Question Regarding Updating Passport -

Lady_Gamecock

Baby_G was only eight (8) months old when DH and I took her on her first cruise back in 2007. Next month, we will be taking her on the Ancient Empires Cruise but I have a concern. Since she was only 8 months old in the photo, obviously she was just a baby but now she's a "sophisticated" 3 years old and looks nothing like her photo in her passport.

Has anyone ever had any problems with their grand-/child's passport because they don't look like thier photo? Have any of you had to have their passports updated?

Thanks for your help!

Lady_G

I've never had a problem. A US Child's passport is good for five years, and I certainly would not pay to renew it any earlier than I had to.

The same applies to adults. Many times in ten years there are lots of changes including hair style and color. It's fine. If it wasn't we would have to renew them much more often.

Keith

DS now 4, had his passport photo taken when he was about 8 months. He goes through Canadian immigration frequently - about 4 times last month alone! It helps that he has 2 siblings who look somewhat like their pictures taken around the same time and that he looks like me. He's never had a problem. They've never even mentioned it.

Our LO had her passport picture done at 3 weeks...she turns 3 at the end of the month. The folks at the passport office said that once the first border agent questions it, it is time to have the photo updated (which we can do for free in Canada). Nothing has been said.

We just got back from Canada cruise with a 12 yr old and 15 yr old. The 12 yr old's passport picture was from when she was 7 1/2, and looks nothing like her now! In addition, she is now 5'6" tall, and looks lots older that 12. Coming in from Canada at one of the ports the passport checker did ask her how old she was (presumably because she did not look the age of the date of birth on the passport). Since her answer was (of course) correct, we had no problem re-entering the ship.

So I agree there should be no problem, but don't be surprised if your child is asked his/her name (in a friendly fashion) which may serve to allow the passport checker to feel better about the child being the same one on the passport.

my oldest daughter had huge blue eyes, porcelain skin, and she was bald in her first passport photo taken at 6 mos

about 18 mos her eyes turned hazel green, and her face was covered in freckles. we were never questioned, although I wouldn't have been surprised if we were

now her recent passport she really hates. somehow she thought it would be a great idea to use glittery spray and lip gloss and she looks like she just ate a greasy porkchop

I'm sure everything will be fine

Have fun

• 2 weeks later...

Archived