is it offered on? Also wondering how big the "bag of laundry" can be.

I have nothing, thank goodness, that needs dry cleaning or ironing. No self-service laundry on RCL ships, and paying a few dollars per item seems, to me, unreasonably expensive; e.g. a load of laundry at a U.S. laundromat probably costs USD $5 max for washing and drying. Guess I'm not used to paying by the item to have things washed. In the IT profession, I'm mercifully not required to wear a "worker costume" that needs dry cleaning, pressing, ironing and other special treatment.

Just off the Radiance, but it should be the same for the Navigator. A bag of laundry was $25 and was given on day 5 of the cruise. It was delivered back by 5 on the next day.

Now, my kids seemed to have grown overnight, so some of the clothes we took didn't fit and as we were traveling a few days before the cruise, I was sending out laundry as of day 2. Paying by the piece did not really seem to be more expensive than the laundry bag. Keep in mind that only certain items can go in the laundry bag and the laundry bag they give you is only about the size of a grocery bag. Only things like underwear, t-shirts, shorts and pajamas can go in the laundry bag. Blouses, dress shirts, nice pants cannot go in. Even though I stuffed the laundry bag with kid-size stuff, I estimate that I only saved a couple of dollars with the laundry bag rather than doing it by piece. As platinum, I got a $5 off coupon for laundry over $25. In the past, I've waited for that laundry bag. Now, I don't think it's so much of a deal.

We had also moved just before the cruise. I didn't have laundry machines for the week before our cruise. So, the day before we got on the plane found me in a local laundromat. Never again! Although it seemed like not a bad idea, the laundromat was steamy and took forever. I was more than happy to pay about $10 more per load to have someone else do it.

Thanks for the reply.

Just off the Radiance, but it should be the same for the Navigator. A bag of laundry was $25 and was given on day 5 of the cruise. It was delivered back by 5 on the next day.

Paying by the piece did not really seem to be more expensive than the laundry bag. Keep in mind that only certain items can go in the laundry bag and the laundry bag they give you is only about the size of a grocery bag.

By grocery bag, do you mean the small plastic bags like the ones you typically get at Walmart or Target? Or do you mean a tallish, paper grocery bag (would hold more, but still not a lot).

Only things like underwear, t-shirts, shorts and pajamas can go in the laundry bag. Blouses, dress shirts, nice pants cannot go in.

What about jeans? No dress shirts (unless a golf shirt counts) and no "nice pants" (my concession to 'fashion' may be a single pair of tropic weight khakis).

Even though I stuffed the laundry bag with kid-size stuff, I estimate that I only saved a couple of dollars with the laundry bag rather than doing it by piece. As platinum, I got a $5 off coupon for laundry over $25. In the past, I've waited for that laundry bag. Now, I don't think it's so much of a deal.

We had also moved just before the cruise. I didn't have laundry machines for the week before our cruise. So, the day before we got on the plane found me in a local laundromat. Never again! Although it seemed like not a bad idea, the laundromat was steamy and took forever. I was more than happy to pay about $10 more per load to have someone else do it.

Thanks again for the information. May pay by the piece after all. My habit, after many years of backpacking and independent travel, is to wash a little bit each day in the sink with liquid camping soap--socks and undergarments mostly. Cotton t-shirts don't wash well that way, although microfiber ones do (dry quickly).

Mostly need shorts, jeans, and t-shirts washed. Do you recall the prices per piece for these items?

By grocery bag, do you mean the small plastic bags like the ones you typically get at Walmart or Target? Or do you mean a tallish, paper grocery bag (would hold more, but still not a lot).

Well, the bag was paper, but it was narrow. I would estimate that the volume was about the same as a small plastic grocery bag, maybe 10% more, but it didn't have any ability to stretch.

I forgot that socks are also included in the all-you-can-stuff. Socks are $1.25 per pair as is underwear. I don't recall the exact prices for t-shirts or shorts, but I think they were in the $3 range. I don't think jeans are included in the all you can stuff bag, but I would think that they would take up too much room in the bag to make it worthwhile to put them in. I don't think there was a per piece price specifically for jeans. My memory for the price for pants is worse than that for t-shirts, but if I had to hazard a guess, I would say they were more than shorts, but less than $6.

Well, the bag was paper, but it was narrow. I would estimate that the volume was about the same as a small plastic grocery bag, maybe 10% more, but it didn't have any ability to stretch.

I forgot that socks are also included in the all-you-can-stuff. Socks are $1.25 per pair as is underwear. I don't recall the exact prices for t-shirts or shorts, but I think they were in the $3 range. I don't think jeans are included in the all you can stuff bag, but I would think that they would take up too much room in the bag to make it worthwhile to put them in. I don't think there was a per piece price specifically for jeans. My memory for the price for pants is worse than that for t-shirts, but if I had to hazard a guess, I would say they were more than shorts, but less than $6.

