Which One - New Acropolis Museum or National Archaelogical

JohnoClark

If you only have time for one museum, I'd make it the National Archeological Museum. The new Acropolis museum is much smaller and primarily contains artifacts related only to the Acropolis, whereas the National Museum houses treasures from all over Greece and has some truly wonderful things.

If you only have time for one museum, I'd make it the National Archeological Museum. The new Acropolis museum is much smaller and primarily contains artifacts related only to the Acropolis, whereas the National Museum houses treasures from all over Greece and has some truly wonderful things.

My original thought was to second the National Museum, the place is fabulous and has a huge collection. We loved the place! The only downside is that you simply can't see it all. It was the only museum we visit during our tour but didn't feel we had enough time. It really takes more then a couple hours to do justice to its huge collection. With that thought not clear if you might want to see the larger museum with not enough time for everything or a smaller collection at the Acropolis and see it all :confused:

If you have the time, I would definitely say the National Archaeological Museum.

I have been to both and although the Acropolis museum is interesting, it is much more limited and many of the displays are at least partially reconstructed.

I concur with Cynthia's opinion 100%!:)

Yes, it is very big, but one can choose to focus on certain collections, such as the magnificent Mycenean artifacts, the small but fabulous Akrotiri display, the bronze statues, etc.

Archived