We got a plastic bag from the Cabin Attendent and did not use the paper one in the closet .We stuffed nearly 40 items in the bag t-shirts ,shorts,udies,golf shirts,pjs,.The will not iron anything.We saved easily 40 bucks over ala carte pricing.The bag was much deeper than a plastic bag from the grocery store but not as wide.You could really stuff that bag.We got two paper bags back with everything neatly folded.We paid 20 but some ships charge 25

• 4 weeks later...

It was USD $5 to get a pair of jeans washed. A little less than that for shorts. I snapped a few photos of the laundry costs sheet and hope to post them when I get around to sorting out my photos.

Can I post photos on cruisecritic directly, or do I have to post them somewhere else and link to them?

On Rhapsody in September I had a pair of jeans washed for $3.50. Jeans were not listed under the women's clothing section of the laundry sheet, so I chose the mens jeans. The alternative was to call them "slacks" and pay about $6.00.

I put the jeans in one evening and had them back by lunchtime the next day, pressed and on a hanger.

No one has pressed my jeans for me before this since my mother did it when I was a child. I thought $3.50 was a bargain for this service.

The "Wash and Fold" special is for items that don't need pressing. It specifies: under ware, undershirts, PJ's, socks and handkerchiefs.

It was rather odd they would offer this early (about the 4th day) of a 14 day cruise.....who would have that much laundry in that little time....unless you are traveling with 2 or 3 kids, otherwise it was worthless to 2 adults. JMO! They did however offer it again later in the cruise when I could of filled the bag with no problem, but I didn't do the "wash and fold"...we used ships laundry twice for jeans and sweatshirts of our everyday wear.

Ships laundry is very comparible to land prices if not cheaper!

I will definitely be taking advantage of this service on my B2B next summer. I was unaware that the price was $25 per bag, I was under the impression that it was only $20... Maybe another price hike?!? I still think this is better than paying for overweight luggage!

In the "new and improved" coupon book, you get $5 off a $25+ laundry order. Hmmmmmm. Bag used to be $20, now it is $25. Spinning my wheels here.

Tucker in Texas

In the "new and improved" coupon book, you get $5 off a $25+ laundry order. Hmmmmmm. Bag used to be $20, now it is $25. Spinning my wheels here.

Tucker in Texas

If you use the new and improved coupon....take it to GR before you give the laundry to your attendant! Same with the Internet coupon.....BEFORE you go on the computer!

Doing 14 day TA cruise next April so interested in this... curious did all the items larger and smaller come back to you..anything missing?

Hi Emmy, we did the $20 Wash & Fold Bag when we did our consecutive cruise on Radiance last April. Since we were on the ship for 29 days, we got to fill the bag each week.

They give you a three part form to fill out and then when you are finished you keep the last copy and send the other two with the laundry. You put your name and cabin number on the outside of the bag. Everything was returned without a problem. It was washed and folded.........and it was mainly for t-shirts, pajamas, underwear, socks and bathing suits.

Make sure you fill out your name and folio number on the three part form. I was in a hurry and forgot and when our laundry didn't come back I panicked. Luckily we had a great cabin attendant that took the copy I had kept and sure enough there was one bag waiting to be delivered...........ours.:o

We used the Laundry Bag on our recent 12 night cruise on the Brilliance; yes, it was $25.00 and the coupon was not applicable.

In addition to the socks, undies, tank tops (mine), pjs etc. I put in one of my DH's golf shirts. It came back on a hanger and we were charged for the cleaning under Polo Shirts. No biggie. Just a heads-up to read the fine print.

Since we had spent some time in Barcelona pre-cruise the timing (day 5) worked out well for the laundry bag service; the second laundry bag day however was only a few days later. :confused:

Kathy:)

Hi Emmy, we did the $20 Wash & Fold Bag when we did our consecutive cruise on Radiance last April. Since we were on the ship for 29 days, we got to fill the bag each week.

They give you a three part form to fill out and then when you are finished you keep the last copy and send the other two with the laundry. You put your name and cabin number on the outside of the bag. Everything was returned without a problem. It was washed and folded.........and it was mainly for t-shirts, pajamas, underwear, socks and bathing suits.

Make sure you fill out your name and folio number on the three part form. I was in a hurry and forgot and when our laundry didn't come back I panicked. Luckily we had a great cabin attendant that took the copy I had kept and sure enough there was one bag waiting to be delivered...........ours.:o

Thanks for the info Patti..let me take this chance to say how much I love your new avatar...a new family member perhaps? :)

Archived